Random trivia

cornfedhick said:
I'll guess it was the Dutch, via Curacao or Aruba.  I seem to recall learning that the Dutch lent the U.S. money. 

The Dutch is correct. Curacao or Aruba not.

We're talking about one of the islands which make up the Netherlands Antilles; it is in the northern, Leeward Islands portion of the West Indies, southeast of the Virgin Islands.

LooseCannon said:
St. Eustatius?  I only know the geography from playing Sid Meier's Pirates!

Perfectos!

wiki:
The island was seen by Christopher Columbus in 1493 and claimed by an astonishing welter of nations over the next 150 years. In 1636, it was colonized by the chamber of Zeeland of the Dutch West India Company. As of 1678, the islands Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten and Saba fell under direct command of the Dutch West India Company. At Sint Eustatius a commander was stationed, who also governed over the islands Sint Maarten and Saba. At the time, the island was of some importance for sugar cultivation. The island was also home to one of the first Jewish settlements in the New World, dating back at least to the early 18th century. The Honen Dalim Synagogue, built in 1739, now stands in ruins, burned by Admiral Rodney in 1781. That same year, part of Jewish community was forcibly deported.

In the eighteenth century the island became known as Golden Rock, since the island's economy flourished by ignoring the trade embargoes between the great powers.

Since the island sold arms and ammunition to anyone willing to pay, the island was one of the few ways for the rebellious Thirteen colonies to obtain weaponry. This good relationship between Sint Eustatius and the United States resulted in the famous "flag incident" of 16 November 1776, when Commander Johannes de Graaff of Sint Eustatius decided to return the salute fire of the visiting American brigantine Andrew Doria.

brigantijn2.jpg

sailing-charter-cannon.jpg

The United States gave the answering salute great publicity because the salute was the first international acknowledgment of the independence of the United States.

The British did not take the incident too seriously, although they protested against the continuous trade between the United States and Sint Eustatius. In 1778, Lord Stormont claimed in Parliament that, "if Sint Eustatius had sunk into the sea three years before, the United Kingdom would already have dealt with George Washington". The trade between Sint Eustatius and the United States was the main reason for the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War, which was disastrous for Dutch trading.

As a result of the war, Sint Eustatius was taken by the British on 3 February 1781. Commander de Graaff, who at the moment was not informed about the declaration of war but seeing that he was facing superior forces, surrendered the island to the British Admiral Rodney. Ten months later the island was conquered by the French, allies of the Dutch in this war. The Dutch regained command over the island in 1784....

What is the highest-grossing film ever in the U.K.?

Hint:  I couldn't fucking believe it when I read the article.  What the hell is the matter with you Brits??  This is embarrassing. 

I heard somewhere it was Titanic, but I'm not that sure you would consider that embarrassing. Is it Titanic?

I think its Mamma Mia! My missus made me watch it at the Trafford Centre in Manchester last month, so on the way back home I made her listen to my ipod in the car as pennance.Ha Ha.

Its my turn to choose a film next, what do you reckon-Quarantine?

If it is Mama Mia, you would really need to appreciate the level of fondness that the UK has for Abba to realise why such a film would be so popular. And not only that, Julie Walters is a national icon and barely can do no wrong.

@Kopfan: I was lucky - I only got to watch it on DVD. I didn't have to waste the time of traipsing to any cinema and pay extortionate ticket prices and over inflated money for a Coke and popcorn.

There's only one way to fix this: rerelease Titanic in theatres.  We must take the evil we know over the evil we don't.

The UN should compell the Sweedish Government to formally apologize to the rest of the world for unleashing ABBBA on us. The late 70's was a part of my childhood and it is scared with my mother playing an 8 track of Dancing Queen. The Australian government apologized for the movies Young Einstein and Crocidile Dundee 2. It also has apologized for the band known  as Air Supply.

Should the Australian Government apologise for the film Abba the Movie as well?

Back