Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

Yeah, I've just about ignored the claims that I must listen to this album to death to come to any conclusions. I said it was the best modern Maiden album five days ago. I'm saying it today. And I'm going to say it tomorrow too.

I've had to stock up on tissues for this album. Listening to IOA at the bus stop right night and the guitar solos have sparked another emotional reaction....and my girlfriend says I don't have feelings!

Travis, can you PM me the link to your scans?

LordMaiden said:
Yeah, I've just about ignored the claims that I must listen to this album to death to come to any conclusions. I said it was the best modern Maiden album five days ago. I'm saying it today. And I'm going to say it tomorrow too.
On the very first listen, I pretty much instantly loved the album. Only a few parts of some songs had to grow on me. The verses in MOM, the first verse at 2:25 in TMWWBK and the 2nd and 3rd vocal parts in WTWWB. And even those parts are the least enjoyable, I still like them a lot now that they've grown on me.
Done LC. :)
It sure is nice to see an add for the new Maiden on Blabbermouth: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... index.aspx
The Target ad in the Sunday paper didn't have TFF in the new release section. Oh well.

In a recent interview I heard H say that Steve is "pretty much into writing lyrics and melodies these days" and is "the filter" of the group. Does anyone know if Steve tosses his own musical bits into the mix or if he kind of structures and influences the outcome of music written by the other members? I read somewhere that Steve only contributed music in the form of WTWWB and mainly focused on melodies for this record, which I have a very hard time believing. I was always under the impression he would have or write pieces of music that would fit with the music of the other guys. There are certain parts in the album that I think came straight from Steve's hands, such as the riff to Isle of Avalon beginning at 4:16. Just wondering.

The middle section of Isle Of Avalon reminds me of something from Ozric Tentacles. Fucking class!

I'm blown away by this album. Last album to blow me away was Brave New World. But I love DOD and AMOLAD!

Will-I-Am said:
*is like going honeymoon with your wife and instead of seizing the day, to consume your brain comparing her with your ex-girlfriends  ;)

So are you saying you've now broken up with AMOLAD, Dance of Death, and the others? ;)

Forostar said:

Odd. They gave me one when I bought the album at the cashier. They're really nice coasters too, not like the cheap crap you got with the Wicker Man single for instance. Heavy cork stuff with high quality prints on them- Number of the Beast, Wicker Man, Ben Breeg and Final Frontier (Eddie's face) artwork. I.e. you can actually use them and wipe them off and they won't break.

Maybe it was a special offer at the store I got it at (a large electronics retail chain named Saturn). They also seemed to have a limited stock, and I was pretty much the first on Friday to buy an album.

Here, in some different stores (but not mine) you got a t-shirt as an extra if you'd pay 23,50 euro for it. But I didn't do that.

Just went out and bought the album.
Didn't download the leak, so now it's time to listen for the first time. :rocker:

Mission edition just arrived but I've gotta go out so I won't be able to check it out for a few hours, already impressed with it though, can't wait to hear it like it was meant to be heard and not the mediocre quality of the leak

LooseCannon said:
Maybe you didn't understand the concept.
I understood the concept perfectly well thank you very much. I would appreciate it if you didn't needlessly insult my intelligence again.

Rikstewart said:
can't wait to hear it like it was meant to be heard and not the mediocre quality of the leak

Mediocre quality? Wow, I think the 320kbps leak that I have sounds fantastic . But then again I don't have a high end system.

Am i allowed to write my short opinions on the whole record here?
If i missed the topic, transfer where appropriate.

Ok, so after a lot of anticipation and two teasers the thing leaked and i dl-it, and listened about 15 times since. First so say, i just love how two teasers basically revealed nothing about the whole album itself. The experience was really surprising and refreshing. Artwork is quite nice, the return of old logo, yes the cover art is CGI but the image is great. Sound wise - i'd like a bit more warmth on the guitars, a touch of chorus/delay, more attack on the drums, Bruce sometimes isn't that clear to undestand, but Harry's bass is very good, up front and leading the charge as we're used on classic Maiden. I can't say i'm fully satisfied with production, but i'm satisfied enough. Especially with dynamics, you can clearly hear the difference in picking power, etc. Definitely not dull.

Satellite 15. While reading the reviews i had a totally wrong impression of this song, until i heard it. It's powerful, good, atmospheric and unpredictable. The fact that they just pasted Adrian's demo onto the final record is astonishing. Not because it's Adrian, because it's Maiden...a band that was always a collective, that does things on 1970's old-school way. And it was a total win! However, it ain't all shiny, it's a bit too long, it could be a bit shorter, or with additional elements. 4 / 5

The Final Frontier. Nice rock song. Simple, effective lyrics, nice riff, nice melody, good solo, it's not demanding on the listener, yet it flows very good. But it doesn't have anything that would make it very good or excellent. In any case, above average Maiden. 3.5 / 5

El Dorado. Gallop returns, again a simple rockish song with good solos, live it's very good, looks like a lot of fun to play. But on the record, it's merely average. 3 / 5

At this point i'd like to mention that first three (or two) songs are interconnected nicely and they score better when you listen to them in order.

