Other football codes

Ireland pretty poor, especially second half.

I'm not a natural rugby fan so apologies if my observations sound like total bollocks, but the thing that stood out for me as costing Ireland was decision making, in the Italy game last week, they kicked the ball back into play real quickly after a try with 20 seconds left on the clock and ended up concedeing a try, those seven points meant they needed to win by the same margin tonight, and then just at half time tonight instead of sticking a penalty over the bar they took a risk for a try and fucked it up.

I saw a great stat during the week. For anyone not from Ireland, rugby is generally played in posh, fee paying schools, similar to the public schools in England, like where Bruce went to school. The Leinster Schools Senior Cup is the main underage rugby school competition, dominated by such schools. In the year 2000, there was only 18 babies christened Hugo in Ireland. In the year 2018, three players named Hugo played in the semi finals of the Leinster Schools Senior Cup. :lol:

:DIreland pretty poor, especially second half.

I'm not a natural rugby fan so apologies if my observations sound like total bollocks, but the thing that stood out for me as costing Ireland was decision making, in the Italy game last week, they kicked the ball back into play real quickly after a try with 20 seconds left on the clock and ended up concedeing a try, those seven points meant they needed to win by the same margin tonight, and then just at half time tonight instead of sticking a penalty over the bar they took a risk for a try and fucked it up.

I saw a great stat during the week. For anyone not from Ireland, rugby is generally played in posh, fee paying schools, similar to the public schools in England, like where Bruce went to school. The Leinster Schools Senior Cup is the main underage rugby school competition, dominated by such schools. In the year 2000, there was only 18 babies christened Hugo in Ireland. In the year 2018, three players named Hugo played in the semi finals of the Leinster Schools Senior Cup. :lol:
Dead on in terms of Ireland bein lackin. Just not at it the night. Nad decisions amd worse hands.
In terms of names an middle class carry on. Theres a lot of workin class weans called Rihanna these days, Skylar gets a touch round my way too so I reckon theres shit trends in all classes.
In terms of barriers to rugby; in my town it was the same. Workin class played Gaelic, posh ones played rugby. That was the assumption and thats what prevented a younger me playin rugby. My fault, not theirs. My brother and father played both rugby and gaelic, friends of the same age group played and starred for the local rugby and gaelic teams. They saw it as a way of stayin fit over the winter. But i didn't play for years, despite requests, due to my bigotry and notions of class. When I finally did tog out I got an eye opener. First night trainin, wet and windy, my brother was there so I had a big target on me, I got destroyed by a doctors son, posh boy from the town, I knew him, didnt rate him as a hard guy, he ran straight over the top of me. Made me rethink everythin I thought I knew about hardness and class and manliness and privilege. Point is, posh cunts are no less hard by virtue of birth than lesser privileged folk. So dont underestimate Hugo in a scrap. Around the world sailing is another one. Them boys are all from money and they are all hard as fuck.
Still, all that said, thats a damnin statistic you gave. I might get a snood with '18 Hugos' on it

Dead on in terms of Ireland bein lackin. Just not at it the night. Nad decisions amd worse hands.
In terms of names an middle class carry on. Theres a lot of workin class weans called Rihanna these days, Skylar gets a touch round my way too so I reckon theres shit trends in all classes.
In terms of barriers to rugby; in my town it was the same. Workin class played Gaelic, posh ones played rugby. That was the assumption and thats what prevented a younger me playin rugby. My fault, not theirs. My brother and father played both rugby and gaelic, friends of the same age group played and starred for the local rugby and gaelic teams. They saw it as a way of stayin fit over the winter. But i didn't play for years, despite requests, due to my bigotry and notions of class. When I finally did tog out I got an eye opener. First night trainin, wet and windy, my brother was there so I had a big target on me, I got destroyed by a doctors son, posh boy from the town, I knew him, didnt rate him as a hard guy, he ran straight over the top of me. Made me rethink everythin I thought I knew about hardness and class and manliness and privilege. Point is, posh cunts are no less hard by virtue of birth than lesser privileged folk. So dont underestimate Hugo in a scrap. Around the world sailing is another one. Them boys are all from money and they are all hard as fuck.
Still, all that said, thats a damnin statistic you gave. I might get a snood with '18 Hugos' on it

Yeah wasn't having a go at the name itself or even the class system, just thought it was funny that a particular name could be so concentrated.

Re: decision making

The key one I forgot to mention is the guy who got sin binned for the penalty try for France. Why? If you let him score they get 5 points and a chance they may miss the conversion, instead by fouling, they don't even have to take the conversion and we were down a man for 10 mins.

Yeah wasn't having a go at the name itself or even the class system, just thought it was funny that a particular name could be so concentrated.
It is pretty fucked up, in fairness.

Re: decision making

The key one I forgot to mention is the guy who got sin binned for the penalty try for France. Why? If you let him score they get 5 points and a chance they may miss the conversion, instead by fouling, they don't even have to take the conversion and we were down a man for 10 mins.
Aye, pointless. He musta just got caught up in the moment. The kind of thing you expect at the end of a game. Although my da always said that him an his mates only ever had a rudimentary understanding of the rules. They just played til they heard the whistle. Maybe the pros have a bit of that too, maybe he didnt realise exactly what the outcome of his tackle would be. Or maybe hes just a tool.

Like I said I'm not from a rugby background, but I enjoy watching Ireland, games can be exciting when they are close and because fuck all countries play it most games are between teams of a similar standard. But after years of watching I still haven't a clue what the rules are.

From last Friday's Touch practice.
1608156749109.png

Jeez, I almost look like I actually know what I'm doing :lol:
Supporting the ball carrier in front of me, most probably.

Ireland unlucky in the end. O'Mahony rightly sent off, a disgraceful challenge, but were in with a shout and if not for some stupid decisions in the last few mins, could well have won it. 3 howlers from Burns really, a stupid crossfield kick, can't remember what the second one was and then missing a kick to touch.

Not exactly what I hoped to see, I must admit.
What Ireland did with 14 men was heroic; why that had to happen in the first place is another matter.

Great game today, but looks like Wales will take it all for no particular reason.
England vs France yesterday shouldn't have ended that way but "it is what it is".

Ireland doing good against the foe at half time, 2 good tries, let's finish the job now!

There's been some nail biting in Wales tonight I'm sure.
I guess each and every Scottish person in Wales right now is entitled to a free pint.

Back