Powerslave

How good is Powerslave on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is just one of those songs that screams METAL! Great song, like the chugging riffs here, the chorus, everything, even the solo, which while I'm not gonna say it's straight-out their best, it's a damn good one nonetheless. 10/10

This is just one of those songs that screams METAL! Great song, like the chugging riffs here, the chorus, everything, even the solo, which while I'm not gonna say it's straight-out their best, it's a damn good one nonetheless. 10/10

Couldn't agree more. 10/10

Everything about this song is perfect. The feel, the solos, the bassline, the drumming, the vocals... It's hard to believe that this song almost died, when Nicko tried to destroy the "Mission from 'Arry" tape.

Masterpiece.
10/10

Oh, my. Here we go. This is what I consider Bruce's masterpiece, if you ask me. Brilliant interpolation of Egyptian music into the overall tone of the song, which fit very well with the masterful lyrics. The creepy, ominous intro also sets the mood for what's coming really well. Definitely a 10!

About the Flight 666 version:

The instrumental section in the middle is vital. Heavy sound throught the song that classifies them perfectly. 10/10, best song on the album (Powerslave), VIP epic.

My absolute favourite. When I first started listening to Maiden, this was possibly the song that really got me hooked. The main riff is kinda hypnotic, and it sounds much faster than it actually is, which is definitely a good thing. Lyrics and solos, along with pretty much everything else, are absolutely top level. Very hard to find something wrong with this song. It’s quite strange that they played it live much less than other songs, obviously it might not be in redibly easy to pull off, but it’s not impossible either, and I’m pretty sure everybody loves it. Anyway, 10/10, possibly even more

10/10, naturally. One of my absolute favourite Iron Maiden songs (it places in the top ten for me) and I'm certainly not alone on this viewpoint. This here seems to be one of those everyone thinks is one of the best. Of course, it's perfectly understandable, considering the sheer quality on display here. The lyrics, the instrumentation and just the fun of it is what makes it such an timeless classic.

I do have to wonder, when did this become the usually-considered best song on the album? For years and years, Rime was considered the absolute best, the cream of the crop and easily the best on the album. I don't know what exactly happened, but in the last amount of years, this song must have built up some simply impeccable amounts of hype. As seen by the fact that it placed #2 in the last two Iron Maiden survivors, just behind the omnipresent #1 Hallowed Be Thy Name both times. Something must have happened here and I think personally that it's a matter of general song quality vs epic feel that has been becoming more and more prevalent in recent years. Rime is this massive behemoth of a song, as grandiose as Maiden ever got. Powerslave is this decidedly shorter but sharper song which is so sleek and flows so well. People may like Rime more but it's much easier listening to Powerslave than Rime because of the length. Powerslave doesn't bank you over the head about how grandiose it is, it just is. Therefore, it's a song you really love but love even more once you realize the nuanced nature of it. See, Rime pretty much stays in one kind of mood for the first five minutes while Powerslave has already had plenty more dynamics and gone through its entire magnificent instrumental section before Rime even gets to Act 2, which is also usually considered the weaker bit of the song. Meanwhile Powerslave smashes back to the verses and ends on such an amazing note with Bruce's amazing yell of "Slaave...to the power of DEAAAAAAAAAYYAAAAAATH!". Once Rime stopped being put on a pedestal just for its posture and grandiose feel, I feel people looked back at the song preceding Rime and realized that it was, at the end, a better song. Rime doesn't even go all the way with its repeating of the first five minutes, it just kinda ends because the story of the song ended and they just had to stop it there. It's sort of a abrupt stop, while Powerslave's ending is nigh perfection.

Or something like that.

10/10, naturally. One of my absolute favourite Iron Maiden songs (it places in the top ten for me) and I'm certainly not alone on this viewpoint. This here seems to be one of those everyone thinks is one of the best. Of course, it's perfectly understandable, considering the sheer quality on display here. The lyrics, the instrumentation and just the fun of it is what makes it such an timeless classic.

