Replacing Nicko?

Very good points. Mikkey Dee, for example, would have a complety different tool box through his experience to deal with all of that.

And of course it would help that he is already respected and known and already has a lot of fans when announced as new Iron Maiden drummer.
Don't be naive , Steve.
But Mickey Dees style wouldn´t fit Maiden at all... He has absolutely different groove.

As much as we love Nicko, it's possible that we would be SHOCKED at how good and rejuvenated Maiden sounds live with a new drummer. Just a thought.

edit: and then we would be shocked even more, when we would find out that Maiden sounds great with a new singer (if chosen correctly) ha ha.

edit: and then we would be shocked even more, when we would find out that Maiden sounds great with a new singer (if chosen correctly) ha ha.

Considering the majority of the material since 2006 or so (and throw in SSOASS - the song - for example, which I've always felt it doesn't really suit Bruce's registre), I'd argue Blaze would absolutely slay in current Maiden, and I'll die on that hill.

On the one hand, there are bands who, as soon as one of their members isn't suitable or doesn't meet expectations, are replaced, even if it's only when they can't play a song in the studio or when they're not up to touring. A perfect example would be a band like Kiss! Here, what counts is that the band keeps touring, keeps moving forward, no matter how or which members are in the band or have played on this or that song in the studio.

On the other hand, there are bands I'd call traditionalists who stay together, do everything together no matter what, they've got a career together, so they stay together. Here it doesn't matter how good the performances are, there's a kind of respect for all the members of the band, a loyalty, and that comes before the quality of what's on offer.

And I think Maiden is more in that second category. So, even though at the moment I admit I find it hard to even watch some of the clips on YouTube, because I can't help thinking about the last 30 years I've spent as a fan, seeing them on stage at the top of their game, seeing Steve or Bruce running and jumping around, Nicko with his power and legendary cool attitude, always smiling while playing almost effortless, I'm not sure a guy like Steve (or Rod?) is up to replace a member that has been in the band for more than 40 years..even if the quality is unfortunately no longer at the level it used to be...The irony with this is that Steve has said on many occasions that he would like Maiden to mainly be remembered as a great live band...

On the one hand, there are bands who, as soon as one of their members isn't suitable or doesn't meet expectations, are replaced, even if it's only when they can't play a song in the studio or when they're not up to touring. A perfect example would be a band like Kiss! Here, what counts is that the band keeps touring, keeps moving forward, no matter how or which members are in the band or have played on this or that song in the studio.

On the other hand, there are bands I'd call traditionalists who stay together, do everything together no matter what, they've got a career together, so they stay together. Here it doesn't matter how good the performances are, there's a kind of respect for all the members of the band, a loyalty, and that comes before the quality of what's on offer.

And I think Maiden is more in that second category. So, even though at the moment I admit I find it hard to even watch some of the clips on YouTube, because I can't help thinking about the last 30 years I've spent as a fan, seeing them on stage at the top of their game, seeing Steve or Bruce running and jumping around, Nicko with his power and legendary cool attitude, always smiling while playing almost effortless, I'm not sure a guy like Steve (or Rod?) is up to replace a member that has been in the band for more than 40 years..even if the quality is unfortunately no longer at the level it used to be...The irony with this is that Steve has said on many occasions that he would like Maiden to mainly be remembered as a great live band...

I agree. Also, it is somewhat sad to see the iron showing evident rusting. :(

I don't know what the right thing to do is for Iron Maiden. Nicko is an important part of the band, but certainly, I've seen him as the least important member personally for a long time. Obviously to the guys in the band, that's just not true, and he's part of them, very deeply. I'm sorry he's not as healthy as he once was, and age comes for us all.

I've seen The Future Past Tour twice, and in both times I could feel the energy was a little different, but I still loved seeing my favourite band. But the dissention on stage worries me. I don't think the drum fills matter as much, but the tempo sure does, and that seems to have suffered in places.

I just hope they sit down together and be honest with each other about Nicko's capabilities. Maybe he improves. Maybe this is the best he can be. But whatever it is, make an honest decision and be upfront with it. Make changes if he's sticking around. Whatever you need to do.

Back