Official Star Wars Thread

I’m out of touch with anything Star Wars that isn’t the film series. Can I just pick up The Mandalorian from scratch or should I know something beforehand? There’s a bunch of SW cartoons. Should I watch those? I don’t really want to. Is any of the SW stuff worth watching at all?
I think the cartoons would add something to viewing of the show. I have not watched the cartoons and usually just read summaries of Mandalorian after I watch the episode and they fill in the blanks. I think it is an incredibly enjoyable show without having watched nothing but the movies first and read reviews after you watch the shows to fill in the blanks from the cartoons (which are usually backstories that are interesting, but I do not think essential)

I highly recommend skipping the cartoons altogether and going straight for Mandolorian. If you enjoy the show so much that you need more, the cartoons could be a nice addition. The show does a good enough job of bringing in extracurricular elements while still making sense to the general audiences. And, unlike the cartoons, you’re getting movie quality acting, story telling, and special effects.

unlike the cartoons, you’re getting movie quality acting, story telling, and special effects.
I'll have you know that the Siege of Mandalore (among other excellent Clone Wars arcs) is every bit as good as any live-action Star Wars

I love Mandalorian (haven’t watched the finale yet), but there has definitely been a ton of very questionable acting and dialogue this season. It’s par for the course with Star Wars. Still light years better than most of the prequels and sequels, but professional wrestlers and former athletes simply don’t have the chops of people like Adam Driver.

I've never seen someone make Katee Sackhoff look more like an Oscar winner...and I love Katee Sackhoff, but PLEASE stop casting wrestlers, Mando Creative Team!

BRING ON THE BANHAMMER!
I agree that few (if any) of the actors are exactly next in line to perform The Bard or anything like that ... but for the most part, they are all in more action roles and really in the history of movies/TV ... those are not exactly your best actors. I think everyone is pretty passable and honestly, there are not many out there that look like Carano and the look is pretty important. I would not believe Meryl Streep (at the right age) in that role, she could certainly act it, but would not look right for the character.

I generally agree with you over the quality of acting, but given it is a TV show and the required looks for these characters ... I think it is fine. It would be a problem if they were the main character in the show.

I agree that few (if any) of the actors are exactly next in line to perform The Bard or anything like that ... but for the most part, they are all in more action roles and really in the history of movies/TV ... those are not exactly your best actors. I think everyone is pretty passable and honestly, there are not many out there that look like Carano and the look is pretty important. I would not believe Meryl Streep (at the right age) in that role, she could certainly act it, but would not look right for the character.

I generally agree with you over the quality of acting, but given it is a TV show and the required looks for these characters ... I think it is fine. It would be a problem if they were the main character in the show.
All good points for sure, but it was definitely more noticeable this season with some additionally clunky dialogue.

It's unfortunate that the best actor on the show (Pedro Pascal) never really shows his face.

All good points for sure, but it was definitely more noticeable this season with some additionally clunky dialogue.

It's unfortunate that the best actor on the show (Pedro Pascal) never really shows his face.
Yeah .. but I think that is the role the best actor needs to play ... he manages to display emotion and mood through his voice and gestures. Which I am guessing is pretty hard to do ... I hope they do not go too overboard with him taking the helmet off. Also wondering what will happen when he meets the armoror again and she asks the "have you taken your helmet off question"

Finished watching Mandalorian S02 and I loved it.

I love the slow pace, the settings, the planets, small references, convenient action scenes, not-in-your-face acting, 30 min episode format, the one heist per episode formula etc.
It really is enjoyable as a TV show and I wish there were more shows like this which try to avoid forced twist plots, memorable villains and unpredictable storylines.

That being said, I didn't like the ending. CGI Luke was laughable, unnecessary and the theme announcing hom was totally out of the place.

But, I do look forward to the Bobba Fett series and young Obi Wan show if they keep the same style as Mandalorian.

OK, not an anime fan, but in the space of two minutes my excitement for this series went from less-than-zero to off the scale. Looks like they're throwing absolutely everything into this and I'm all for it.

I was listening to a sports podcast and they said something that I've heard many times before and STILL bothers me. They were comparing sports nerds that take sports too seriously to Star Wars nerds that take the movies too seriously. And what they said was, "People forget they are children's products, they were made for children."

This bothers me on two levels. The first is I disagree that the original trilogy was originally intended for children. When I was a kid my least favorite movie was Empire Strikes Back BECAUSE it was the darkest of the three. I didn't appreciate the nuance and themes. In fact, Return of the Jedi is usually rated the worst of the three because it leaned in too much into the merchandising for kids with the Ewoks and the movie itself had a lot more Saturday Morning Cartoon tom foolery. So that's where I stand with that, the original trilogy wasn't intended for kids at first, but by Jedi they realized kids were watching.

The second reason I dislike this statement is that it assumes that it's ok to to make shit products for kids. That show SUCKED, "oh well, it's for kids, so who cares." Um... I do. Kids aren't stupid, they deserve quality shows just like adults. And it has happened, but even today, when something sucks, their easy out is, "Well, it's for kids, so it's fine." UGH.

That's one of my problems with the prequel trilogy. It was too complex a political drama for small kids to grasp, but also too stupid for an adult who knows a few things about politics or history. It went from Jar Jar stepping in poopie to senate debates. What was it even supposed to be?

It's one of my problems, not my only one, mind.

Back