Powerslave

How good is Powerslave on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Still a 10. And still the best one from Powerslave. That instrumental part, the solos, the harmony... Nearly fifteen years after I've heard the song for the first time I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Excellent lyrics, too!

You might have heard this before, but 10/10. This is my second favorite Iron Maiden song of them all, and in my top 5 personally. From the demonic introduction to the last hit of the drum, every single thing on this song is a powerful statement.

Much like Aces High and the song that comes after, the band is on fire here. They knew this one was special.

Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave...

The instrumental is great. Each band member gets a moment to shine. It's a distinctive, lasting, memorable track. A metal classic.

9, and easily the best song on the album.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

1984 - Powerslave

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave

10/10

The title track is a spellbinding achievement. Bruce Dickinson wrote this Egyptian-themed song completely by himself and it was so strong that it influenced the theme of the exceptional album art and the following two-year world tour. It’s a mid-tempo rocker with riffs that drip with Eastern tonalities and bone crushing (or mummifying) power. Bruce’s vocals are magnificent. Powerslave features some of my favorite guitar solos of all time, particularly Dave Murray’s bluesy lead-in to the bridge. There’s nothing more that can be said of this song, because writing about it makes me want to listen to it again.

Powerslave, like the album is awesome! I have a lot of great memories just this song alone. From hearing the studio version for the first time on Christmas Day, 1996 to hearing it live in 2008 during the Somewhere Back In Time Tour, to hearing it at the Pyramids in Egypt in 2010 to hearing it at Gong Chen Bridge (one of the oldest stone bridges in Hangzhou) last Christmas. I had already been into history and listening to Iron Maiden got me even more interested in history when I was a teenager. Although the title track did not directly reflect history, it inspired me to study history and travel.

Sounds pretty good. Powerslave has a lot of potential for extreme metal arrangements. That falsetto in the chorus is ridiculous, though. :p

I'm gonna repeat myself here, but the fact you can do such things with a Maiden song (and keep the core preserved across different versions) proves how well their music is written...

The only part that I liked is the one between verse and chorus. Solo is ok.
The rest is ridiculous

Powerslave from Boston 1999, when Adrian was absent. Which means: extremely rare version of this song with Dave and Janick.
Jan's solo isn't that bad and I like the sound of the harmony that follows it.
I absolutely love the sound of this bootleg: not crystal clear, natural reverb, sort of like being there, random crowd sounds; just something about this type of recording...

Janick's solo is fucking awesome, as Runner says; pure improvisation! :rocker:

That's sure amazing! The whole instrumental section is very chic, indeed. The harmony sounds somewhat different, but I like it in this context. I also don't mind that Bruce is a bit drowned by the sound - he is usually very dominating and I find it refreshing to focus on the rest of the band for a change.

Best song on the album and maybe the crown jewel of 80s Maiden. Hearing it live this year was such a great surprise, especially considering I never got to see the SBIT tour. Now all I still need to hear live is Rime, which I'm sure they'll bust out one more time.

This song is really perfect. It has great vocals, an awesome chorus, memorable riffing, and one of the most beautiful solo sections Metal has to offer.

Best song on the album and maybe the crown jewel of 80s Maiden. Hearing it live this year was such a great surprise, especially considering I never got to see the SBIT tour. Now all I still need to hear live is Rime, which I'm sure they'll bust out one more time.

This song is really perfect. It has great vocals, an awesome chorus, memorable riffing, and one of the most beautiful solo sections Metal has to offer.

This exactly, except I like Rime a bit more. Looking back at the SBIT setlist, I really wish I could have seen that show, so I was ecstatic that they brought back Powerslave. I want to hear Rime so bad!! I think it's a strong candidate for the final tour. :p

Gorgeous. Love the heaviness of the verses and the chorus is so cool.

Then the superb bluesy midsection is so perfectly placed amongst the heaviness. Great solo and really well thought out closing section. You can tell they put some thought into this unlike some of the filler tracks.

10/10, this is my favorite non Harris penned Iron Maiden songs and in my Top 5 favorite Maiden songs of all time, I love how the song immediately grabs you on the first note.

Back