Rant Thread

It frustrates me to no end that academia celebrates the "it's who you know, not what you know" dogma more than anything else. I'm an introvert. I am an academic because I like books more than I like people. I scream internally every time I go through the whole "what is it you do? - oh, that's so interesting!" routine.

Having just graduated and being a freelance worker for the time being, this is an issue I've recently started to face myself. I don't dislike talking to people, but I do dislike talking to people disingenuously, and that comes about quite a bit in networking related situations.

I'm not disinterested in learning about other people, but I don't like the high-falutin' sort of methods some use.

It's not only academia, unfortunately, that happens in a good many professional circles. I think Flash hits the nail on the head, it's not so much being genuinely social as the really fake stuff that goes along with networking.

It's not only academia, unfortunately, that happens in a good many professional circles. I think Flash hits the nail on the head, it's not so much being genuinely social as the really fake stuff that goes along with networking.
Forced jollity ...

The place I left at the end of last year was trying to make "fun, happy culture" one of their straplines but it was more like
flash34sm.jpg

flash35sm.jpg

:angry-:

My desk is too small and a bigger one can't fit into my room. I've had my laptop situated to the left diagonally on the desk because when it's situated centrally, right in front of me, I don't have space to put stuff in front of it (like a book, or a paper to copy from when typing something(

Finally I bought a monitor, and put the laptop beneath the desk, but then it would turn off while playing games, due to overheating of the laptop. I thought it was due to the HDMI cable so bought a new HDMI cable; not the problem. Tried using VGA cable instead, not the problem. Tried taking the laptop to the shop for cleaning, that also didn't solve the problem. Bought a cooling pad WHICH DIDN'T FIT BENEATH THE TABLE, but found a way to put it in another place and now I can finally play FIFA without laptop turning off after 5 minutes. BUT NOW THE FUCKING SPEAKERS ARE HISSING AND I CAN'T MAKE THEM STOP FOR FUCK'S FUCKING SAKE

It hisses only when this pair of speakers is connected directly to this laptop. It doesn't hiss when I connect headphones to the laptop, or speakers to my phone. I'm losing my fucking mind over this.

It hisses only when this pair of speakers is connected directly to this laptop. It doesn't hiss when I connect headphones to the laptop, or speakers to my phone. I'm losing my fucking mind over this.

Just curious, does the hissing only occur with those speakers when a charging cable is plugged into the laptop?

I am officially angry.

As I may have mentioned earlier, I bought a new apartment this summer. The one I bought it from had not emptied the storage room when I took over, but I got his signature that he would empty it by July 30th.

July 30th came and went, the fucker had fucked off to Thailand on vacation and answered the fucking phone once during the first half of August. Promised he'd arrange with me or the sales agent to retrieve his stuff once he got home. IT is now late September and the bloody idiot hasn't answered the phone in weeks. I contacted the insurance company where I have signed up for an insurance for this purchase, and got to talk to a lawyer. He advised me to give the seller a deadline for retrieving the shit, otherwise I would get rid of it myself. The reasonable thought would be to let the seller pay for that but I doubt that will happen as there have been multiple letters sent to this address (to the seller) coming from debt collection companies ... and dragging the fucking bastard to court for a few thousand NOK just isn't worth it.

This might take an interesting turn now as the last few days, there's been an increase in letters arriving in my mailbox, but meant for the fucking idiot. One of the letters I found today were from the district court of Malmö, Sweden. I wonder if I should contact the police if he doesn't come to pick up that letter.

To add to this frustrating situation, my parents' dog (Victor, an English Setter) was injured last week when he was attacked by a bigger dog (a Riesenschnauzer). Said dog has attacked other dogs (and people) before and should obviously not be allowed to roam free. In my opinion it should either be put down or at least placed with an owner who had the expertise to solve the behavioral issues that dog has. Instead, it lives with a completely irresponsible person (I know her, she's a relative) who thinks she knows everything about dogs. THEN WHY IS YOUR DOG ATTACKING OTHERS REPEATEDLY? And why do you think "I wasn't able to hold him back" is a valid excuse when you've used it a hundred times before??? Idiot.
Our (or my parents') dog had nasty bite/scratch marks on his hip and has been on painkillers and antibiotics for a week and has to wear a screen to keep him from licking the wound.