I do have to wonder, when did this become the usually-considered best song on the album? For years and years, Rime was considered the absolute best, the cream of the crop and easily the best on the album. I don't know what exactly happened, but in the last amount of years, this song must have built up some simply impeccable amounts of hype. As seen by the fact that it placed #2 in the last two Iron Maiden survivors, just behind the omnipresent #1 Hallowed Be Thy Name both times. Something must have happened here and I think personally that it's a matter of general song quality vs epic feel that has been becoming more and more prevalent in recent years. Rime is this massive behemoth of a song, as grandiose as Maiden ever got. Powerslave is this decidedly shorter but sharper song which is so sleek and flows so well. People may like Rime more but it's much easier listening to Powerslave than Rime because of the length. Powerslave doesn't bank you over the head about how grandiose it is, it just is. Therefore, it's a song you really love but love even more once you realize the nuanced nature of it. See, Rime pretty much stays in one kind of mood for the first five minutes while Powerslave has already had plenty more dynamics and gone through its entire magnificent instrumental section before Rime even gets to Act 2, which is also usually considered the weaker bit of the song. Meanwhile Powerslave smashes back to the verses and ends on such an amazing note with Bruce's amazing yell of "Slaave...to the power of DEAAAAAAAAAYYAAAAAATH!". Once Rime stopped being put on a pedestal just for its posture and grandiose feel, I feel people looked back at the song preceding Rime and realized that it was, at the end, a better song. Rime doesn't even go all the way with its repeating of the first five minutes, it just kinda ends because the story of the song ended and they just had to stop it there. It's sort of a abrupt stop, while Powerslave's ending is nigh perfection.

Or something like that.
I love both, but I disagree a little here. I don't think that Rime hits you over the head with the fact that it's epic, because honestly it doesn't feel like it's an epic as much as it is an extended song. When I listen to Rime, the only thing I get hit over the head with is the fact that I love it to death. :D

Opening with some wind and a thump, thump, thump, thump.... AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHYEEAAHAAHAHEEEHEEHEH

...."Powerslave" begins.

This is possibly Maiden's most "in your face" metal song. Not exactly the hardest song to sing but somehow it's still really hard to nail. Bruce nails it.

The instrumental section is fucking amazing.

10/10. Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave.

A heartbeat and demonic scream break into a cool eastern riff that drives a strong verse. Another blatantly eastern guitar break leads into a great chorus with some interesting harmonized backing vocals.

Another round of verse through chorus and we slip into a slower interlude with nice clean arpeggios and a stunning bluesy solo that kicks into a heavy, uptempo rhythm and some great guitar pyrotechnics. This leads into a nice harmonized section before breaking into another face-melting solo!

A brief percussive break leads back into another round of verse through chorus and a final chorus variation before wrapping up on a big eastern rock ending.

There's a ton of excellent material here, but the verse and chorus don't quite knock it out of the park. Let's say a very robust 9/10.

Timeless classic! The intro fits the song just great. The riff, the verses, the twin-lead guitar harmonies and the chorus are amazing! Great lyrics too. The Egyptian melodies/riffs are superb. The middle calm part is one of Maiden's best - both solos are pure greatness. The part with the drumming after the solos is epic. The outro is majestic. Bruce shines in this song. 10/10

Last edited:
A chilling open with a quick drumbeat bursts into a ripping riff that leads to some great lyrics from Bruce before hitting a great chorus as well. A really, really awesome song about how power doesn't make you infallible, "Powerslave" is a great showcase of how great the Maiden frontman is at penning songs. And the instrumental section - holy shit! It's beautiful. A perfect song with stellar performances from all involved. 10

I was recommended this track by friends and I just started to listen to it recently as I discover all of IMs catalog.. ...I liked it off the bat especially for the melodic part midway through with all the solos....but what really has got me now after repeated listens is the riff/beat that repeats starting around 110....so sick! Has vaulted into my top 5 maiden songs now.

Back