Mother Of Mercy. Killer intro. Very good lyrics. Another war song, i imagine future earth army killing some aliens in a debatable conflict. Ending is specially good, very, very heavy. Solo is not out of the ordinary, but the breakdown lick is refreshing and ingenious. 4 / 5

Coming Home. Apart from the beginning riff, which to me seems a bit out of the place, other is...very beautiful. Yes, you can clearly hear influence from Bruce's solo career, the lyrics are beautiful, the music goes down every bit with them. Bruce sings like a fucking god. But i really don't like the beginning riff, so 4.5 / 5

The Alchemist. I don't dig the lyrics. Good old school licks right at the beginning. Fast song, nothing special, plays a good role on the record overall. 3.5 / 5

Isle Of Avalon. Killer intro, reminescent of Seventh Son. Again, Bruce sings excellent, guitars literally talk to each other. When the power kicks in, it's just a bit too "happy". Instrumental section is great. 4.5 / 5

Starblind. There is not a second of this song that's not brilliant. Best track on the album. If Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is the musical and lyrical masterpiece of the golden era Maiden, this is it's equivalent of the current line-up. It even beats Paschendale. There, i've said it. It beats Paschendale. The atmosphere, the breakdowns, the solos, Gilmourish guitar licks, it takes you on the voyage, and when it finally peaks with that agressive riff, you're full of power, but it continues travelling with the synths in the background, finally slows down, and Adrian starts spilling his magic with that celestial slow guitar solo. The concept behind the lyrics is fascinating, it's very, very deep and relevant, which LC summed great in his post. 5 / 5

The Talisman. Very good story. I don't have an issue with Bruce's singing, and he sang this one excellent IMHO. Great riffage, one of the best vocal melodies / choruses they've had in years. Again great instrumental sections, i really like the slow intro, it may be reminsecent of The Legacy, but it fits greatly. What i really don't dig, is the guitar melody after the choruses. A bit worn out. Never the less, 4.5 / 5

The Man Who Would Be King. I see that lyrics weren't written on haste, they mean something but i don't dig the concept behind it. Intro and pre-verse riffs are great, but the instrumental section is one of the weakest on the record. I really don't like the southern-style slide guitar section inside it, however it gets better a bit further in the song. IMHO, the weakest long song on the album. 3 / 5

When The Wild Wind Blows. Harris-penned last track, 11 minutes long, something we haven't had in a long time. In all those years, perhaps he thought that his own material isn't that good for a whole closing epic. Well, this one is. Very different from his usual format. It's 11 minutes long, yet it flows incredibly fast. Nice story behind the song. However, unlike other closer tracks he did in '80s (Hallowed Be Thy Name, To Tame A Land, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Alexander The Great), this song doesn't have any ass-kicking, killer part, like the fast part of HBTN, breakdown of TTAL, and instrumental sections of ROTAM and ATG. But it's a very, very good song 4.5 / 5

Zare said:
Am i allowed to write my short opinions on the whole record here?
If i missed the topic, transfer where appropriate.

Ok, so after a lot of anticipation and two teasers the thing leaked and i dl-it, and listened about 15 times since. First so say, i just love how two teasers basically revealed nothing about the whole album itself. The experience was really surprising and refreshing. Artwork is quite nice, the return of old logo, yes the cover art is CGI but the image is great. Sound wise - i'd like a bit more warmth on the guitars, a touch of chorus/delay, more attack on the drums, Bruce sometimes isn't that clear to undestand, but Harry's bass is very good, up front and leading the charge as we're used on classic Maiden. I can't say i'm fully satisfied with production, but i'm satisfied enough. Especially with dynamics, you can clearly hear the difference in picking power, etc. Definitely not dull.

Satellite 15. While reading the reviews i had a totally wrong impression of this song, until i heard it. It's powerful, good, atmospheric and unpredictable. The fact that they just pasted Adrian's demo onto the final record is astonishing. Not because it's Adrian, because it's Maiden...a band that was always a collective, that does things on 1970's old-school way. And it was a total win! However, it ain't all shiny, it's a bit too long, it could be a bit shorter, or with additional elements. 4 / 5

The Final Frontier. Nice rock song. Simple, effective lyrics, nice riff, nice melody, good solo, it's not demanding on the listener, yet it flows very good. But it doesn't have anything that would make it very good or excellent. In any case, above average Maiden. 3.5 / 5

El Dorado. Gallop returns, again a simple rockish song with good solos, live it's very good, looks like a lot of fun to play. But on the record, it's merely average. 3 / 5

At this point i'd like to mention that first three (or two) songs are interconnected nicely and they score better when you listen to them in order.

