Powerslave: individual album judgement by yours truly

SirRobbins

Ancient Mariner
My issue with this album is the same as many of their newer albums. The studio versions sound too processed and the live versions blow the studio ones out of the water. Exceptions are Powerslave and Rime and maybe Back in the Village.

Otherwise ……

Aces High - 9
2 Minutes to Midnight - 8
Losfer Words - 8
Flash of the Blade - 8
The Duelists - 8
Back in the Village - 9
Powerslave - 10
Rime of the Anceint Mariner - 10

one of my highest held albums and probably the greatest pure metal album from them.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Powerslave - unsurpassed classic, from the songs to the album cover !

Aces High - 10/10
2 Minutes To Midnight - 10/10
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 5/10
Flash Of The Blade - 7/10
The Duellists - 8/10
Back In The Village - 7/10
Powerslave - 10/10
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - 10/10
------------------------------------------------
Average album score: 8,37

Aces High - 10
2 Minutes To Midnight - 8
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 8
Flash Of The Blade - 8
The Duellists - 7
Back In The Village - 9
Powerslave - 7
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - 10

Diesel 11

Und die Welt zählt laut bis zehn...
Aces High - 10 >
2 Minutes To Midnight - 10 >
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 9 >
Flash of the Blade - 9 >
The Duellists - 10 >
Back in the Village - 10 >
Powerslave - 10 >
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 10 >

Average Score: 9.75/10
Actual Score: 10/10

Powerslave is a perfect album and the pinnacle of Maiden's career. They would hit this same peak again later, but with a different lineup and completely different sound. As far as classic heavy metal goes, this album slays all competition. It's just that good.

Diesel 11

"Losfer Words" and "Flash of the Blade" lose out here because while they have no real weaknesses, they just aren't as good as several other songs by the band. It's still perfect as a whole.

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Aces High 10
2MTM 9
Losfer words 6
Flash of the Blade 8
The Duelists 8
Back in the Village 7
Powerslave 9
ROTAM 8

My #10 Maiden album, Average rating 8,125. An extremely overrated album with an extremely overrated epic and lackluster instrumental song.

Edit: Overall album rating 84%

Last edited:

karljant

Ancient Mariner
  1. Aces High - 10/10
  2. 2 Minutes To Midnight - 8.75/10
  3. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 8.25/10
  4. Flash Of The Blade - 8/10
  5. The Duellists - 8.25/10
  6. Back In The Village - 8.75/10
  7. Powerslave - 10/10
  8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - 10/10
Average: 9/10

Last edited:

The_7th_one

Ancient Mariner
1. Aces High 10
2. 2 Minutes to midnight 9,5
3. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) 10
4. Flash of the blade 9,5
5. The Duellist 10
6. Back in the village 9,5
7. Powerslave 10
8. Rime of the ancient mariner 10

F***ING BRILLIANT

Last edited:

Diesel 11

POWERSLAVE (1984)

1. Aces High - 10/10
A metallic build up of riffage leads into the most action-packed historical number ever written. This is the band’s best album opener and Bruce’s best performance as a fucking. Fucking amazing.

2. 2 Minutes To Midnight - 10/10
Backed by one of the most iconic riffs in metal history, this one keeps up the momentum with some very raw war lyrics.

3. Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra) - 10/10
The band’s best instrumental. While Steve and Nicko hold down the fort in the rhythm section, Dave and H duke it out in the guitar field.

4. Flash Of The Blade - 10/10
A blazing riff shreds all opposition in Bruce’s ode to fencing.

5. The Duellists - 10/10
And a sword-fighting song from Steve, another track in which the guitars become the spotlight.

6. Back In The Village - 10/10
Another ripping riff, this Prisoner sequel is better than the original in every way and powers up the energy already present on the album.

7. Powerslave - 10/10
A credit to Bruce’s imagination, this song about a dying Pharoah is a monster and features possibly the band’s best solo section.

8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - The greatest metal song of all time. You heard me. This was a culmination of everything that Hallowed, Phantom, and TTAL had attempted, and no other ‘80s band had anything like it. It’s still an incredible piece of storytelling all these years later.

Perfect album.

Rating: 100%

karljant

Ancient Mariner
POWERSLAVE (1984)

1. Aces High - 10/10
A metallic build up of riffage leads into the most action-packed historical number ever written. This is the band’s best album opener and Bruce’s best performance as a fucking. Fucking amazing.

2. 2 Minutes To Midnight - 10/10
Backed by one of the most iconic riffs in metal history, this one keeps up the momentum with some very raw war lyrics.

3. Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra) - 10/10
The band’s best instrumental. While Steve and Nicko hold down the fort in the rhythm section, Dave and H duke it out in the guitar field.

4. Flash Of The Blade - 10/10
A blazing riff shreds all opposition in Bruce’s ode to fencing.

5. The Duellists - 10/10
And a sword-fighting song from Steve, another track in which the guitars become the spotlight.

Another ripping riff, this Prisoner sequel is better than the original in every way and powers up the energy already present on the album.

7. Powerslave - 10/10
A credit to Bruce’s imagination, this song about a dying Pharoah is a monster and features possibly the band’s best solo section.

8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - The greatest metal song of all time. You heard me. This was a culmination of everything that Hallowed, Phantom, and TTAL had attempted, and no other ‘80s band had anything like it. It’s still an incredible piece of storytelling all these years later.

Perfect album.

Rating: 100%
Aren't you being a bit unfair with Powerslave? :D :D :D :D

P.S. : on a more serious note I don't think it's a perfect album... But it's damn near perfect!

karljant

Ancient Mariner
1. Aces High - 10/10
A metallic build up of riffage leads into the most action-packed historical number ever written. This is the band’s best album opener
Another ripping riff, this Prisoner sequel is better than the original
8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - (...) This was a culmination of everything that Hallowed, Phantom, and TTAL had attempted,
100% agreed.