Out of the Silent Planet

How good is Out of the Silent Planet on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Out of the Silent Planet

Jeffmetal said:
10. Perfect single! Shame it wasn't played on more than those 2 or 3 gigs, in 2001.

4 times in total:
2001: once in Mexico, once in Argentina
2002: 2 times in London, Shepherd’s Bush Empire

Albie said:
That is what makes Bruce stand out from most singers - he's not just expressive in this track, but in almost every song he sings.

Indeed but imo in this song his contribution stands miles above the other aspects, maybe that's why I'd like to single it out.

I'm puzzled they didn't play this song that much. I think the chorus gets repeated a bit too much, otherwise I'd give it a 9.

Why isn't this on From Fear to Eternity?

Takes a bit of time to get to the point. Has some great flashes. The aforementioned "I accuse you" is where the song takes off, too bad it took 2:40 to get there. This probably would have been a great 4 minute rocker. Seeing as it's in the bottom half of my favorite songs, from an album that's in my bottom half, I have to give it a 5. Still a pretty decent song, as it's Maiden, but average at best when ranking it alongside the rest of this band's output.

NightProwler666 said:
My favorite song from Brave New World. Fantastic vocals and a mindblowing performance by Nicko. That has to be his best bass pedal performance ever. Absolutely fantastic. 10/10!

Nope, CSiT...by a longshot.

Zare said:
Nope, CSiT...by a longshot.

There are more of such moments. Fortunes of War, Dream of Mirrors.

In my opinion Nicko's best bass pedal performance is The Evil that Men Do from A Real Live One.
That's hard to "beat". :)

Habberdasher said:
Why isn't this on From Fear to Eternity?

Takes a bit of time to get to the point. Has some great flashes. The aforementioned "I accuse you" is where the song takes off, too bad it took 2:40 to get there. This probably would have been a great 4 minute rocker. Seeing as it's in the bottom half of my favorite songs, from an album that's in my bottom half, I have to give it a 5. Still a pretty decent song, as it's Maiden, but average at best when ranking it alongside the rest of this band's output.
I love the intro, the way Bruce sounds when he comes in for the first time is breathtaking.

Forostar said:
There are more of such moments. Fortunes of War, Dream of Mirrors.

In my opinion Nicko's best bass pedal performance is The Evil that Men Do from A Real Live One.
That's hard to "beat". :)

Yup, i haven't heard that in a long time. I don't particularly like '90s live albums (due to production, poor Bruce, too uncontrolled Janick), but that moment i recall as brilliant.

Really good song (and a cool Eddie on the single).   I wish they played this much more than they did.  I like the intro, but almost prefer the single version which just cuts to the chase which seems to fit the song a bit better.

Give it a 9

Jupz said:
I love the intro, the way Bruce sounds when he comes in for the first time is breathtaking.

I really like the intro too. Just wish it didn't take 2 and half minutes to get to the really good stuff!

9 out of 10... I like everything about this tune, but Janick's solo has always been the high point for me. I too find Bruce's delivery of the lyrics perfect.

10/10. Another stonking masterpiece. I just love the intro guitar. Even though it's repetitive it just sounds fantastic. As soon as it kicks in it makes me want to play it myself (as if!!). 

The first half of the song is top class, and the second half, despite being a bit repetitive, is never boring. The solo is different in a good way. Only at the very end (last repetition of the chorus) does it get a little too much. Before that, the guitar backing is varied enough to overcome the repetitiveness in the vocal lines.

All in all, a great song. 9/10.

Too much repetition at the end of the song, and the instrumental section isn't that great either. However, I really like the intro, and how Bruce comes in. Verses aren't too shabby either. I also like the chorus in the first half of the song, even with the repetition (but it's too much just before the instrumental section and at the end). First half of the song gets a 9, 2nd half gets a 7 so 8/10 overall.

I gave it a 7/10 but I'm expecting that this song will grow so much on me in next couple of months.

8- I like the melody and the return of the gallop.  But the repetition is just too much, could have been an amazing 5 minute song.

Back