Mother Of Mercy. Killer intro. Very good lyrics. Another war song, i imagine future earth army killing some aliens in a debatable conflict. Ending is specially good, very, very heavy. Solo is not out of the ordinary, but the breakdown lick is refreshing and ingenious. 4 / 5

Coming Home. Apart from the beginning riff, which to me seems a bit out of the place, other is...very beautiful. Yes, you can clearly hear influence from Bruce's solo career, the lyrics are beautiful, the music goes down every bit with them. Bruce sings like a fucking god. But i really don't like the beginning riff, so 4.5 / 5

The Alchemist. I don't dig the lyrics. Good old school licks right at the beginning. Fast song, nothing special, plays a good role on the record overall. 3.5 / 5

Isle Of Avalon. Killer intro, reminescent of Seventh Son. Again, Bruce sings excellent, guitars literally talk to each other. When the power kicks in, it's just a bit too "happy". Instrumental section is great. 4.5 / 5

Starblind. There is not a second of this song that's not brilliant. Best track on the album. If Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is the musical and lyrical masterpiece of the golden era Maiden, this is it's equivalent of the current line-up. It even beats Paschendale. There, i've said it. It beats Paschendale. The atmosphere, the breakdowns, the solos, Gilmourish guitar licks, it takes you on the voyage, and when it finally peaks with that agressive riff, you're full of power, but it continues travelling with the synths in the background, finally slows down, and Adrian starts spilling his magic with that celestial slow guitar solo. The concept behind the lyrics is fascinating, it's very, very deep and relevant, which LC summed great in his post. 5 / 5

The Talisman. Very good story. I don't have an issue with Bruce's singing, and he sang this one excellent IMHO. Great riffage, one of the best vocal melodies / choruses they've had in years. Again great instrumental sections, i really like the slow intro, it may be reminsecent of The Legacy, but it fits greatly. What i really don't dig, is the guitar melody after the choruses. A bit worn out. Never the less, 4.5 / 5

The Man Who Would Be King. I see that lyrics weren't written on haste, they mean something but i don't dig the concept behind it. Intro and pre-verse riffs are great, but the instrumental section is one of the weakest on the record. I really don't like the southern-style slide guitar section inside it, however it gets better a bit further in the song. IMHO, the weakest long song on the album. 3 / 5

When The Wild Wind Blows. Harris-penned last track, 11 minutes long, something we haven't had in a long time. In all those years, perhaps he thought that his own material isn't that good for a whole closing epic. Well, this one is. Very different from his usual format. It's 11 minutes long, yet it flows incredibly fast. Nice story behind the song. However, unlike other closer tracks he did in '80s (Hallowed Be Thy Name, To Tame A Land, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Alexander The Great), this song doesn't have any ass-kicking, killer part, like the fast part of HBTN, breakdown of TTAL, and instrumental sections of ROTAM and ATG. But it's a very, very good song 4.5 / 5

Great review Zare...I like to read reviews like yours where is clear that you have listen the album a lot of times,so you have a straight opinion about this..I don't like persons who are making comments after one listen etc....Anyway just one point i disagree..you saying that WTWWB has not a kick ass part..well i thing the instrumental part in the middle of the part is awesome..i find that this martial rhythm fits maiden very well...but the strongest point in this track is that when it's over you don't feel like was 11 min long...A lot off changes and a bittersweet feeling at the end...

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Let me know if what's written here: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Maiden_fans ... opic=26804 is true.

That's one of the funnier complaints I've seen lately:

"Anyone else get theirs yet?

I can't believe how crap this thing is. A piece of paper stuck with glue onto the back of the tin...Why couldn't it be printed on like a steelbook or something?

Then the front window and the CD tray are made of very cheap and nasty 'packaging' plastic (ya know, the soft crap that you usually throw away).

I liked the idea of something different in my collection but they really went to town and made it as cheap as possible with this edition."

+

"Notice how it's not even stuck on straight."

Forostar said:
That's one of the funnier complaints I've seen lately:

"Anyone else get theirs yet?

I can't believe how crap this thing is. A piece of paper stuck with glue onto the back of the tin...Why couldn't it be printed on like a steelbook or something?

Then the front window and the CD tray are made of very cheap and nasty 'packaging' plastic (ya know, the soft crap that you usually throw away).

I liked the idea of something different in my collection but they really went to town and made it as cheap as possible with this edition."

+

"Notice how it's not even stuck on straight."

Great stuff.  I can understand if you got suckered into paying a ton more for the ME, but it was $3 more and I ordered along with a buddy's to get free shipping on Amazon.  I guess it's a good album if all you can complain about is the packaging!

Back