Only the Good Die Young

How good is Only the Good Die Young on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Only The Good Die Young' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'only The Good Die Young'

A great way to close a great album. This song has very good lyrics and I also really like the chorus. I never get tired of listening to the excellent opening riff either.

Stranger's definitive rating: 4.5 stars.

4,5/5 !

One of the best Adrian's solo !

Lyrics are one of my favorites, although I have spent a lot of time to understand them ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-I've Got The Fire+Jun 18 2004, 12:58 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(I've Got The Fire @ Jun 18 2004, 12:58 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Fantastic ending to any Maiden song. Beautifully references the Killers era. [/quote]
Isn't it a bit of a misnomer to consider Killers an "era"? The album's just an arrangement of stuff that wasn't quite good enough to get on the first album. Except for Wrathchild and Killers, which Steve left off Iron Maiden somewhat on purpose.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 18 2004, 01:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 18 2004, 01:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Isn't it a bit of a misnomer to consider Killers an "era"?  The album's just an arrangement of stuff that wasn't quite good enough to get on the first album.  Except for Wrathchild and Killers, which Steve left off Iron Maiden somewhat on purpose. [/quote]
Fair enough. Lets call it the 'Dianno era' then or 'the ending sounds like it might have come off the Killers album' The ending to the song has a real 'Another Life' feel to it. Before you say anything, it only has a 'feeling' and is not a direct lift.

I can see that. Another Life is a very spacy song, just like this one. Somewhat less refined, but still good.

I great ending to a great album, but IMHO a bit too short. They could have done a bit more of a harmony part like in the last part of the chorus.

This is my interpretation of the song:
The Seventh Son finally knows that he is going to die. The day before he dies, he speaks his heart out to all the people arounf him. He tells them that they are all part evil (The demon in your heads...). He says that he does not wish to try and prevent his death (If I cancel tomorrow...). He laments that he, the "mystery madman" has been a mere pawn in the game between the good and the evil. There also have been a lot of stalemates in the game.
He mocks the people and tells them that they have too much of lust and desire in life and finally, they will be confined in a coffin-whos size is a mockery of the amount of lust and desire they carry.
He finally leaves them to their bishops, their guilt and wishes them to have a good sin until he sees them again (after a possible reincarnation).

All in all, it is a song mocking the folks that made his life a living hell. And he says that only the good (like him) die young and all the evil (like the people) seems to live forever.

Gave it four stars. Cool main riff. Every ingredient that makes a great chorus - tune, smooth singing and chorus riff. Very decent solos, especially Adrian and Steve. Although I must agree with the rest of you that a little more instrumental work wouldn't harm here. Fantastic "classic" ending.

The atmosphere, as in the rest of the album, is superb: both unsettling and gratifying. In fact, back in the 80s it caused yet another young soul fall for Maiden [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .

The lyrics are excellent and worth a second read.
A very true line:
The wisdom of ages, the lies and outrages concealed

because each new generation learns the knowledge of its predecessor but makes the same mistakes.

Some of the lines speak of curiosity, already dealt with in Infinite Dreams and The Evil.
Is death another birthday, a way to kiss your dreams goodbye?
Do the undead live within us and look through our eyes?

Unfortunately, the conclusion is pessimistic indeed. A bitter reference to Jesus:
Walking on water are miracles all you can trust

and giving in to sin and eternal hypocrisy.
Measure your coffin does it measure up to your lust?
So I think I'll leave you with your bishops and your guilt
So until the next time, have a good sin

