Post your own lyrics

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

I get what you're saying completely. I've often looked into learning more about actually writing music but haven't had any real opportunities for it yet, but I have been looking for something to make learning it easier. I do write a lot of stories and poetry, though, but some concepts just don't seem to lend themselves well for me. I have managed to scrape a band together though - we all had similar tastes and each had something to bring to the table so we decided to see if we could actually write some stuff together. We have been working on ideas and we've been doing decently thus far but have no actual recordings yet. Welcome to Your Home was just something I felt like writing by myself at the time, mainly to practice lyricism and get some stuff out of my system and possibly have something for the future.

But yeah, I get what you're saying and @Perun I've read far harsher things that were less beneficial. So thanks for the suggestions, it means a lot, really.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I broadly agree with what Per is saying but I do want to add that writing lyrics first in itself isn’t a bad thing. But I think it makes sense to discuss the initial idea with the musicians involved first. Of course you can’t drop a whole album on them and expect them to write music to it.

I also second LC’s suggestion to learn music. The passion for music is already there, learning the mechanics behind it and being able to create music of your own would be a huge benefit.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  3. Diesel 11

Yeah, that's the last thing I'd wanna do. I did send it but just to get some feedback on the lyrics themselves.

Makes sense, I'll see if I can figure it out.

4. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

This, to me, is only true if you already have a sense for putting music and lyrics together.

Also in many cases that strategy results in the lyrics being too wordy for the music.

5. Diesel 11

Which is why I always try to sing through the lyrics I come up with, which helps the editing process (and helps me practice my voice).