Rock in Rio 2021 announced (possible album tour)

Just a wee thought, Rio is normally live streamed correct? If so we'll be able to get half decent quality live versions of new songs fairly soon after the album release.

If they are gonna play at Rock in Rio 2021 I think it's not gonna be the only and unique show in South America so I think it will be a South American tour either promoting the new album or if they still touring with The Legacy of the Beast Tour because they have long time before that show, maybe a Legacy of the Beast grand finale. October the announcement of the new album and February 2022 start the new album tour in Australia, Japan and USA…

If they are gonna play at Rock in Rio 2021 I think it's not gonna be the only and unique show in South America so I think it will be a South American tour either promoting the new album or if they still touring with The Legacy of the Beast Tour because they have long time before that show, maybe a Legacy of the Beast grand finale. October the announcement of the new album and February 2022 start the new album tour in Australia, Japan and USA…

Thats very true they could use that as a grand finale Bruce saying "Last year’s Legacy tour was so much fun, you’ll just have to wait and see what we have planned for next time…." Could literally mean anything a few new songs or extra props to make it seem a little different haha.

They Could easily just drop an album later in the year and start a new tour in Aus / NZ 2022 head to the US after etc

Bruce is giving very clear hints that it isn't LOTB.

Actually looking back at the announcement for the final European shows they have made it sound there could be more Legacy shows next year but not in Europe.

"Four more shows are announced in Europe for the 2021 final leg of the Legacy Of The Beast Tour."

"This completes the Legacy Of The Beast Summer 2021 touring schedule and no further dates will be added. "

Last edited:
You have a good point, and I'm thinking this may also be the reason they're holding back a new album release, recorded or not.
Yea, if there’s an album they’re waiting for a tour to go with it.

I still have mixed feelings on whether this tour goes ahead. Large scale tours next year feels optimistic. Most predictions I’ve seen within the US is that the general population will be vaccinated around April at the earliest, followed by a period of achieving herd immunity. That’s just one country, but probably a good model of what an accelerated vaccination period looks like. It also assumes everything runs smoothly: no shortages, a public information campaign that leads to a majority of people taking the vaccine, etc. It is going to take months upon widespread distribution for the vaccine to actually take effect and for mass gatherings to be safe. Concerts are among the last things that will come back because of that.

Additionally, Ticketmaster is talking about putting in place vaccine verification systems for venues’ discretion. If that sort of mechanism is in place, nobody is going to be holding concerts if it seems like enough of the potential audience hasn’t been vaccinated yet. In Europe and America at least, promoters probably don’t want to put on concerts while it’s still a potential liability. All these things make me believe that concerts of Maiden’s magnitude won’t be a thing until at least late 2021, which is when there is less activity anyway.

As Perun noted, the Brazilian government might be quicker to ease restrictions than Europe or even the US, so I don’t have trouble believing that Maiden could play a concert there. The question is whether they want to risk attending a super spreader event. I hope not and I hope a judgment is made on whether the event feels safe when the time comes.

I’ve mentioned this before but these bands are in a tough position where they have to announce these tour dates now so that they can start the promotion process in the event that the tour does happen. But I think we should continue to act under the assumption that it’s not likely.

Bruce is giving very clear hints that it isn't LOTB.

Actually looking back at the announcement for the final European shows they have made it sound there could be more Legacy shows next year but not in Europe.

"Four more shows are announced in Europe for the 2021 final leg of the Legacy Of The Beast Tour."

"This completes the Legacy Of The Beast Summer 2021 touring schedule and no further dates will be added. "

You could be right, but I think they are not going to do another extensive run of concerts with LOTB tour - it will be just the 18 dates in Europe....(the scenario was the same with the ME tour).

What is curious in the announcement of the RIR show is that it does not specifically mention that it will be part of LOTB 3rd leg and maybe it is going to be part of the new album tour - that means they have to change stage production mid tour.... (they've done that before with Give Me Ed.../DOD tours).

Yea, if there’s an album they’re waiting for a tour to go with it.

It would offer a solution to the problem why Maiden activity was clearly registered in Paris last year but nothing came out of it to the public. If (and this is a big if) it is allowed to make assumptions about Maiden's plans based on recent activity, I could imagine the following: Maiden made a good experience with the way they planned ahead for LOTB, being able to announce the tour right at the end of the TBOS cycle. The fact that they used the FTGGOG bassline in the LOTB announcement suggests to me that the plans for the tour were already quite detailed, down to the setlist.
They may have planned the same this time: Announce a new album and tour at the end of LOTB with the new album actually already being in the can and ready to be shipped by late 2020. This would have saved them time and kept the promotion going. Then Corona hit and all their plans were ditched but, as you suggested, they are contractually obliged to play this leg of the tour under the LOTB moniker and can only begin a new album cycle when that is done.

Additionally, Ticketmaster is talking about putting in place vaccine verification systems for venues’ discretion.

This is not going to happen in Europe because an entity such as Ticketmaster cannot legally perform medical tests, or verification of citizen's medical records, as they shouldn't because they're a fucking ticket salesmen middleware scam.

But of course the verification can be done by a licensed state/public actor at the concert venue under emergency regulations which mandate presence of such tests for any gathering larger than x.

The fact that they used the FTGGOG bassline in the LOTB announcement suggests to me that the plans for the tour were already quite detailed, down to the setlist.
Maiden does this. If I recall correctly the setlist for Somewhere Back in Time was decided by Bruce and Steve backstage at one of the gigs in 2007.

The setlist for The Book of Souls was also decided early, remember the document at the chinese governments website?

This reeks of a Give Me Ed style tour I reckon. North America in Aug 21 through to select South American shows culminating in Rio on 24th Sept 21.

Setlist same as legacy with 2 or 3 songs dropped out, 1 brand new song and 2 changed songs swapped in.

New album released late Sept or early Oct, new album tour starts Feb 22. That way if some or all 2021 shows are cancelled the new album tour still starts as planned in 2022.

Maiden does this. If I recall correctly the setlist for Somewhere Back in Time was decided by Bruce and Steve backstage at one of the gigs in 2007.
That's not logical. Entirely different tour. Why would they suddenly make a setlist for the next. It could have happened. But without the source I'm not buying that easily. The production needs to fit (or lead) the setlist as well.

That's not logical. Entirely different tour. Why would they suddenly make a setlist for the next. It could have happened. But without the source I'm not buying that easily. The production needs to fit (or lead) the setlist as well.

The source is Bruce Dickinson. Steve and him decided the setlist for the Somewhere Back in Time 2008 tour backstage in Rome in 2007.

Edit: The first time I heard him mention that was on his BBC 6 Music Rock Show on 29th February 2008.

Last edited:
I think Maiden's plans was - LOTB 3rd leg (June-July 2021), then straight to the album tour (as Rod said: pretty busy 2021) in early September.

But because of the tight schedule (the 3rd leg of LOTB is guilty for that) - maybe they planning to do these 18 dates of the 3rd leg + the RIR show and other dates (again part of LOTB 3rd leg... /I doubt that/...with maybe little changes in the setlist) and then new album released at the end of the year with a tour starting in February 2022 (and 2nd leg in 2023)... like it was with TBOS album and tour.

If there are no concerts next year - they can release the album when they want with a tour for it in 2022 (that means cancelling LOTB 3rd leg, if it's possible).

Back