Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

How good is Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Nicko yells and hits the cymbal a few times before the band kicks in with a strong uptempo groove that serves as the verse. This breaks into a soaring chorus-like section with a nice harmonized lead.

An extended uptempo interlude follows, leading into a pretty good solo that breaks into a great descending guitar lead that will be repurposed by the band in several different songs for many years to come. This cuts into a great soaring solo on top of busy percussion before returning to the verse groove. Another round of "verse" and "chorus" and a quick swaying outro lead wraps things up.

This is a strong but not mindblowing instrumental that sounds like it was constructed to have lyrics, but just never got any. There are a couple of great parts, but most of it is just good. 7/10.

The main reason why Powerslave is not one of my favorite Maiden albums. Clive was better than Nicko in one thing, which was playing instrumental songs for Maiden. 6

Last edited:
With every instrumental, Maiden only got better and better, culminating in this blazing track, which feels like a look into the world of Powerslave and all that's in it. Bruce isn't even necessary here, and where that should feel out of place, it isn't. "Losfer Words" is a strong as fuck number with everyone present on the track giving a great performance. 9

Fun instrumental with good riff, tempo and bass playing. Various great melodies. 5/10

I just can't understand how a Maiden fan wouldn't absolutely love this track. Every riff and melody is amazing... the transitions, scales, patterns, the solo... it's one of their most beautiful tracks.
I wish they had reinstated it on the reissues of Live After Death, between "Rime..." and "Powerslave" - they sure have the footage somewhere. Although we have it as a B-side, the concert on CD or video feels "too short" because of it.

I wish they had reinstated it on the reissues of Live After Death, between "Rime..." and "Powerslave" - they sure have the footage somewhere. Although we have it as a B-side, the concert on CD or video feels "too short" because of it.
True – the Live After Death version is miles better than the studio version.

Of all instrumental tracks of Maiden, I think this one would have been better with lyrics. I like it as it is though.

Barely a room to breathe before Nicko counts us into Maiden’s last instrumental, and then away we go! This one is like a journey across desert sands, winding our way through the pyramids, almost like diving right into that album cover. I just love it. Every second here consists of great guitar, great drumming, great bass work. Spectacular, the band’s best instrumental song to date. 10/10

Unfortunately the last of the instrumental tracks. I'm not the biggest fan of Powerslave as an album. It's not bad, but it has some low lows.
Even then though, the saving grace, and what really elevates the album in my opinion, is the amazing guitar work. Even the weaker tracks are filled with creative riffs and melodies. Losfer Words is one of the stronger tracks for me and really plays to the strenghts of the album. Interesting rhythms, riffs and melodies coupled with the best production for a Maiden album up to that point. The only thing I don't enjoy are the final seconds. That outro lick simply sounds weird to me. An 8.

Back