Rant Thread

Not a rant any more, but an interesting development.

The guy who cleaned it up did actually time in prison for killing his wife and her lover. So few days after being glorified online he came forward to say people should stop saying what a good guy he was, cause he done some bad bad stuff. So he seeks no fame, he learned from his mistake, sadly can't take things back, and now he just goes around and tries to make the world little less shit.

This country is so fucked. Some german kids sprayed a graffiti on our most famous historical landmark, the Charles bridge, about 2x5 metres. They got a big fine and were sent away. Ok.

Now the municipal government is starting do think how to remove the graffiti. Takes them 14 fucking days to begin the works. Then they send over a team with some small bottles with chemicals from your average drug store and small brushes. They start cleaning it .. estimate of 2 weeks to finish the job, cost about 40 000 CZK.

(Enter some czech dude)

Next morning after they start removing it the graffiti is gone, someone just removed it overnight. The restauraters (restoration people) start bitching that the thing was done unprofesionally and now they need to inspect the fucking stone if it has not been damaged by unprofessional cleaning. Of course they will be paid for everything. Police and govt start looking for the guy who did it.

5 days later a your-uncle-Bob looking dude goes into the police station and says "It was I". Basically an average Joe with a high pressure steam cleaner saw the assholes doing the whole circus around it, got up at 5 on Saturday morning, got to the bridge and removed the thing in 2 hours before all the tourists got up hangover. He said he did it cause after 2 weeks the paint becomes hardened and it was the critical time to clean it off otherwise it would stick and would be much more difficult to get rid of.

Of course the restoration company starts claiming he damaged the bridge by unprofessional cleaning, bla bla. When the guy saw what chemical they used to clean the graffitti off, he said it is some inferior cleaning supply you can buy in a drug store.
By the way, the bridge was first founded in 1357 and went through wars and all that jazz. Still standing. Dogs and drunkards piss on it and nobody really believes some hot water could make any difference, obviously.

Of course they planned to run a thousand tests to determine what will not damage the old stone and used a fucking toothbrush so it takes them 2 weeks and they can produce a nice invoice for the services.

Something that a bald guy with a beer gut washed away in 2 hours with some hot steam.

People say this country will never be rich because the corruption is just so embedded in everybody, it's like those fat bits in Kobe beef. Damn shame.
Nice bridge. I wandered across it a few times. Beer might have been involved.

Just a middle-of-the-day rant that isn't anything new but I wanted to get it out.
It's unbelievable how much time and energy I've spent trying to keep in touch with people who don't deserve that effort at all. So many hours of worry and negative inner monologue just to look back at it years later and know how useless it has been. I wish I could shove a big "fuck you" into their faces and be done with it. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I know I have the power to go on without them...

This recent wave of people posting videos of themselves abusing their pets is the stuff that really pisses me off nowadays. First you had that girl spitting vodka in her cat's mouth, then another girl slapped and spat on her doberman, now someone's put their dog in a dryer. Not for the first time either by the sound of it. "Oh yeah, he liked that shit", yeah, he really looked like he did, you complete fucking moron. Fuck all these pieces of shit.

People who spit are the worst. Not those who do it discreetly or when it’s really necessary, I mean the ones who seem to take pride in it. Recently, I came out of the local grocery store and there’s this guy sitting in front with his rollerblades on, wearing sunglasses, leaning back on the bench like a boss and spitting in a wide arc. “How many times a minute does one have to spit to be this cool?” I wanted to ask him.
A couple of days ago, I was trying to catch the train and was on the last stretch of road when I looked to my left and happened to make eye contact with a teenage guy some 30 metres away. The little brat broke the eye contact and spit in a wide arc while retaining his cool posture, as if to assert some dominance over me. Not in a long time have I wanted to punch someone as bad as that 15 y.o. piece of shit acting all tough. Next time that happens and I don’t have a train to catch, I will walk up to them and ask them face-on what the fuck kind of necessity it is for them to act tough by salivating over the ground.

People spitting out of their window when driving is what gets me. I try not to think about how much of it ends up on my car. :(

It's not something I see everyday, but more frequently than I would like. Says a lot about where I live if you haven't seen it. :lol:

People who spit are the worst. Not those who do it discreetly or when it’s really necessary, I mean the ones who seem to take pride in it. Recently, I came out of the local grocery store and there’s this guy sitting in front with his rollerblades on, wearing sunglasses, leaning back on the bench like a boss and spitting in a wide arc. “How many times a minute does one have to spit to be this cool?” I wanted to ask him.
A couple of days ago, I was trying to catch the train and was on the last stretch of road when I looked to my left and happened to make eye contact with a teenage guy some 30 metres away. The little brat broke the eye contact and spit in a wide arc while retaining his cool posture, as if to assert some dominance over me. Not in a long time have I wanted to punch someone as bad as that 15 y.o. piece of shit acting all tough. Next time that happens and I don’t have a train to catch, I will walk up to them and ask them face-on what the fuck kind of necessity it is for them to act tough by salivating over the ground.

This made me think of a small story. Many years ago, I stood at the end of a a platform in a small town waiting for a train. I remembered that I had to sign a document so I got to the next wall, and signed it there. When I looked up I saw that I was facing a bunch of teenagers, maybe 14 years old. They sat in the garden of some abandoned building drinking and smoking, thinking they were hidden. Only that they spotted me before I saw them, and obviously thought I was writing down something about them, because they looked terrified and were shouting at me to get my attention.
I simply smiled at them and walked away, the train came just a couple of minutes later. This little incident made me be at peace with all dumb teenagers who annoyed me up to that point.

Booked flight Berlin-Sofia for today several weeks ago. Figured: Crap, gate closes at 17:25, my class goes until 15:45. Way from uni to airport is around 80 minutes. It's holiday season, so security and passport check would be around 20 minutes. Figured: That's a bit close.
Told my students that I would be starting class at 14:00 straight, instead of 14:15, which is possible in German universities. Won 15 crucial minutes.
Got to airport 30 minutes before gate closes. Flight delayed for ca. 1.5 hours.
You do not want to idle at Berlin-Schönefeld airport for 1.5 hours. It's not as much a crappy airport (or the world's worst airport) as it is purgatory.

EDIT: Just as I wrote it, the flight got pushed back another three hours. That's a 4.5 hour delay for a 2 hour flight.

I went on to sue the Irish airline responsible for his delay. A whole year later, the lawsuit is finally over, and I was awarded a compensation, which was actually considerably lower than what some people on the internet said it would be. The law firm took 28% of the compensation, which made me swallow when I first saw it, but on the other hand, they dealt with the whole thing from start to finish with only an occasional email update, so it saved me from any stress. The compensation really is peanuts, but at least I'm getting something out of it.
I just took a little offense at the mail the law firm sent me, saying they need my bank account details so they can give me my share of the compensation. As if it's their money, and I'm entitled to some of it, not the other way around. At least these lawyers are honest about how they see it.

Needless to say, my opinion of lawyers hasn't risen by very much.

Approaching mid point of three weeks of networking events. It's really starting to take its toll on me and the hardest and most important part is still ahead.

It frustrates me to no end that academia celebrates the "it's who you know, not what you know" dogma more than anything else. I'm an introvert. I am an academic because I like books more than I like people. I scream internally every time I go through the whole "what is it you do? - oh, that's so interesting!" routine.

Back