Other football codes

Leinster going from 10:0 to 10:20, damn.
At least we went and watched Bulgaria winning against Andorra earlier today, and a lovely summer afternoon it was.

Lovely summer afternoon here too but Leinster really shit the bed.
I hope we have another glorious Bulgaria soccer team soon. Hiristo for Pope

Well, during my playing days (I retired in 2005) it was any part of the hand, so long as there was a distinct connection with the ball as opposed to a kind of push or throw. Using the heel of the hand was most common. Rules change quite often though and I don't follow too closely these days. The sport has gone to shit, in my opinion. Most games are turgid affairs. Slow moving and defensive, the opposite of what it should be. Hurling, however, is still a joy to behold.

What is the web telling you?

Well, during my playing days (I retired in 2005) it was any part of the hand, so long as there was a distinct connection with the ball as opposed to a kind of push or throw. Using the heel of the hand was most common. Rules change quite often though and I don't follow too closely these days. The sport has gone to shit, in my opinion. Most games are turgid affairs. Slow moving and defensive, the opposite of what it should be. Hurling, however, is still a joy to behold.

What is the web telling you?
Wiki says "a strike of the ball with the side of the closed fist, using the knuckle of the thumb"
This (https://learning.gaa.ie/sites/default/files/Coach/Files/Hand Pass-skillcard_09b_aw.pdf) says open hand.
This
seems to show something different.
And this one
Or are hand and fist passes different things?

The first video is what I would have done for longer passes or if I was under pressure and the pass needed to be fast and direct and I would have used the open handed technique for shorter passes under no pressure.
The closed fist, using the knuckle of the thumb is something I have seen but never used. Hurts a bit. In the old days guys would have used it more often and would have used it as a clearance rather than a direct pass to a team mate. I never quite understood that, why not just kick the thing?

So in terms of actual rules these days, I am not sure. But as Mickey Harte explains in the second video, at full pace sometimes things are not done exactly according to the laws of the game and these minor breaches are not always punished. Same as the 'over carrying' rule. A player is only supposed to be allowed 4 paces before either passing, bouncing or hand-toeing the ball but this is very often overlooked, especially if the offending player is shaping to shoot...

Missed the All-Ireland football final being on a plane* so I really appreciate it's kindly being replayed. Hope to catch it on 14th, would really like to see David Clifford in action.

coming back from a game against Odense Lions 2nd team.

Was immense fun, and a huge improvement since our debut game. Kudos Lions! (and Lionesses!)

giphy.gif

@Magnus @Niall Kielt World Cup time.

Back