Official Tourdates Discussion Thread

Re: More tourdates to be announced on Halloween says IM.com

Iron Maiden confirm Prague show
Published: December 10, 2007

Iron Maiden are to perform at the Slavia Football Stadium in Prague on Friday 8th August as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008.

Steve Harris says "We've got a lot of friends in Prague as we visit there as often as we can although this time it's going to be a little different as we're in a much bigger venue than usual at the football stadium so the atmosphere will be all that more special I think.

I remember the last time we were there at the T Mobile Arena and it was the opening show of the Eddie Rips Up Europe tour in 2005 and the reception from the fans was just incredible. Nearly lifted the roof off the place! It's always electric thanks to the energy of the fans and we're really looking forward to playing there again."

Tickets go on sale to the public on Monday 17th December.

well hopefully Maiden will confirm a gig for Dublin and give me and early christmas present  :yey:

Iron Maiden Official Website said:
Iron Maiden confirms Athens Terra Vibe show
Published: December 11, 2007

Big Star Promotion in association with Phantom Music Management and K2 Agency  is proud to announce that Greece will be part of Iron Maiden's spectacular SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME WORLD TOUR 2008.

Iron Maiden are confirmed to perform at the Terra Vibe Park  in Athens on Saturday 2nd August 2008.

Steve Harris says, "This is a great venue to play. We played there back in 2005 and I remember it being unbearably  hot but the fans were just wild and gave us a fantastic reception. I have to say that fans in Greece are as loud and responsive as any anywhere in the world. Thats the major reason why we have always tried hard to have Greece in out tour itinery although it can be tough geographically!! We also enjoy Athens culturally and we have all made more than one visit to the Acropolis and other beautiful relics.And the food is terrific!!"

It's continue !  :yey:

Iron Maiden and organisers of the Wacken Open Air Festival 2008 are very pleased to confirm that Maiden will headline the opening night of the Wacken Open Air Festival on the Thursday 31st July.

-------

Hmm, opening night? A little bit of a let down, because it means the rest of the festival will be less cool after that.

BTW, I'm a bit anxious I might miss the Dutch date (if it will come) because of Wacken.

Can't you attend both? Wacken is not that far from the Dutch border, I guess it would not be more than a few hours by car/train from, say, Amsterdam?

If they come, I'll definitely try.

It's a 400 km drive from my city (I don't live near the German border).
More importantly, the festival is 3 days, and I don't hope Maiden will play in the Netherlands on the 2nd day. I still expect to see some other great bands, but would I sacrifice a Dutch gig for that? I can only hope Maiden won't play in the Netherlands on August the 1st.

Shows confirmed for Romania and Poland today:

Maiden confirm ROMANIA show
Published: December 12, 2007

Iron Maiden are very pleased to announce they will be performing at the Cotroceni Football Stadium in Bucharest, Romania on Monday 4th August as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008.

Steve Harris says "We've mentioned before in previous announcements how exciting it is to be playing new places and although we have visited Bucharest only once before, way back in October 1995, this will be the first time our fans there will get to see Bruce performing the classic songs.  So this will basically like playing here for the first time for us and I'm sure the fans will be as fired for it as we are!"

Maiden confirm POLAND show
Published: December 12, 2007

Iron Maiden are very pleased to announce they will be performing at the Gwardia Stadium in Warsaw, Poland on Thursday 7th August as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008.

Steve Harris says "This will be a very special show for us for many reasons as the Powerslave Tour was the first time we visited Poland all the way back in 1985 which was a really big deal back then owing to the country being under Soviet rule at that time. Despite what many people told us to expect of life 'Behind the Iron Curtain' we found only the most friendly of welcomes from the fans in Poland some of whom would save up nearly a months wages just to get hold of one our records at that time. So ever since then we've always tried to make sure we got to Poland on every tour as the fans there always remind us of that amazing time."

Forostar said:
If they come, I'll definitely try.

It's a 400 km drive from my city (I don't live near the German border).
More importantly, the festival is 3 days, and I don't hope Maiden will play in the Netherlands on the 2nd day. I still expect to see some other great bands, but would I sacrifice a Dutch gig for that? I can only hope Maiden won't play in the Netherlands on August the 1st.

That would be exhausting, I guess - first the 400 km to Wacken, Maiden concert (and some more, I guess) in the night, and then the same drive back the day after. What is a typical driving time for 400 km in such flat terrain? I guess the roads are straight and way better than most Norwegian roads ... and for me, it is a 600 km drive from Trondheim to Fredrikstad, my home town. Takes between 7 and 8 hours (yes, the speed limit is 80 km/h for most of the distance, 100 km/h for about 100 km). I assume the road standard in Holland and northern Germany allows a driving time of less than 4 hours for 400 km.

But of course, if Maiden choose to play Holland on August the 1st, you have a tough choice anyway, especially if the 2nd day of Wacken Open Air features good bands.

