Official Star Wars Thread

Here's an interesting theory about Rey's identity:
adj7b1d_700b.jpg

I'm reading that the delay, besides being an obvious business decision, has to do with rewriting the script in order to make the role of new main characters bigger (due to receiving general acclaim, which 'surprised' Lucasfilm). What, were they planning to kill them off at the beginning of the film...? :p Of course it should be all about the characters they have introduced! OK, seriously, I get it - probably that's a very good move (I mean positive script changes, not the huge delay). I'm just so bummed out right now :p The fact that EVIII was coming as soon as in May 2017 was the best thing ever and now it's gone...

Also, the new release date is 10 days before Avatar 2, what the hell...

New release date sucks. May 2017 didn't seem all that far off. I wonder if it's because they want to take another swing at beating Titanic/Avatar. I don't think any SW movie is going to match TFA's records regardless, but the timing of the announcement makes it seem like it could be a factor.

On the bright side, it's still better than the traditional 3 years.

It was kind of predictable after TFA smashed the box office, but I really hoped they would stick to their guns and go for earlier release. The worst thing for fans is that May was totally doable... I have a hard time getting over this news, seriously ;) Let's hope they're going to use the extra time very well.

Now this probably means we're not going to get anything VIII-related this year. Maybe the title... The marketing will probably start when Rogue One wraps up completely. A May release meant that the campaigns would have to overlap. Well, good for them - it won't be confusing for people.

Nooooooooooo!!!

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/25591/

Episode VIII is pushed back 7 months! New release date is December 15, 2017 (previously May 26).... That was my biggest fear after TFA made that much money in December... This sucks! :(

EDIT: Officially confirmed: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-to-open-december-15-2017 FUCK.
Marvel should be happy about that. May 2017 is when Guardians of the Galaxy II releases. More box office for them now!

Disney owns both companies anyway, so I don't know if there is much competition between their branches. Although I'm not sure how their finances work...

There is also a little independent film called Avatar II scheduled to release in December 2017. Probably will get bumped again (like it does every year).

Also in May 2017 Warner will release Lego Batman (spin off from the Lego Movie)

The delay sucks, but if it makes for a better movie, well worth it. Still better than the 3 years between movies that they used to do (not to mention Rogue One in the middle)

Between each film has been between 2 & 30 years passing in the story (10 years between I & II, 3 years between II & III, 20 years between III & IV, etc). However, with a cliffhanger like VII had, do you think that will be the case again or, for once, will VIII start off much closer in time to the end of VII?

I'm wondering too. I'd like it to be immediately after (and maybe jump forward later) but it's unlikely for Star Wars. Would the opening crawl summarise TFA then? ;) One-year gap is acceptable - for Rey to be somewhat trained at that point and for Finn to recover. More would be too much IMO. I don't know how are they going to handle Rey's conversation with Luke... After one year or so Luke has probably told her all the revealing stuff, but we want to hear it as well... :p

After one year or so Luke has probably told her all the revealing stuff, but we want to hear it as well.
Has he? Luke is a Jedi master. They are notably mysterious.

As long as he doesn't make Rey go into a tree...

30+ years is the longest time period between episodes. Obviously a lot happened, only some of which we were made aware of during TFA. Perhaps, down the road, after the current trilogy is complete, one of the upcoming Anthology films might be about that 30 years or even specifically Kylo Ren's origin or...even better, Supreme Commander Snoke.

Back