Random trivia

Seems a question has been asked since I started typing this - but when that one is done....

OK, here is one and this one is up for debate as it seems there may not be a definitive answer - although my answer is quite feasibly correct and I don't think would be beyond the knowledge of most people on this forum.

This person has had their portrait reproduced more than any other person in history. It has been portrayed in many different ways, but there is one portrait that is argued to be the one that has been reproduced more than anyone else's and it goes into the billions - but various different portraits of this person has been, and still is, printed in abundance.

Who's portrait is it?

Clue, this person is actually still alive today and will have several hundreds of thousands prints of their portrait done today alone.

Like I say, if I could be proved wrong on this one, I'd be interested to hear it. :D

Eddies Wingman said:
I guess it is some person who's got his face on a note of some kind. I guess for the chairman of the Chinese Communist Party  :D

Yes, but this person is not Chinese.

Perun said:
Queen Elizabeth II?

That might be a good guess, since she's been in the position for more than 50 years. I think you're right on this one. Any US president is out of question since they are only allowed to be in office for eight years. So it's got to be a monarch or the leader of a totalitarian state like North Korea.

Warhurst said:
Sorry Perun. The Queen died several years ago. Problem is that she never accepted it.
  :bigsmile:

Eddies Wingman said:
That might be a good guess, since she's been in the position for more than 50 years. I think you're right on this one. Any US president is out of question since they are only allowed to be in office for eight years. So it's got to be a monarch or the leader of a totalitarian state like North Korea.

My guess is because the British Pound has been one of the world's leading currencies for all of her reign, and she is also pictured on Canadian, Australian and other currencies.

The reason why it couldn't be a president is they rarely change their monies, even when easily counterfeited by a 10 year old with a $200 Epson printer.

Plus, the Queen is a right Sheila, Bruce, and not at all stuck up!

Perun said:
Queen Elizabeth II?
That's the one. On top of been on all the coins and bank notes in the UK, she is, and has been, on every UK stamp (and some Commonwealth stamps) since she became Queen 50 odd years ago - and that is a hell of a lot of stamps. It's the image on the UK stamp that is reported to be the singularly most reproduced portrait. And I would find it hard to believe that another image will have been reproduced in such vast quantity.

And she was also on the cover sleeve of the Sex Pistols "God Save the Queen" single - which in turn sold a few copies. ;)

In which city stands the church with the highest steeple (tower)?

Hint: this city is also the birthplace of a famous scientist

Wild guess - the church is St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and the scientist is Leonardo da Vinci? (I'm not completely sure if he was born in Rome, but at least he was Italian ...)

Eddies Wingman said:
Wild guess - the church is St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and the scientist is Leonardo da Vinci? (I'm not completely sure if he was born in Rome, but at least he was Italian ...)

Leonardo da Vinci was born in Vinci, a town near Florence. Could it be that city? There's the cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore with the wonderful Giotto's bell tower.

Sorry guys, both wrong.

Seek it more north. The name of the city starts with one of the last 6 letters of the alphabet.

Looking at your smiley, you are surprised, therefore you looked it up. :/

But I forgive you for that (only this time! ;) )

I was there one month ago, it was on our way from Rome to the Netherlands. Ulm is a nice city by the way.

268px-Ulm_Donauschwabenufer1.jpg

269px-Ulm_Muenster.jpg

Forest covers 42% (= 177 million hectares) of the EU27 land area (in 2005).

But which four European Union member states have the lowest proportion of their land area covered by forest and other wooded land in 2005?

A. Poland, Greece, Portugal, Croatia
B. United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta, Netherlands
C. Spain, Ireland, Greece, Croatia
D. Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom, Austria

(Bonus: name the 3 member states with the highest shares of forest and other wooded land)

Back