I hope I'm not really crazy for asking this, but is it true the Autobahn (sp?) has no speed limit? I've never been to Europe, let alone Germany, and am curious. I've been bits and pieces of a documentary about it on the History Channel  :D (big H on the bottom of the screen!) Was Hitler the one who wanted it built? I'm just a curious American, that's all  :p

Hitler stimulated to build more of them but he was not the inventor, nor were the nazis. A lot of parts of the German Autobahn have speedlimits, but some also not. If you like, read this big article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Autobahns

@Eddies Wingman: It seems I was wrong. From my city (Delft) it's 576 km. Approximately 5 hours driving.

Most German motorways date back to the nazi times, but some of the most important ones had already been built when Hitler came to power. Of course, the network was expanded after the war, mostly in West Germany.
Incidentally, "Autobahn" is the word most often uttered in Germany when people want to argue that "not all was bad" in the Third Reich.

And yes, on long, rural parts of the autobahn, with no exits, intersections or special geographical features (hillsides etc), there is no speed limit. I paid special attention to it for a while, and it seemed to me that, at least on the parts I frequent/used to frequent (A9 Nuremberg-Berlin, A7 Würzburg-Hamburg), speed limits are rare. Of course, urban autobahns such as those in Berlin or the Ruhr area have (at times very strict) limits.

Well, are variable speed limits common in Germany? So that the traffic authorities can decide to have a higher speed limit at night when traffic is sparse, and a lower limit if fog or snow is present?

(On some of the main roads in Norway they operate with a winter speed limit which is typically 10 or 20 km/h lower than the summer limit, but I was thinking about speed limits that could be changed several times a day if necessary).

Forostar, 576 km one way seems to be quite a trip, but of course it's not that much if it is to attend a 3-day festival ...? Let's hope that Maiden play Holland after the festival is over  B)

Dr Cox said:
yeah it's not looking too likely at this stage. I picked up a ticket for the Twickenham show anyway, first time to be seated at a Maiden gig, should be interesting. A friend of mine was in the RDS recently for a rugby match, must ask him what it is like now after being renovated. Now that i think of it, Bruce Springsteen is playing gigs there in May next year so i guess the renovations haven't effected it's ability to host gigs.

I think that Marley park would be great as it hols up to 30k and its easy to get to!!¬!!!!!

Due to "phenomenal demand," British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN have added a second show in Paris, France — on Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at the Ominisport De Bercy Arena. Tickets for this gig go on sale on December 28 at 10:00 a.m.

+

FROM MAIDEN'S SOUTH AMERICAN PROMOTER:  AN APOLOGY TO THE FANS THERE WHO MAY MISS MAIDEN NEXT YEAR

As IRON MAIDEN 's  Brazil promoters  we  are stumped by a new puzzle... How do you fit the IRON MAIDEN army of Brazilian fans into the venues here ?

We know you can't fit a square in a circle but we  have never seen such demand and now understand what an impossible task it is to fit ALL the Maiden fans into the venues in Brazil for Maiden's 2008 Tour. At record setting speeds, after going on sale earlier this month, the dates in Sao Paolo - 42,000, Curitiba - 20,000 and Porto Alegre - 13,000  sold out already... over 2 months in advance of the concerts. And no-one has ever even sold out Curitiba in advance before... no-one! 

We apologize to the Brazilian fans for not being able to figure out the riddle sooner. We now know the answer... MORE DATES ...or build bigger stadiums for IRON MAIDEN concerts! 

It is now clear to us that IRON MAIDEN must return in 2009 to be able to accommodate all those fans that sadly will be left out of these concerts... because it will take too long to build bigger stadiums!!!!!

And all this is following a protest yesterday by Maiden's Venezuelan battalion of fans outside our offices in Caracas demanding to know why we werent organising a concert there!!  We did try but couldnt fit it in the band's schedule! 09 too we hope! And with Maiden's first visit to Bogota already near to the 40,000 sell out with Chile and Argentina following strongly, it appears very obvious that South America loves Iron Maiden with a vengeance. So as Maiden's promoters we promise fans there that we will make every effort to attempt to satisfy more of the incredible demand next time.

Phil Rodriguez
Evenpro / WBI
www.evenpro.com

2009? Woohoo! Another year of touring!  :lol:

No, j/k, they need a break sometime! I'll see them next year. Then I'll be satisfied  ;)

:yey:

IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, WHITESNAKE, AT THE GATES and FORBIDDEN are among the confirmed bands for next year's Graspop Metal Meeting, set to take place June 27-29, 2008 at De Boeretand in Dessel, Belgium. The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

IRON MAIDEN
JUDAS PRIEST

WHITESNAKE
MINISTRY
SONATA ARCTICA
BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
VOLBEAT
MY DYING BRIDE
AT THE GATES

FORBIDDEN
HOLLENTHON
DEATHSTARS
CONVERGE
COMEBACK KID

So is Graspop the Belgian equivalent of Donington? That's a ton of bands! Plus Maiden and Priest? That's sure to draw huge numbers! You guys who are going have a great time!  :ok:

In Western Europe one of the bigger festivals indeed (3 days).

The Graspop poster look so cool.  B)

affiche.jpg

Back