Why do people have to be irresponsible idiots? Fuck off, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND BEHAVE LIKE GROWN UPS!!!

I am officially angry.

As I may have mentioned earlier, I bought a new apartment this summer. The one I bought it from had not emptied the storage room when I took over, but I got his signature that he would empty it by July 30th.

July 30th came and went, the fucker had fucked off to Thailand on vacation and answered the fucking phone once during the first half of August. Promised he'd arrange with me or the sales agent to retrieve his stuff once he got home. IT is now late September and the bloody idiot hasn't answered the phone in weeks. I contacted the insurance company where I have signed up for an insurance for this purchase, and got to talk to a lawyer. He advised me to give the seller a deadline for retrieving the shit, otherwise I would get rid of it myself. The reasonable thought would be to let the seller pay for that but I doubt that will happen as there have been multiple letters sent to this address (to the seller) coming from debt collection companies ... and dragging the fucking bastard to court for a few thousand NOK just isn't worth it.

This might take an interesting turn now as the last few days, there's been an increase in letters arriving in my mailbox, but meant for the fucking idiot. One of the letters I found today were from the district court of Malmö, Sweden. I wonder if I should contact the police if he doesn't come to pick up that letter.
I'd be inclined not to wait that long, since the guy has clearly done a bunk - do you actually know the precise nature of everything he's abandoned in that storeroom?
:S
To add to this frustrating situation, my parents' dog (Victor, an English Setter) was injured last week when he was attacked by a bigger dog (a Riesenschnauzer). Said dog has attacked other dogs (and people) before and should obviously not be allowed to roam free. In my opinion it should either be put down or at least placed with an owner who had the expertise to solve the behavioral issues that dog has. Instead, it lives with a completely irresponsible person (I know her, she's a relative) who thinks she knows everything about dogs. THEN WHY IS YOUR DOG ATTACKING OTHERS REPEATEDLY? And why do you think "I wasn't able to hold him back" is a valid excuse when you've used it a hundred times before??? Idiot.
Our (or my parents') dog had nasty bite/scratch marks on his hip and has been on painkillers and antibiotics for a week and has to wear a screen to keep him from licking the wound.

Why do people have to be irresponsible idiots? Fuck off, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND BEHAVE LIKE GROWN UPS!!!
Surely there must be someone you can report this person to, anonymously? Sounds like she shouldn't be keeping animals at all, dangerous or not.

I'd be inclined not to wait that long, since the guy has clearly done a bunk - do you actually know the precise nature of everything he's abandoned in that storeroom?
:S
I don't know the nature of all of it, no - I suspect a lot of it is clothes. I have given (by text message and by letter) a deadline of October 14th. If stuff isn't gone by then, I will have it removed.

The last time I got a reply by phone it wasn't him, but a female family member who also said they'd come for the stuff "within the next week" - and that was on September 8th. Since then not a sound.

Surely there must be someone you can report this person to, anonymously? Sounds like she shouldn't be keeping animals at all, dangerous or not.
I agree she shouldn't, but I don't think she'll be having animals for much longer. The aggressive dog is 8 years, I think - and that breed typically don't get much older than 10. She has one which is older too (mother of the other one) which is in extra time. I doubt she'll be getting new dogs as she's more than 70 years old. And I think her son (my second cousin) would be able to talk her from it.

Besides, she's the type who - if she knew someone had reported her - would suspect everybody and make a lot of fuss for others around her.

I actually do hope she learns from this incident as she's going to be paying the veterinary bills.

I don't know the nature of all of it, no - I suspect a lot of it is clothes. I have given (by text message and by letter) a deadline of October 14th. If stuff isn't gone by then, I will have it removed.

The last time I got a reply by phone it wasn't him, but a female family member who also said they'd come for the stuff "within the next week" - and that was on September 8th. Since then not a sound.
What I was thinking was, is it certainly all as innocuous as clothes and junk? Are unpaid debts the only things he's running away from?

Also you may be unlucky enough to encounter a crooked bailiff who will try to take your stuff against the other guy's debts and it's really easier all round if you can head this sort of thing off at the pass ;)

Back