Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

The Man Who Would Be King is the only song that hasn't blown me away yet. That already makes it better than AMOLAD on a song-by-song basis. On AMOLAD neither Out of the Shadows nor Lord of Light really gets me excited. The Pilgrim isn't very good either, but I get the song. My least favourite on this album so far is Mother of Mercy, but that's because I haven't decided my thoughts on The Man Who Would Be King yet.

What I truly find interesting about this album is how I have had four different favourite songs on the album in a week! Originally it was Coming Home, and then WTWWB, and then The Talisman, but Starblind has blown them all away. In fact, it may crack the ever hard to hit top three in the Official LC Rankings™.

(I say it's hard to crack, but the last 2 albums have all hit the top 3 with something.)

I need to listen to Starblind and Paschendale next to each other. There is a discussion my mind needs to have. That scares me.

Isle of Avalon and Starblind are among the best songs Adrian has ever (co-)created.

Top 5 of all his material, I even like this stuff better than Paschendale.

Ah, forgot to tell you guys:
TFF was already available in my record-store on Wednesday 11 August. My wife was so nice to buy it on Thursday (never expected it to be sold on Wednesday already!), while I couldn't do it. But the salesman told her they sold it the day before.

Did you get a free beer coaster pack with it?

I'm actually getting to the point to where I'm getting temporarily burned out on the album. Of course I could never get burned out on Maiden! But I will soon be ready to start to listen to some other stuff again.

Don't you regret that? Maybe you shouldn't have heard it so soon?

That happened to me for El Dorado, and I've done it for random individual songs that I've been into in the past (Lord of the Flies, Powerslave, Wasted Years, Phantom...).  It takes some time to recover, then you can listen to it normally again. :)

Forostar said:
Don't you regret that? Maybe you shouldn't have heard it so soon?

How does that make a difference? if I listen to an album every day for a week straight, does it matter when the week started?

Eh yeah me too, but a whole album before its official worldwide release? Man, that's sad.

LordMaiden said:
How does that make a difference? if I listen to an album every day for a week straight, does it matter when the week started?
Exactly.

An album of your favourite band, the last one was 4 years ago? You gotta be kidding if that's normal.

Forostar said:
Eh yeah me too, but a whole album before its official worldwide release? Man, that's sad.
That's how it's been for me ever since albums started leaking. Hell, it used to be 2 weeks to over a month before when they leaked that early.

LooseCannon said:
...Starblind and Paschendale next to each other. There is a discussion my mind needs to have. That scares me.

Forostar said:
Top 5 of all his material, I even like this stuff better than Paschendale.

Hey you guys, relax! It's a fucking good album, but it's not wise to compare with previous stuff and especially not with Paschen-fuckin-dale. Not yet.
Enjoy the album, how many times did we make the same mistake in every-new-release ?? Personally more than 20 years:
'the best since', 'the best ever', 'better than'... It's a mist than confuses our mind this thing, don't let it spoil the pure pleasure you should get.  :)

After all, you are old timers, for fuck's sake   :D

One thing is for absolute certain. My favorite vocal performance of Aces High has not been topped. It's completely impossible to decide my favorite song instrumentally though.

Will-I-Am said:
After all, you are old timers, for fuck's sake   :D

These songs are heaven sent creations. New or not, they're very welcome. :)

Starblind is very, very poignant to me, 5. Much as Paschendale was. When I heard Paschendale for the first time, I knew that it was it. It was the best. No honeymoon has changed that. The sole reason Dance of Death exists is Paschendale, as far as I'm concerned.

Mr Postman should be delivering my copy of the Mission Edition in the morning, even though I've had the album for a week now I'm still extremely excited about this, not so much for the music but the whole package, i already love the music, every single track!

Starblind is absolutely a brilliant tune as pretty much everything in there. But it's not only about the honeymoon judging I was talking;
Comparing kills a part of a pleasure, this was my main concern for you guys!

*is like going honeymoon with your wife and instead of seizing the day, to consume your brain comparing her with your ex-girlfriends  ;)

That's the mistake I made with AMOLAD. When I saw people saying things like "best album since Seventh Son", I tried comparing it for the longest time. It was only when I stopped doing that, that I fully appreciated it. I'm not doing that at all with TFF and I'm absolutely LOVING it!
Another thing about TFF I'm noticing. The longer songs seem to have more vocals and shorter instrumental parts.

Best since, doesn't mean it has to be compared and checked if that's true. It's a feeling. :)

Songs should indeed be judged on their own, but to express admiration, one may like to compare with gems from the past. No worries.  :ok:

Back