Religion test thing

NO, first off Lavey's is the FIRST organized form of Satanism, also it is NOT hedonistic. Hedonism IS NOT a religion, nor a philosophy but rather a behavior like 'libertine'. Hedonisim is about excess of pleasure, food, drink, sex etc. Satanism is the advancing and fortification of the self. They "worship" Satan because he had the guts to give God the finger and go his own way. THEY ARE NOT EVIL. However it is detrimental as they do engage in decadent behavior (like orgies), they encourage revenge and of course being selfish instead of selfless. Thats Satanism in a nutshell.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+May 26 2005, 05:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ May 26 2005, 05:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]NO, first off Lavey's is the FIRST organized form of Satanism, also it is NOT hedonistic.
[snapback]105727[/snapback]​
[/quote]
...Okay, never mind.[img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]
[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+May 26 2005, 05:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ May 26 2005, 05:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hedonism IS NOT a religion, nor a philosophy but rather a behavior like 'libertine'. Hedonisim is about excess of pleasure, food, drink, sex etc.
[/quote]
Actually Hedonism is a philosophy.
[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+May 26 2005, 05:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ May 26 2005, 05:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hedonisim is about excess of pleasure, food, drink, sex etc. Satanism is the advancing and fortification of the self. They "worship" Satan because he had the guts to give God the and go his own way. THEY ARE NOT EVIL. However it is detrimental as they do engage in decadent behavior (like orgies), they encourage revenge and of course being selfish instead of selfless. Thats Satanism in a nutshell.
[/quote]
I thought the difference depended on the brand of Satanism?[img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/headscratch.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hedonism, pronounced HEE duh nihz uhm, is the belief that pleasure is the highest good of life. The term hedonism comes from a Greek word meaning pleasure. In ancient Greece, the Epicureans and Cyrenaics based their ethical philosophies on the idea that pleasure is the highest good. But the Epicureans believed that people should seek pleasures of the mind rather than pleasures of the body. The wise person, they thought, avoids pleasures which may later cause pain. In modern philosophy, hedonism has taken a different form. The hedonistic utilitarians believe that people should seek not their own individual pleasure alone, but the greatest good for the greatest number of people. They think of good in terms of pleasure (see UTILITARIANISM).

Contributor: S. Marc Cohen, Ph.D., Professor of Philosophy, University of Washington.
[/quote]
ok I was wrong, it is a philosophy [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]An anti-Christian movement called Satanism has a small number of followers in Europe and North America. Satanism involves elements of magic and witchcraft. Its chief ceremony is the Black Mass, a distorted version of a Christian church service in which the worshipers praise Satan and ridicule God. 
[/quote]
Both quotes are taken from the World Book Enclyclopedia and i must say I'm rather disapointed with the superficiality of the Satanism one.... The internet holds many more, not necesarily more reliable, sources.

Note that Hedonism was originally pleasure of the mind which could mean philosophical/intellectual persuits while today many people use it as an excuse to indulge in physical pleasure...

Your beliefs are most closely aligned with those of paganism, Wicca, or a similar earth-based religion. You may also follow a Native American religion.

Paganism - 92%
Satanism - 79%
Buddhism - 75%
agnosticism - 71%
atheism - 67%
Islam - 58%
Hinduism - 50%
Judaism - 38%
Christianity - 25%

Hence Forth Thou shalt be known as PAGAN! seriously [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Check out this article:

[a href=\'http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050526/NEWS01/505260481#\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...WS01/505260481#[/a]

Apparently, it's illegal to teach non-mainstream religious beliefs to kids in America. Not that I care at all about Wiccans, but the fact that the government is regulating what religions you can and can't teach your kids is sickening.

The parents and the kid in the article were Wiccans. The parents don't want the child to be kept from Wicca want him to continue the Wiccan ways. That judge has absolutely no right to make this blatantly illegal and unconstitutional decision, and should be removed from the office (or shot, that's the only way to really make sure...fucking Christian moralism).

There's another article on there now...most legal experts are pretty sure the ruling will be overturned.

