Only the Good Die Young

How good is Only the Good Die Young on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Only the Good Die Young

Both guitar solos seem too bluesy for what SSOASS represents. My second fave song on the album, I adore the verses and chorus, but the solos bring it back to an....8

A good closure to an excellent album. As it stands, it's OK but the way it complements the album gives it an 8 from me.

Another fantastic song. Man, I start to sound like Travis! ;-)

Seriously, this one I love since the first time I heard it. Invader noted the lyrics, which are indeed mysterious but also more poetic than the average Maiden song. Sometimes I imagine this song as a "distant descendant" of The Duellists, because of its constant tempo and not that different rhythm. Lyrically the chorus can be seen as simple, but melodically, I'd say this is one of Maiden's best sounding choruses. Listen to the two Bruces, excellent really. What makes it even better is that in the second half of the chorus, the line "All the evil seems to live forever" is replaced by that great guitar melody
.. ta-da-da-daaa-da-da   ta-da-da-daaa-da-da   ...

Another 10. This means that this is the album I have given the most 10s, namely five!

Forostar said:
Lyrically the chorus can be seen as simple, but melodically, I'd say this is one of Maiden's best sounding choruses. Listen to the two Bruces, excellent really. What makes it even better is that in the second half of the chorus, the line "All the evil seems to live forever" is replaced by that great guitar melody
.. ta-da-da-daaa-da-da   ta-da-da-daaa-da-da   ...

Yeah, that chorus is one of my favourite Maiden choruses. I usually find myself singing the 2nd voice when singing along to it.

9. I love the tense mood of this song and H's intricated and dizzy solo; the grand finale is superb, too. The perfect closure to a perfect album.

Another I'm not sure on. 8 or 9 here. I love the bass, the singing, the chorus and the ending. The solos are nice too but it isn't quite as special as what came before it. As I listen to it, I'm edging towards an 8 but then "Seven Deadly Sins..." comes on and I'm up for giving it a 9 again. 8.5 -> 9.

7 out of 10...  good but not great. I'd probably give it an 8 were it not for Bruce's vocal.

Hmmm... seemed to have missed writing in this the other day when I voted, oh well.

Anyway, a solid rocker and a solid album ender. It's not one of the standouts of the album, but it compliments the album quite nicely. I really like the vocals and how Bruce delivers them, the solos aren't as great but the verses and chorus has a catchy rhythm to them. 8/10

+1
Not only chorus. The sound of guitars is divine, the galloping one of the best ever, the lyrics mysterious and dark. Take a look to that beautiful solo: Built so damn carefully, one note after the other to lead to the most beautiful and meaningful Harris' solo in 30 years. If this song ain't perfect, no one is. 10/10

So until the next time, have a good sin!

sadly i can't give this one a proper rating because my cd is scratched to the point that it stops after the chorus and i'm to lazy to youtube it i havn't really heard the end of the song in a long time. :lol:

Captivating and intense, the band deliver a top notch performance that closes one of their very best albums perfectly. Considering the lyrics, it's painful to me to think about these being among their very best, and have such a steep drop on the next album. This hint of tragedy makes me appreciate this song even more. 10/10.

I've never heard this song all the way through but I like the parts I've heard. The way Bruce sings the lyrics is awesome. 8/10

I find the first lines rather stupid. It's a nice closer, but not as good as previous ones like Hallowed, TTAL, and so on. 7/10

I love the chorus, but that abrupt ending ruins the song. Should've been played live instead of Can I Play With Madness (great song, but horrible live). 8/10.

Back