Out of the Silent Planet

How good is Out of the Silent Planet on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'out Of The Silent Planet'

Well, I was looking on the internet shortly after first listening to this song and I found this extract from an interview that Bruce did:
That's a fairly straightforward romp through sci-fi territory and a sort of 'Run To The Hills' revisited vibe. Certainly by halfway through the song 'cos I certainly wanted to get into the old gallop bit from the get go and Steve was like "Let's not give it to 'em straight away". It's based on the sci-fi classic The Forbidden Planet which is monsters from the id and this is basically monsters from the id. Again that was the inspiration for it anyway, a bunch of aliens who have destroyed their planet and now they've left their silent planet and they're coming to get us

I wonder if Bruce knows at all what he's talking about in that interview.  Are we talking about the same Out of the Silent Planet?  If I remember correctly, the book is about  a few humans going to Mars (could be another planet, I'm not sure), and it's Earth that is the "Silent Planet". 

Recently, I've started listening to DragonForce and I quite like the speed and the general feel of the music.  One song has an intro very similar to this song.  Anyone know what I mean? 

Daily Song: Out of the Silent Planet

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Out of the Silent Planet

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I absolutely adore this song. It really gets me up and rocking when the guitars hit properly, and it's in your face, an unceasing attack that rolls over you. Sad they didn't play it live (much), because I think it would be a real killer. Tough on Bruce, I expect. 9/10.

Re: Daily Song: Out of the Silent Planet

This song has the most unique intro and some very good verses. But I don't like the overdubbed vocals in sections like the Chorus. Besides that, there are some very good passages and the galloping is there. I also especially like the verses. 8/10

A nice catchy rocker with a few interesting change-ups, kind of hidden away in the nine slot. Never did get the lyrics, but that doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the song. Low eight

A fine vehicle for Bruce. It has its moments, especially in the couplets, where Bruce throws all his guts in.

"Haggard wisdom!"

The song doesn't have very enthralling melodies, though, and in the last minute it gets a bit repetitive, and I know better examples of gallopping moments in the Maiden catalogue.

I can almost imagine what the criticism on this one is: Repetition, repetition, repetition. The chorus does get repeated a lot, and I bet this can get on some people's nerves (Foro? ;))*. But, as you guys know by now, I don't mind repetition that much, and on this song, I think it is kept interesting by the different ways the chorus is done.

But what I love this song for so much are the instrumental section and the lyrics. Jan's solo on this one is one of my absolute favourite Maiden solos (again a proof that he is a bloody great guitarist), and the lyrics are among the best they ever did. Bruce shines, too. I can't find anything wrong with this song, it is simply amazing. 10/10.

*I wrote this before Foro posted, I hope no offense is taken :)

I love this bit in the commentary...

Bruce said:
Certainly by halfway through the song 'cos I certainly wanted to get into the old gallop bit from the get go and Steve was like "Let's not give it to 'em straight away".

I also love the way Bruce spits out his anger on this track...

"I accuse you."

Feel his wrath.

Excellent song - 9.

Perun said:
*I wrote this before Foro posted, I hope no offense is taken :)

I do not. :)

Albie said:
I also love the way Bruce spits out his anger on this track...

"I accuse you."

I am with you Albie! Bruce's expression is very compelling in this song.

Nothing special. See Forostar's post. 7

Even though it's one of the simpler songs, one of my most favorite rockers on the album. I just love the chorus with Bruce's overdubbed vocals. 9/10

My favorite song from Brave New World. Fantastic vocals and a mindblowing performance by Nicko. That has to be his best bass pedal performance ever. Absolutely fantastic. 10/10!

NightProwler666 said:
My favorite song from Brave New World. Fantastic vocals and a mindblowing performance by Nicko. That has to be his best bass pedal performance ever. Absolutely fantastic. 10/10!

Nickos pedal work is blistering on many tracks on this album, wicker man, brave new world, dream of mirrors, ootsp, ttlbhah. I think dream of mirrors is the most impressive though,
Love the melodies in this song and they way bruce sings some of the words (spitting, accuse, haggard wisom, crime, equilibrium etc) 10/10. great song

10. Perfect single! Shame it wasn't played on more than those 2 or 3 gigs, in 2001.

My favourite off the album for a very, very long time...until Blood Brothers managed to work its way deep into my veins.  This song sits atop the pantheon of Maiden songs that were underplayed live yet deserved to be set regulars.

Total and utter awesomeness.

10....although I originally selected a 9 before reading all of your posts which fired me up and drove me to award full marks.

When Bruces vocals come in for the first time on this song, it is just a beatiful feeling. The chorus rocks and so does the solo! 10/10.

Forostar said:
I am with you Albie! Bruce's expression is very compelling in this song.
That is what makes Bruce stand out from most singers - he's not just expressive in this track, but in almost every song he sings.

Back