I did not read the article BUT, that is not going to keep me from saying something somewhat related to it. Because the US doesn't have an official religion AND grants religions tax exemption in a way they do become judges as to what is a religion or not. If Christianity, Islam and Judaism get tax exemption why not scientology or Wicca? Well if the government doesn't recognize you as a religion technically you ARE NOT a religion. Christianity has an overwhelming (and unfair) prefrence over other "mainstream" religions like Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism, financially and socially. Which goes to show that this so-called separation of church and state is a big fat illusion.

Especially under Dubya, who's gov't has handed out millions in funding to Christian faith groups and nothing to Jews or Muslims.

Sweet tap-dancing Christ! [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+May 28 2005, 08:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ May 28 2005, 08:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Check out this article:

[a href=\'http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050526/NEWS01/505260481#\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...WS01/505260481#[/a]

Apparently, it's illegal to teach non-mainstream religious beliefs to kids in America. Not that I care at all about Wiccans, but the fact that the government is regulating what religions you can and can't teach your kids is sickening.

The parents and the kid in the article were Wiccans. The parents don't want the child to be kept from Wicca want him to continue the Wiccan ways. That judge has absolutely no right to make this blatantly illegal and unconstitutional decision, and should be removed from the office (or shot, that's the only way to really make sure...fucking Christian moralism).
[snapback]105964[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Well. You forget that it is in the U.S.A. If they let an idiot become president, who knows what else they do.

[img src=\'http://www.northernsun.com/images/thumb/0758VillageIdiot.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+May 28 2005, 01:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ May 28 2005, 01:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That judge has absolutely no right to make this blatantly illegal and unconstitutional decision, and should be removed from the office (or shot, that's the only way to really make sure...fucking Christian moralism).
[snapback]105964[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Advocating the shooting of a judge (or anyone for that matter) is one of the most morally disgusting things a person can do. Who are you to be judge, jury and executioner of a fellow human being? I don't agree with the judge's decision either, but suggesting he deserves to die is simply vile. Using your own intolerance to decry the intolerance of others accomplishes nothing good. If you want tolerance, then lead by example.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+May 28 2005, 05:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ May 28 2005, 05:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Especially under Dubya, who's gov't has handed out millions in funding to Christian faith groups and nothing to Jews or Muslims.
[snapback]106012[/snapback]​
[/quote]
If it were up to me, no religions would receive government funding. But alas, they do, so they should be funded equally.

Do you even know what they are funding? they are funding AA programs and rehab institutions who's core treatment lies in a faith based strategy. I don't care if they are religious or not, but groups that help people get back on their feet should be funded regardless. The problem is that Muslim and Jewish institutions haven't seen a dime, In theory they should all get funded, in practice only Christian institutions are seeing that money.
However if I were president I wouldn't because I believe it is violation of church and state, private intitutions can fund all they want, the government already gives them tax exemption, they should use tax payers (hindu, muslim, atheist, chritian tax payers) money to fund Christian faith based institutions.

Satanism 92%
agnosticism 88%
Islam 58%
atheism 58%
Buddhism 54%
Paganism 50%
Judaism 46%
Christianity 38%
Hinduism 25%

[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Onhell, I have no problem with funding faith-based AA groups and the like. I have problem with the extreme prejudice shown in the distribution of funding. Bush's cronies have a ridiculous misconception that only their god can provide the light to rehabilitation, which is nonsensical. Ask anyone who's been through a few groups like that and they'll tell you that the real faith you need is faith in yourself!

I meant my post to answer Stranger... not yours [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] However, I agree with you...

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+May 29 2005, 05:28 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ May 29 2005, 05:28 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...they are funding AA programs and rehab institutions...
[snapback]106229[/snapback]​
[/quote]
While I have posted before on this forum about the fact that I am a recovered alcoholic, I have up to this point kept quiet about AA. That's because the 2nd A stands for Anonymous, and we don't reveal our membership unless it's truly appropriate. However, I will now reveal that I have been a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for over eleven years. And as a long-time member, I can tell you the following:

It is against AA policy to accept contributions from any source except our own members. We would not accept money from the government under any circumstances. This policy has been in place since 1947.

I do not deny that the US government may have contributed to other rehab programs, but they most certainly never gave a single cent to AA. And even if someone tried to give money to AA, the contribution would be declined as has happened many times in the past.

I thought I saw in a Bush documentary that he went into recovery after aid by a fundy-based AA group. Maybe my memory's faulty.

Back