1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Duellists

Discussion in 'Powerslave' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is The Duellists on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

18.4%
  2. 9

26.3%
  3. 8

18.4%
  4. 7

18.4%
  5. 6

13.2%
  6. 5

5.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

9, and a strong 9 at that. Like this entire album, the performance sounds effortlessly precise. Steve Harris lays down one of his best lines.

2. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

The instrumental part lifts it from eight to nine. Adrian and Dave on top of their game as a duo.

3. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Steve is incredibly strong on this track, and so is Nicko, pounding out some killer fills and keeping a strident, strong beat.

Bruce is not so great here, the speed of the lyrics seem to challenge him. This song should have been done live when Blaze was in the band.

8/10

4. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

5. A painfully average song.

Ranking:

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
    6 - Sanctuary
    7 - Remember Tomorrow
    6 - Running Free
    9 - Phantom Of The Opera
    7 - Transylvania
    4 - Strange World
    6 - Charlotte The Harlot
    7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
    6 - Wrathchild
    6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
    5 - Another Life
    5 - Genghis Khan
    5 - Innocent Exile
    8 - Killers
    5 - Prodigal Son
    8 - Purgatory
    6 - Twilight Zone
    5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
    7 - Children Of The Damned
    8 - The Prisoner
    7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
    9 - The Number Of The Beast
    10 - Run To The Hills
    6 - Gangland
    5 - Total Eclipse
    10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
    9 - Revelations
    9 - Flight Of Icarus
    7 - Die With Your Boots On
    8 - The Trooper
    7 - Still Life
    6 - Quest For Fire
    6 - Sun And Steel
    7 - To Tame A Land

1984 - Powerslave

8 - Aces High
    7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
    3 - Loss Fer Words
    7 - Flash Of The Blade
    5 - The Duellists

5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

9/10

Possibly the best example of Maiden’s twin guitar attack. It’s an exercise in pure energy from the opening riff to the closing note. Bruce’s vocals feel rushed throughout and the chorus is a bit screechy, but the guitars make it all worthwhile. Murray and H harmonize throughout a bridge that evokes the image of two swordsmen trading equal blows before Dave blazes through an extended, furious guitar solo. The harmony in between feels like another parry, before Adrian lands a brutal blow with a calculated and precise solo. Their final harmony must imply that neither man has won and a truce has been called: because this is Maiden after all, and neither man is expendable. I know I’m getting far too ridiculous with the imagery, but the song simply is that evocative: a brilliant synergy of sound and theme.

6. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Good song. Another one that really captures the loose vibe of this album. Steve has a reputation for writing more introspective and dark songs. You would never know by listening to something like this. It's hard to be in a bad mood while listening to this song.

Love the interaction between the guitars and bass on this, both during the instrumental section and the parts with vocals. Some really great harmonies throughout and some awesome soloing. Just when you think the instrumental section is over, Steve throws another great twin harmony at you. This band knows how to have fun, but they're also competent players and writers. The end of the instrumental section is stunning.

The only real flaw here is that the vocal parts leave a bit left to be desired. It's part of the reason why I am ok with Losfer Words being an instrumental. There are several songs in the 80s that feel like the vocals were an afterthought, this was one of them. Fun chorus though.

7. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Not sure why majority prefer Flash of the Blade to this. I think the melodies, vocals, guitarwork on this are slightly better and the instrumental is superb. Still not a favourite though

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. I give this song an 8/10, the instrumental section in the middle drags on a little longer than my preference but I do love the verses and the chorus.

9. Sth2112

Sth2112 Nomad

Also a good album track like Flash of the blade, powerful verses and great instrumental parts.

9/10

10. ghkghk

ghkghk Trooper

A great song. One of their most underrated songs with The Loneliness and Starblind among a few others.

11. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

I like the music quite a lot (especially the instrumental part) but the vocal melodies represent Harris at his most uninspired, in my opinion. (6/10)

12. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Slightly better track than Flash Of The Blade. Nice chorus. Great guitar work. Good track.

7/10

13. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

This is one of those songs that, for me, is so underrated it's overrated. Every list of underrated Maiden songs includes it, and I have to ask, why? There's so many other songs to choose instead - any of the other three so-called 'filler tracks' (if those are filler, then I'd love to see what people define as not filler!) could be used instead. But don't get me wrong, it's a good song and doesn't bring the album down at all. Still, take Losfer Words and Where Eagles Dare and mashing them together makes for a song which feels more filler-ish than the rest of the 'fillers', and I disagree with statements that say it's the band's best example of duel guitar. Still, it gets a 7/10, and a strong one at that, because despite all reservations I may have about it, The Duellists remains a good song.