Random trivia

They said it on the highlights on TV after Villa's hat trick -- one was a player from the Netherlands and one was a player from Portugal, and they did it in the same year.  I'll never remember the name of the Portugese player -- I think Acrobat has the right name for the Dutchman -- as I am a newcomer to soccer(football) and had never heard of any of them. 

national acrobat said:
Patrick Kluivert is one, in 2000. Can't think of another (unless you mean the one yesterday).

Yes and yes.  I suppose we're still looking for his name.

Deano said:
It's true, unless of course, you are counting mule carts.

That would have been my guess without any intended slur.

cornfedhick said:
They said it on the highlights on TV after Villa's hat trick -- one was a player from the Netherlands and one was a player from Portugal, and they did it in the same year.  I'll never remember the name of the Portugese player -- I think Acrobat has the right name for the Dutchman -- as I am a newcomer to soccer(football) and had never heard of any of them. 

David Villa is right.  He's Spanish.  The Portugese player was Sergio Concecao and he was an unexpected sub.  I cannot recall why he replaced the original player, but man I recall that his three goals were all awesome.

Next question, please.

What was the longest-running continuous business company in human history?  (No, not the oldest profession, that's something else.)  Hint: the company eventually liquidated in 2006. 

Good guess, but no.  The Hudson's Bay Company began in the 17th century.  The company I'm thinking of began over a thousand years before that. 

No.  Mitsubishi is only a few years older than General Electric.  Both originated in the 1870s.  Again, this company is well over a thousand years old.    Another hint: its origins -- and core business -- relate to religion. 

I've figured it out, but with research.  Should I post it or hang on?  It seems nobody is trying to answer it, so I cheated.  Frankly, it was easy to figure out with minimal fuss.

Kongō Gumi Co., Ltd. (株式会社金剛組, Kabushiki Gaisha Kongō Gumi?) was a Japanese construction company and the world's oldest continuously ongoing company, operating for over 1,400 years. Headquartered in Osaka, the family-owned construction company traced its origins to 578 when Prince Shotoku brought Kongō family members from Baekje to Japan to build the Buddhist Shitennō-ji, a temple that still stands. Over the centuries, Kongō Gumi participated in the construction of many famous buildings, including the 16th century Osaka Castle and Hōryū-ji in Nara.

-- from Wiki
The company was sold to a non-family member in December 2006.

Back