Official Star Wars Thread

I’d much rather watch the latter, but I stand with the former in principle.
This is the conundrum for me. Even in their worst moments, the Sequels are parsecs beyond the Prequels. But the prequels do represent a creator's singular vision, compared to the corporate, written by a board of directors style of the sequels. It's like, would I rather eat at McDonalds or the family owned restaurant that I'm pretty sure is infested with roaches?

Luckily I can always choose neither.

So, I just binged on The Mandalorian.

It was fun. But with all the praise it got, I did expect more. In terms of plot complexity, predictability, depth and performances, it really felt more like a children's film. I mean, it perfectly captures the tone of the original Star Wars, I'm just thinking it's simplicity isn't as charming.

Baby Yoda was cute though.

So, I just binged on The Mandalorian.

It was fun. But with all the praise it got, I did expect more. In terms of plot complexity, predictability, depth and performances, it really felt more like a children's film. I mean, it perfectly captures the tone of the original Star Wars, I'm just thinking it's simplicity isn't as charming.

Baby Yoda was cute though.

Soooo, bad children's film or good children's film? Like Rats of NIHM and Wall-E or Monsters University and Boss Baby?

Soooo, bad children's film or good children's film? Like Rats of NIHM and Wall-E or Monsters University and Boss Baby?

I haven't seen any of these films, so I can't tell you. Just a children's film, with simple plots that aren't hard to follow and little thematic depth.

Well, there's only so much plot you can squeeze into a ~25 minute episode before it becomes completely baffling

Which, incidentally, is why new Clone Wars has its stories spread across 4 episodes each. I also feel it's worth mentioning that Series 7 is finally living up to the hype in this last story)

Last edited:
I'v managed to finish Episode IX and instead of thoughtfull review, I'm going t o make a long-ass list of everything I didn't like in the movie (in no particual order):

- The plot just keeps on propeling headlesly forward, pace is just unnormaly fast (at least first part hour or so.)

- Palpatine.

- Everything is overpowered - examples: Ray lifted stone with Force in previous one, now she's moving airships! ; First order had dozen Star Destroyers, now they have hundreds! (and each one can destroy a planet) ; Palpatin could make a person kneel with his lightining-fingers thingy, now he can take down a whole armada of airships from the sky.

- Everytime they moved to another act, it was always based on something from original trilogy (Lando, Death Star, Luke's X-wing etc.)

- The fact that everybody from previously 3 movies died, but not actually

- That CGI scene with young Luke and Leia

- Leia's death, which had same level of absurditiy as her flying around space in previous movie

- That Palpatine speech where he goes on and on that is Ray kills him, she will become ultimate Sith harvesting all the souls/history of the Siths. Did she do exactly that?

- Return of Klyo Ren’s “Darth Vader fu**** a duck” mask

- That Burning Man/Glastonbury festival in space

- Finn’s love interest. Wasn’t it Rose in previous one? And now he wants to say something to Ray (which doesn’t really get a conclusion) and later they really spent time on a scene where he meets another e-Stormtroper which gave a notion something would/could happen there?

- Nothing to do with the movie actually, but the title (Rise of the Skywalker) could be more fitting for previous movie, while this one would make sense to be called Last Jedi.

- That whole conclave of Siths who just stood there. What was their job except chanting?

- Thing with the Kylo / Ren speaking through space is kind of clumsy. They could speak planets apart in previous one, feel each other (although that makes that scene where Rey was on Star Destroyer a little foggy) and it even came to that they can teleport objects to one another. Yet they don’t see each other surroundings unless something moved? I couldn’t quite grasp the concept there.

- Why did Star Destroyers started to fall out of the sky in every place in the galaxy at the end of the movie?

- Didn’t know this until I finished watching episode VIII, but J.J. directing VII and IX, while other guy directed VIII seemed like each one of them tried to shi* on what the other person did making the whole trilogy clumsily disjointed.

- Rey’s identity theft

- Force healing played too big of a role, you could see they’ve put it early in the movie so you guess it would progress later on. Yet, reviving was just too much, especially because it was done by Kylo who hadn’t used it before in the movie.

- Awkward reveal of a spy on Death Destroyer.

- Palpatine, again. Not a single line to explain his past 30 years?!

- Preposition that we should already know the “the new” characters (Ren, Finn, Kylo and Poe) although they somehow managed to make them one-dimensional and there was no actual substance to build relationships between them.

- Each attempt at humour fell flat.

- Kylo and Rey’s lightsaber fights happened so often throughout the trilogy, by the end of this movie I think it was 6th or 7th already and since there were no new elements, each new one was more unmemorable than the previous.

I definitely agree with the above about most points raised, but here's a couple of notes/alternate views/different opinions:

- Leia's death, which had same level of absurditiy as her flying around space in previous movie

I agree about it that scene suffering from the fact that it had to be more or less thought through along the making process of the film, but then again, the whole film is more or less of a relentless mess when it comes to pace and subtlety, so yeah. However, I think that the infamous "space flying" scene is no that absurd. I mean, yes, it looks a bit funny, but the idea behind it isn't really absurd at all. Yeah, Leia survies a bit too long out there maybe, but in the context of these films I'd say that the scene isn't really as off as people often claim it to be. Then again, I'm one of The Last Jedi Fan Squad.

- Finn’s love interest. Wasn’t it Rose in previous one? And now he wants to say something to Ray (which doesn’t really get a conclusion) and later they really spent time on a scene where he meets another e-Stormtroper which gave a notion something would/could happen there?

If I'm not terribly mistaken, it was later confirmed that Finn was trying to tell Rey that he is force sensitive too. However, I agree that the movie didn't play that card too cleverly, or indicate towards it that much anyway.

EDIT: Ah, here's one mention of it: https://www.cnet.com/news/we-just-l...-tell-rey-in-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

Happy Star Wars Day.

source.gif

So, I watched Episode IX.

It was okay. I was prepared for the worst after TLJ, and it wasn't the worst. It fittingly wraps up the Sequel Trilogy in that it was better than TLJ and worse than TFA; and thus the Sequel Trilogy wraps up the saga fittingly, in that it was better than the Prequels and worse than the Original Trilogy. Guess it brought balance to the force this way.

Yeah, I get it, people like the prequels now. I still don't. Deal with it.

I didn't hate TLJ. I just felt it was unremarkable. It didn't deserve the nerd meltdown it got, but... I really think they should have come up with a general story outline when they started the trilogy and stuck with it. It's quite surprising that a major company that makes big bucks with storytelling didn't do that.

BTW, I also think that nerd rage as an internet concept is jumping the shark here. I was looking for some YouTube reviews of the film and most of what I'm finding are 1+ hour reviews already announcing how much they hate it in the title. Why would I want to watch that?

I wasn't aware of the nerd meltdown. Unremarkable is a decent way to describe it, or mildly unsatisfying.

Back