Official Star Wars Thread

...and how long would it take to realize everyone hated Jar Jar upon release, and then do some rewrites on the Ep. 2 script? You’re still talking 4-6 months from the Ep. 1 release to the timeframe you’re proposing for Christopher Lee to enter the picture in negotiations. Totally plausible.
There was no episode 2 script until after Ep 1 was released. Lucas famously rushed out all three scripts just before production started. I wonder if that had any impact on the quality of the films...

I’m sorry, but just about every point in that first video is completely salient, and in fact makes more sense than what was presented at face value in the film. If it’s pure shittalk and joking, then it’s the best possible kind of joke, because it makes more sense than the superficial truth. The things they point to are totally in line with Lucas’s influences and they connect all the dots. It’s just that Jar Jar’s portrayal was too over the top for people to stomach.
It sounds like people thrashing around for any excuse to me. "I loved the original Star Wars, but Phantom Menace was pure dogshit, how can it have been secretly good so that I don't feel devalued for liking one but hating the other." Besides, every thing that they point to is actually far more easily explained by "He is a stupid cartoon rabbit designed to appeal to kids."

It sounds like people thrashing around for any excuse to me. "I loved the original Star Wars, but Phantom Menace was pure dogshit, how can it have been secretly good so that I don't feel devalued for liking one but hating the other."
Well, I’m no Star Wars fanboy, that’s for sure. I think Empire and the first 2/3 of Return Of The Jedi are good. I think Ep. 4 is pretty hacky and overrated. The prequels mostly suck, though the suckage decreases slightly with each film. The sequels were mostly flat retreads, with The Last Jedi bringing at least a few interesting surprises, along with some bad ideas. So I don’t really have any emotional investment in this — I just think the alternate explanation for Jar Jar makes more sense.

Besides, every thing that they point to is actually far more easily explained by "He is a stupid cartoon rabbit designed to appeal to kids."
That doesn’t explain Jar Jar physically switching sides when hanging off that balcony. It doesn’t explain him dodging blaster fire and magically shooting enemies in all directions with a downed enemy’s gun. It doesn’t explain why otherwise reasonable people keep including him in important things when he appears to be a bumbling idiot. It doesn’t explain why he ultimately helps Palpatine rise to power. On the other hand, his being a Sith would explain all of the above, and quite neatly at that. That’s all I’m saying.

All those things are explained by the fact that the movies were rushed with characters that weren’t well thought out or developed.

All those things are explained by the fact that the movies were rushed with characters that weren’t well thought out or developed.
"Lucas had a bad idea" is a far simpler explanation than "Lucas was playing 4D chess".

I thought that Rise of Skywalker was a shower of shit, but Mandalorian is wonderful. They should just ditch the movies and go for the TV shows instead.

Also, the prequels are better than the sequels and it's not even close.

I guess the prequels vs sequels argument matter on if you want one crazy man's utterly boring and unwatchable dream, or if you want to watch two directors have a bigger penis fight on the main screen.

Heh, heh, actually...

- my favourite episode is VI, closely followed by V and I. Yes, I. Always loved Phantom Menace, ever since I first saw it on the big screen.

- IMHO, every prequel is worse than the previous one, especially thanks to taking themselves waaaaay too seriously

- if I was to rewatch something IV-like, I'd possibly pick VII, just for the novelty and the fact it's more visually appealing (and hey, I like older movies). IV is very underbaked.

- I actually liked the fact Johnson tried to do something new with the series and also kinda made fun of the fans who took the crazy-ass colourful space opera too seriously - also, some of his visual ideas were stunning - the red soil/white salt of Crait might be one of the most visually striking moments in the entire saga. Yup, and Luke's final duel was cool

- hated all the retcons of IX and thought the plot was stupid, but I actually managed to turn off my brain in the theatre and actually enjoy the rollercoaster - which is probably how it's meant to be watched

- never got the hatred regarding Jar-Jar - sure, he can be annoying, but the tantrums everyone throws about him show that SW fandom in general is not a particularly healthy one - especially considering the harrasment of the actors etc.

- always liked Adam Driver and Kylo Ren. Didn't like Rey but liked Daisy Ridley.

- from what I've seen, I don't find Baby Yoda that cute or irresistible and he would probably annoy me. Yes, I do have a baby and I did find Baby Groot adorable. However, I am inclined to believe Mandalorian might actually be some quality TV and I'm willing to watch it some time, just not right now.

Honest, I'm not being just mindlessly contrarian for the heck of it.

I guess the prequels vs sequels argument matter on if you want one crazy man's utterly boring and unwatchable dream, or if you want to watch two directors have a bigger penis fight on the main screen.

Three chronically boring, annoying movies with incomprehensible plots VS three well-crafted and utterly vapid, shallow popcorn flicks.

I’d much rather watch the latter, but I stand with the former in principle.

- I actually liked the fact Johnson tried to do something new with the series and also kinda made fun of the fans who took the crazy-ass colourful space opera too seriously - also, some of his visual ideas were stunning - the red soil/white salt of Crait might be one of the most visually striking moments in the entire saga. Yup, and Luke's final duel was cool

- hated all the retcons of IX and thought the plot was stupid, but I actually managed to turn off my brain in the theatre and actually enjoy the rollercoaster - which is probably how it's meant to be watched

Hear, hear! I absolutely agree with the above. :)

Back