Powerslave

How good is Powerslave on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have no idea anymore. Actually, I never did. I'm just keep tracking of who posts reviews and I figure I'll come up with something around DOD.

Re: Daily Song: Powerslave

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Not sure exactly but I think it's the green head with yellow underbelly as it's jumping out of the water...
Not sure I understand, but OK. :D

I voted a 10. Angry, serene and then frantic, and then angry again before the final scream of desperation. It just encapsulates what the album is all about with some utterly sublime and beautiful guitar work, evoking ancient Egypt from the very first chord to the last.

Again, what kind of explanations this one need? Jeff put it nicely and with a few solid words:

Jeffmetal said:
10. Open the gates of my hell - I will strike from the grave. That basically sums up what this song is all about. All hell breaks loose, but that instrumental part is one divination in musical form. Immortal classic! If you're a Headbanger and don't like it, go knitting like an old woman and fuck off, too!!! :edmetal:

10/10

7 out of 10... I don't knit, but I've never thought Powerslave was among Maiden's masterpieces. As much as I've always liked certain parts of the song, I always found it to be veering a little too close to "This Is Spinal Tap". The lyrics and the vocal are my least favorite parts of the tune...

taker64 said:
7 out of 10... I don't knit, but I've never thought Powerslave was among Maiden's masterpieces. As much as I've always liked certain parts of the song, I always found it to be veering a little too close to "This Is Spinal Tap". The lyrics and the vocal are my least favorite parts of the tune...

A little too close to Spinal Tap moment?!   :blink:

EDIT: For reference I know what "this is Spinal Tap" means; I just don't see the connection to this song.

My Spinal Tap reference was the Stonehenge concept. I envisioned the band brainstorming the Powerslave direction in the same manner. Let me shed a little light on how I come to utter what some will surely think blasphemous. Understand that 1984 was not a banner year for seasoned headbangers such as myself. California bands such as Quiet Riot and Motley Crue had begun to change the whole heavy metal gestalt. For those of us that had been weaned on Di'anno era Maiden, early Priest, and Dio era Sabbath, these new (so called) metal bands were somewhat laughable, obviously more concerned with hairspray and cosmetics than the actual content of their albums. The Iron Maiden that had been rocking my world since 1981 was the band that I knew fom album photos and the two live shows that I had seen (TNOTB and POM)... raw, aggressive, a little dangerous. We patterned our personal look on their look...Leather, denim, t-shirts and long hair. When the Powerslave album came out, Steve and Dave had permed hair, and Adrian had a mullet. Bad sign. The MTV generation was morphing my favorite band into something different. I never thought any less of the band's musical abilities, but the seemingly new concern with image and looks was disconcerting. Style over substance is something Iron Maiden could never be accused of, but for those of us that had been a part of the fairly exclusive metal subculture of the early 80's, watching metal become more mainstream resulted in a lessening of it's impact.
So my Spinal Tap jibe is based on what I felt to be a song concept that ended up being lacking (for me). Egyptology... Stonehenge... contrived... 

Powerslave cover / lyrics -> Egyptology -> Stonehenge -> Spinal Tap. Strange connection isn't it?

taker64 said:
We patterned our personal look on their look...Leather, denim, t-shirts and long hair. When the Powerslave album came out, Steve and Dave had permed hair, and Adrian had a mullet.

Maybe you and your buddies have been talking too much about Adrian's mullet, and have been busy too much with your own looks, and therefore forgot to check the music instead? By the way, Adrian didn't start his mullet before 1985 or even 1986. Perhaps you're talking about the wrong album?

Look, I understand you find looks important but your whole story has nothing to do with the music.  

I agree that Piece of Mind has a rougher and fatter guitar sound, and the first two Maiden albums certainly sound more aggressive as well, but I doubt if these are the only criteria for mainstream. I'll explain why I think that the Powerslave album is less mainstream than its predecessor.

Piece of Mind is probably the Maiden album with the least tempo changes. The only tempo changing moments in Piece of Mind can be found in Revelations, Still Life (just one after the intro) and To Tame A Land. It features the (relatively seen) radio friendly Flight of Icarus. Bruce even wanted to have this slow tempo, to increase the chance of airplay!

On the other hand, Powerslave ends with Maiden longest track, in which a lot is happening. Not to speak about the title track itself. This far from mainstream music. Powerslave is also more challenging because there's more variation and details in the guitar work. E.g. in “Rime…” and in “The Duellists” Adrian plays open long chords where Dave plays fast rhythm guitar (power chords).

Powerslave is one of Maiden's most complex albums. There was a lot of focus on the content of this album.
A few haircuts (no H mullet!) and a pyramid don't change that.

I never called the band's musical excellence into question. The point I was trying to make (unsuccesfully, it seems) was that while the album turned the band into a global phenomenon, it was partially due to the fact that metal was becoming no longer the exclusive domain of a hardcore few. Ten year old boys were wearing Iron Maiden t-shirts that their mommy had bought at the department store. Pubescent girls papered their bedroom walls with posters of metal bands... if this isn't mainstream, I don't know what is. This Is Spinal Tap was a blistering satire aimed at this era and hit the mark with painful accuracy. Iron Maiden was one of the few bands that survived this era with their integrity intact, but you can't tell me that the paradigm shift didn't change things up for some of us that had been "original headbangers". As I mentioned, I've grown to appreciate songs on the album (including Powerslave) that I initially disliked, but the more polished look of the time (haircuts and pyramids included) DID affect perception.

taker64 said:
As I mentioned, I've grown to appreciate songs on the album (including Powerslave) that I initially disliked, but the more polished look of the time (haircuts and pyramids included) DID affect perception.

I see.  It was more of a psychological association. 

Re: Daily Song: Powerslave

Genghis Khan said:
Not sure I understand, but OK. :D

I also see the green crocodile.  Powerslave is one of the heaviest Maiden songs ever, and I just love that crushing riff!

Powerslave! The guitars and Egyptian feel make for one kick ass title track. and the instrumental section is amazing. 10/10

Best use of Egyptian mythology in music. It's especially mindblowing to see it live with all the fire and pyrotechnics. 10/10.

Back