Random trivia

Forostar said:
Forest covers 42% (= 177 million hectares) of the EU27 land area (in 2005).

But which four European Union member states have the lowest proportion of their land area covered by forest and other wooded land in 2005?

A. Poland, Greece, Portugal, Croatia
B. United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta, Netherlands
C. Spain, Ireland, Greece, Croatia
D. Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom, Austria

(Bonus: name the 3 member states with the highest shares of forest and other wooded land)

I'd also go for D, especially because both the Netherlands and Belgium are small countries with high populations, so they probably don't have that much forest.  UK sounds pretty logical too.

As for the 3 highest: Finland I'm 95% sure, then probably Sweden and... Ireland?

I'll guess A.  As for the bonus question, I recall Germany had lots of wooded land.  Ireland has lots of green spaces, but I don't recall that many large forests.  I'll guess Germany, I'll borrow Invader's educated guess of Finland, and I'll guess Iceland, too, though I am not sure whether it is a member of the European Union. 

Correct LC! B:

1. Malta (1%)
2. Ireland (10%)
3. the Netherlands (11%)
4. the United Kingdom (12%).

Invader came closest to the bonus question. This is the answer:

1. Finland (77%)
2. Sweden (75%)
3. Slovenia (65%)

source

Haha, yeah, even flying over the southern half of Sweden is enough to know that we have some of the most woodland...and that's the most populated half of the country...*snigger*.

Glad to have the trivia thread back up and running.  Here's one, since the last question was answered (sorry if I'm jumping ahead of LC):

What is the most recycled material in the U.S.? 

Yeah, I would figure it to be some sort of metal.  There's a big steel reclamation place just up the road from my place and they pay pretty well. I hear, down where my mom and dad live, they are having problems with people breaking into houses that are being built and steeling the copper wiring out of the houses for the scrap price.

According to one source: twice as much of this material is recycled "as paper, glass, plastic and aluminum combined."  Roughly 80% of this material is recycled, as opposed to roughly 70% of steel. 

cornfedhick said:
Not water (gross), not wood.  Another hint:  It is not used in consumer goods, to my knowledge. 

I'm guessing he meant something like a reclamation plant... treat the sewage and release the water back.

Wasted155 said:
I'm guessing he meant something like a reclamation plant... treat the sewage and release the water back.
I'm guessing Deano meant that as well.

But from the last clue, I would say it could be something that is a by-product (or whatever) of nuclear power could be high. Perhaps Plutonium?

It is not a metal and not radioactive.  Nor is it a chemical element, so you won't find it on the periodic table.  It is a very common material -- I would think almost all of us see lots of it every day.  I make use of it every day, though I infrequently touch it.   (When I was younger, and played the [EDIT: outdoor version of the] game depicted in my avatar to the left of this entry, I touched it almost every weekend [EDIT: and it sometimes hurt].  That clue ought to give it away.) 

Back