Whenever i tell some Maiden fan, I really like this song, close to the point of it being my favorite on the 7th son LP, I get nothing but scorn or pityful comments. So it was kinda heartwarming to see that some of you out there in the maidensphere like it as much as i do. Great chorus, so simple but so efficient, Adrian rules on that number as well as Steve's licks all around the tune and Bruce's voice is at its peak to end the album on a really high note...much higher than its opening (the Who's Baba O'Riley style intro) to my mind. And yet one more excellent song never played live. [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] 4 1/2 out of 5, that's my final word!
By the way, I know it's only wishful thinking but I think someday the band should play a set, even a one-off thing maybe for the die hard fans with only gems that heve never or seldom been played live such as "Only the good die young", "Deja Vu", "Still life", "To tame a land", "Flash of the blade", "Duellists","the Prophecy" and its acoustic ending or even some old singles such as "Stranger in a strange land" or 'Flight of Icarus", not to mention the cult "Alexander the great" praised by many but forgotten by the band.
Some sarcastic spirits have suggested that if Maiden doesn't venture too much on -what has now become- unknown territories, it's just because they don't know how to play theose songs anymore and won't bother to learn'em all again. (Might be a reason why we haven't been treated to some nice rendition of "To tame a land" on this tour? Why try hard when u can have "Running Free" last for 8 minutes or bloody unbearable " Sanctuary" !!!)
Just hoping that if an "Early Days part 2" is on the cards, they won't just offer the usual stuff...What's the point of only playing "2 minutes' & "Powerslave","Heaven can wait" & "the evil that men do". No, they'll have to take risks this time! Play the entire three LP's, take 2 nights in a row if necessarym but please delight us the way Queensryche or Dream Theater delight their fans. Hope U will! [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The ending sure does the make the album very complete and gives off that magical atmosphere! But the song is too short. 4 stars.

Can anyone expound on the use of Occult iconography in this song? In particular the allusions to "The Blood Red Moon" and "The Black Sun" ?

"The moon is red and bleeding, the sun is burnt and black"

These forms are, of course, prevalent in witchcraft and paganism - but more specifically in a source oft referenced by Iron Maiden - the writings of Aleister Crowley.

Perhaps, there may be an even deeper (read: more tortuous) allegory being struck upon here, although I haven't been able to find a cast iron (ahem) interconnection between it, and the above symbols.

Are there alchemical connotations implied in these lyrics? After all, the duality of Sol and Luna are synonymous with its doctrine.

Additionally, they are referenced in the lyrics of Bruce Dickinson's "The Alchemist" - the thematic centrepiece of his semi-concept album "The Chemical Wedding":

"Don't try and blame me for your sins, For the sun has burned me black"

So to sum up, "The Blood Red Moon" and "The Black Sun" - possible links to Alchemy? Or am I just raving, feverously again?

Re: 'only The Good Die Young'

Kynisk Sokol said:
The ending sure does the make the album very complete and gives off that magical atmosphere! But the song is too short. 4 stars.

I have a theory that they made this one short to compliment the lyrics. The song literally dies young. Sometimes the medium is the message.

Really good song. One of my favs from 7th son.

Daily Song: Only the Good Die Young

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Only the Good Die Young

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This is a song I consider an "easy 8". Many Maiden fans will gravitate towards an 8 when it's a song they like enough to like but not enough to love. I like this song, but it isn't in the 9/10 range. But it's not in the 7 range, when I start thinking a song is too long. It is what is is - pretty damn good. 8.

Re: Daily Song: Only the Good Die Young

An unconventional (non-epic) album closer for Maiden, that works very well in that form. As a standalone song, it’s pretty conventional however. Good, not great chorus. Good not great verses, good, not great instrumental parts. For me, it’s the definition of a seven.

An under-appreciate song which in my opinion is better than most of the other songs in this album.

I`m going to give it an eight.

(Side note: Sigh... none of the next ten songs will get anything higher than a 6 from me...)

Great, galloping rhythm, verses are magnificent! One of the most Maiden's underrated songs!

A solid 8.

This is quite a typical Maiden song with many typical elements: catchy chorus, galloping, H and Davey's guitar harmonies, and mysterious lyrics.  I give it what I've given most other good Maiden rockers: a solid 8.

This one is one that carries me away more than most songs. The chorus is great, the little bass solo in the middle is really nice and overall the song kicks more ass than any other song on this album. 9/10.

Back