Out of the Silent Planet

How good is Out of the Silent Planet on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'out Of The Silent Planet'

Gets 4.5. I love the song, and I like the acoustic bit at the beginning. However, it isn't good enough for 5 stars. Thats just something I can't give it. Great enough though, second best on the album, and a good choice for a single.

"The killing fields, the grinding wheels, crushed by equilibrium"

Well for me these "fields" represent war and the "grinding wheels" represent the war machines. And the deamons of creation (a clear symbol for God) come to re-establish the equilibrium we broke with all our errors (BNW speaks a lot about superficiality of our society, about our arrogance) like wars, the decaying skies (pollution)... etc
That's how I understand this sentence

and I definitely love that song, it's a great great one, nothing to say against it. 5 stars!!!

I remember the term "equilibrium" popping up very frequently when I was reading "Childhood's end" by Arthur C. Clarke.

[!--QuoteBegin-Everlasting+Feb 1 2005, 08:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Everlasting @ Feb 1 2005, 08:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]"The killing fields, the grinding wheels, crushed by equilibrium"

Well for me these "fields" represent war and the "grinding wheels" represent the war machines. And the deamons of creation (a clear symbol for God) come to re-establish the equilibrium we broke with all our errors (BNW speaks a lot about superficiality of our society, about our arrogance) like wars, the decaying skies (pollution)... etc
That's how I understand this sentence

and I definitely love that song, it's a great great one, nothing to say against it. 5 stars!!!
[snapback]97190[/snapback]​
[/quote]
why would they call "god" a demon if demons in all religions are a source of evil and "god" in all religions is a source of good and he/she/it itself is the ultimate good? your commentary makes sense to me ('cause i already said it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]) except that part.

[!--QuoteBegin-dogigniter+Sep 3 2004, 11:25 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Sep 3 2004, 11:25 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]. as far as i know they didn't play it live.
[snapback]85586[/snapback]​
[/quote]
They played it live in Mexico City

There's been some deep discussion here among you men. Adding my bit.

These are powerful lyrics. Nuclear warfare is one of possible interpretations. But I see several unlikely lines.
Demons of creation could refer both to human inventions misused, but paralleled by feelings of disillusionment with religion. More in this line - and the strongest verse in my opinion: "I accuse you, before you know the crime it's all too late." A clear accusation of God.

I really like the mellowness and Bruce's warm voice in the beginning, building up to the grinding straightforward energy of Gersian songwriting. Great edgy solo by Janick, who I usually find a bit chaotic but not here. Focused. And contemporary.

What a great song! One of my favourites among the newer songs. Four stars, and I regret not having added the half [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Jul 4 2005, 11:52 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Jul 4 2005, 11:52 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
Demons of creation could refer both to human inventions misused, but paralleled by feelings of disillusionment with religion. More in this line - and the strongest verse in my opinion: "I accuse you, before you know the crime it's all too late." A clear accusation of God.
[snapback]110929[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Do you mean humans accusing God, God accusing men....?

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 6 2005, 12:39 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 6 2005, 12:39 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Do you mean humans accusing God, God accusing men....?
[snapback]111142[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I meant it both ways.
God is like a prosecutor and judge in one in a Kafkian courtroom - man is predestined to commit crimes and be punished. That seems to me like a clear criticism aimed at a religious dogma - the original sin.

One of my fav songs on the album. I like the lyrics a lot, very meaningful and rather fun to try and interpret. I like the dark feeling the song has, not to mention how catchy it is. 4.5/5.

Re: 'out Of The Silent Planet'

Am I the only one who finds the off-time lead in the intro annoying? What is the deal with that, is it at two different timings or two different tempos or...?

"Withered hands, withered bodies begging for salvation".

When I first heard the above line, I thought of men in concentration camps surrounded by barbed wire. 

I used to be much more into this song, than I'm now.  Any alien aspect that may or may not be in this song I care nothing for.  Polaris, the song does seem to be off-time.

....there is a book with the same title (out of the silent planet) ....I think the song comes from it....anyone has read it?

PolarisSLBM said:
Am I the only one who finds the off-time lead in the intro annoying? What is the deal with that, is it at two different timings or two different tempos or...?

That's just echo, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I think its just 2 different tempos we're talking here. It's not unlike For the Greater Good of God, where there's an intro thats slower than the actual song. Or am I misunderstanding the question at hand?

Hey, when I read the lyrics a movie named Equilibrium (word mentioned in the lyrics) came right to my mind!

I don't even know if the movie was released before the song, but maybe you guys should see if you find any connection :D

I'm sure they are unrelated. Equilibrium is more of a cross between 1984 and The Matrix.

Hard to say those are unrelated >.>

Can anyone find out when the movie was released? If it was released after the song then probably both got inspired by same thing

Back