Religion test thing

A "fundy-based AA group"? No, I strongly doubt it.

I've heard that Bush quit drinking through help from a fundametalist church; AA was not involved. Three things come to mind...

First, many people have a tendency to assume that all alcohol-recovery groups are AA. That is not true. AA was the first organization of it's kind and is the most famous, but it does not hold a monopoly on the rehabilitation of alcoholics.

Second, even if Bush did attend AA, it was in addition to his fundamentalist church. It could be that his two sources of help were thought to be the same by some reporters.

Third, many AA groups meet in churches. AA pays for the rental of a room in the church. We refuse to accept a freely-offered meeting space, as this would constitute a contribution from an outside source. Renting a room in a church does not mean AA endorses that church or that the church endorses AA, though AA and churches do tend to get along well because they both try to help drunks get sober. Again, a reporter who wasn't aware of these details could easily misconstrue the significance of seeing an AA group at a church.

AA is faith-based in the sense that it suggests members find the strength in their own religion which will help them to quit drinking. However, AA itself endorses no particular religion. Therefore AA is open to members of all religions - and I've known Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, atheists and agnostics in AA.

If there is or was an AA group which endorsed evangelical Christianity, then that group is violating the principles which AA was founded on. They may call themselves AA, but no other AA members around the world would agree with them. Because of the way AA works, such a group can't be stopped or kicked out of AA. But such "disciplinary actions" aren't needed anyway - groups which break AA's traditions almost always fall apart of their own accord. I've seen it happen - religious arguments among the members tear the group apart from the inside. Kind of like a bunch of Maiden fans arguing about who's the better god, Adrian Smith or Steve Harris.

I saw the same documentary and Bush did in fact attend an evangelically funded rehab center for alcoholics. AA is just a pop culture term to refer to ANY alcohol related rehab center. While I know it is a misnomer, it makes it easier.

It would also be easier if you just admit 'Arry's supremacy [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+May 30 2005, 03:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ May 30 2005, 03:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]AA is just a pop culture term to refer to ANY alcohol related rehab center. While I know it is a misnomer, it makes it easier.
[snapback]106403[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yes, I know what you're saying is true - most people think AA and all rehabs are the same thing. I alluded to that in my post above.

However, Alcoholics Anonymous is a distinct organization with a copyrighted name - an organization which I am a member of, and which saved my life (that's not an exaggeration) eleven years ago. I hope you can understand why I get a bit sensitive when misinformation is spread about AA, even when done innocently and by mistake.

It's totally understandable, mate. And, in the future, I'm sure we'll all remember the difference.

In conclusion:

Bush sucks.

agnosticism
100%
Satanism
100%
atheism
79%
Buddhism
75%
Islam
67%
Judaism
54%
Paganism
46%
Christianity
21%
Hinduism
13%

That's a bit disturbing...

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+May 25 2005, 04:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ May 25 2005, 04:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]... Xianity is the most ridiculous dungpile of lies ever concocted.
Oh well.
[snapback]105602[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/nod.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /] But the same goes for all of "the big three".

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Jun 1 2005, 02:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Jun 1 2005, 02:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That's a bit disturbing...
[snapback]106632[/snapback]​
[/quote]
How so? Because of the 100% Satanism?

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Jun 2 2005, 12:29 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Jun 2 2005, 12:29 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/nod.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /] But the same goes for all of "the big three".
[snapback]106840[/snapback]​
[/quote]
What three are those? or what do you mean by "big" is it popularity? Number of followers? number of missionaries? I'm guessing you mean Judaism, Christianity and Islam aka Western Religions (though NONE of them founded in the "West") aka the Abrahamic Religions. However Judaism is not "big" neither in popularity, number of followers and they don't do missions. In fact of these three religions Judaism is the one that makes most sense (no confusing trinity or killing of God, no more crazy prophets like mohamed, Orthodox Jews acknowledge only ONE form of Judaism etc.) So I'd say it is not full of shit at all.... in comparison. However as a Christian I could care less [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 2 2005, 11:16 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 2 2005, 11:16 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm guessing you mean Judaism, Christianity and Islam aka Western Religions (though NONE of them founded in the "West") aka the Abrahamic Religions.
[snapback]106977[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yeah.....them three.
[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 2 2005, 11:16 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 2 2005, 11:16 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]In fact of these three religions Judaism is the one that makes most sense (no confusing trinity or killing of God, no more crazy prophets like mohamed, Orthodox Jews acknowledge only ONE form of Judaism etc.) So I'd say it is not full of shit at all.... in comparison. However as a Christian I could care less [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]106977[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I think all religions are full of shit. But I am vehemently anti-Christian.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 2 2005, 04:07 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 2 2005, 04:07 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That is equally disturbing...
[snapback]107034[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/phflbt.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Okay, SIASL, quit with the single emoticon responses. An edit works just as well.

Secondly, I apologize to DOD=WEAK, since I jumped to conclusions. I believe Mr. Judge violated the First Amendment most heinously, and the ruling will be easily overturned.

I still stand by my statement, even though when I typed it I was chuckling I don't think advocating the shooting of anybody and being intolerant of other's religion(s) in a public board is not acceptable, even though everybody lets it slide until it gets out of hand.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 3 2005, 01:24 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 3 2005, 01:24 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Okay, SIASL, quit with the single emoticon responses.  An edit works just as well.
[snapback]107093[/snapback]​
[/quote]
You don't like post-whores? [img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/eek.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

[img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+Jun 6 2005, 02:56 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ Jun 6 2005, 02:56 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] but soon they will be gone, after religion fades. This post is a waste of time. Please don't anyone read this post!
[snapback]107541[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Too late I already did [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] , And sorry to spoil it for ya but religion will never fade, it will merely change and adapt like everything else that wishes to survive does. That's why we (human race) have gone from polytheism to monotheism to a wierd ass mixture of science, pseudo-science and religion (I'm talking about the wierd french canadians the Regelians that believe we are clones from Aliens or clones created by Aliens.)

[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+Jun 5 2005, 09:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ Jun 5 2005, 09:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]However I disagree that the judge should be shot. That makes you worse than he, stranger, to wish something like that.
[/quote]
[!--emo&:rolleyes2:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes[2].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes[2].gif\' /][!--endemo--] X10. I repeat, it's called exaggeration.
[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+Jun 5 2005, 09:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ Jun 5 2005, 09:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The 'moral majority' are invading, but soon they will be gone, after religion fades.
[/quote]
We can only hope. Articles like the one I posted only show the adverse affect Christianity has on us all.

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Jun 6 2005, 09:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Jun 6 2005, 09:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:rolleyes2:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes[2].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes[2].gif\' /][!--endemo--] X10. I repeat, it's called exaggeration.

We can only hope. Articles like the one I posted only show the adverse affect Christianity has on us all.
[snapback]107633[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Christianity has no adverse effect on anybody. FUNDAMENTALISTS and FANATICS do. please don't confuse the actions of people with what a philosophy/religion really says.

Back