Other football codes

@Niall Kielt @srfc are you having a good St. Patty's Day?
29313340_10155952550196066_1489770700095881216_n.png

Id say so. Even Australia and South Africa don't intimidate as much as they used to and we have beaten the Kiwis once and gone close on other occasions recently(Argentina are a different matter!). There's legitimate hope of a great World Cup. I wouldn't say that it extends to confidence that we should win it but people certainly expect to get beyond the quarter finals next year.

Id say so. Even Australia and South Africa don't intimidate as much as they used to and we have beaten the Kiwis once and gone close on other occasions recently(Argentina are a different matter!). There's legitimate hope of a great World Cup. I wouldn't say that it extends to confidence that we should win it but people certainly expect to get beyond the quarter finals next year.
Saw the final moments of that win against the All Blacks on an awful quality stream, don't think I'll ever forget it nevertheless. And I only said northern hemisphere cause I don't want to jinx it, can't wait for the World Cup.

How does a Bulgarian become a fan of Rugby and Gaelic Football anyway?
Was interested in football codes different from soccer since I was a kid, believe it or not. In the 80s, you could get The Times here in Sofia (with a delay of a few days obviously), and my dad used to buy it for me from time to time to boost my English lessons. That's when I discovered Rugby, and the difference between Union and League. Learned about Gaelic Football later, and hadn't seen an actual game until Eurosport showed a (recorded) game in the 2000s.

And I'm happy to say that, unlike many other sports, the first Rugby games I saw were not on TV but at the stadium, Bulgaria vs Andorra in 1988 and Bulgaria vs Luxembourg next year I think.

Last edited:
Back