Official Star Trek Thread

Cool, did not read the spoiler part .. planning on watching this tonight. One question, did you watch the "Children of Mars" short and if so, did it add anything to the story of the 1st episode?
You get a tiny bit of background that they also add in the opening of the first episode. Not necessary to watch.

You get a tiny bit of background that they also add in the opening of the first episode. Not necessary to watch.
Okay cool .. I watched it .. was curious how much it tied in. I thought it was one of the weaker shorts (I did not watch the animated ones yet).

Okay cool .. I watched it .. was curious how much it tied in. I thought it was one of the weaker shorts (I did not watch the animated ones yet).
I didn't watch it until after, I found it didn't add much, just a little perspective setting up what happened before the show.

I have watched the first episode of Star Trek: Picard. [...] Patrick Stewart has brought the gravitas and force of morality back to the character. He is a scarred and wounded man who is returning to his old self, and it's awesome to watch.
Agreed, this was definitely better than I expected. And it’s already been pre-greenlit for a second season, which is nice.

Is anybody watching (has anybody watched) Star Trek: Picard?
I'm 7 episodes in and... that thing doesn't resemblance to Star Trek, let alone Picard. I won't go into spoilers but everything is so off I don't have a feeling I'm watching a series set into Star Trek universe. Now, if they plastered different names on the characters and planets, the series would've been OK-ish, I guess.
At least I think I'm gonna watch it until the end, out of loyalty probably. Couple of weeks ago I turned on Star Wars IX, made it half way, turned it off and went to sleep. Haven't watched the rest since and probably never will...

It is better than the abomination called Discovery but still not a good Star Trek.

Picard was a reasonably good idea with mixed execution. Sadly, Stewart’s acting was one of the uneven parts of the show, but I cut the guy some slack because he’s well past retirement age.

Did it feel like TNG? No. If you want that, watch The Orville. Were the cameos gratuitous? Some yes, some no. Were there abandoned plot threads and unfortunate leaps of logic? Yes. Was there jarringly out of place, over-the-top hand-to-hand combat in order to hold the attention of non-Trekkers and people with ADD? Yes. But were there also meaty parts, and strong moments that touched on what Trek is all about? Yes.

Remember that TNG was kind of terrible in its first two seasons, but had enough nuggets to keep you coming back until it got better. I’m hoping Picard is the same way. They’ve apparently plotted out three potential seasons of the show, so we’ll see what happens.

And I really hope that machine god thing in the final episode isn’t a terrible tie-in to Discovery...

Picard was a reasonably good idea with mixed execution. Sadly, Stewart’s acting was one of the uneven parts of the show, but I cut the guy some slack because he’s well past retirement age.

Did it feel like TNG? No. If you want that, watch The Orville. Were the cameos gratuitous? Some yes, some no. Were there abandoned plot threads and unfortunate leaps of logic? Yes. Was there jarringly out of place, over-the-top hand-to-hand combat in order to hold the attention of non-Trekkers and people with ADD? Yes. But were there also meaty parts, and strong moments that touched on what Trek is all about? Yes.

Remember that TNG was kind of terrible in its first two seasons, but had enough nuggets to keep you coming back until it got better. I’m hoping Picard is the same way. They’ve apparently plotted out three potential seasons of the show, so we’ll see what happens.

And I really hope that machine god thing in the final episode isn’t a terrible tie-in to Discovery...

Well, that is the point really, I haven't stumbled upon any "meaty ST" parts to make me want to continue watching (I did watched the season final the other day.).
Main reason for diminishing my enthusiasm is the format of the series, but I guess they can't do anything about that really.
You said first two seasons were terrible and to some extent, that is partially true. Back then, most of episode were story for itself. When they were terrible, they were terrible. But when they weren't - they were awesome. Wheter was it plot twist, ethical question or the main idea of the episode itself, it made me overlook anything bad in it.
In Picard, there is one main story really and it's been chewed over many times in every ST series. Those couple of side plots didn't interest me at all and seemed out of the place.
Patrick Steward did a good job, considering his age. What didn't help is the fact that he alone had to carry the plot in the begining which made him do some moves which weren't in Picards character at all.
I don't see where this show could possible go on, but if it does, I hope they shake things up a bit (which they probably won't because Patrick Steward said he'll do the show only if it's completely different than TNG and I guess this Picard was it.)

Oh, and I'm not watching anything of Seth MacFarlen's until he comits his ass to one thing and one thing only.

Cool. Pike has been the best thing about Discovery to date. Hopefully they’ll find the right tone for the new show.

Agree .. from what I read, it sounds like it might be similar to TOS (planet of the week type show)

I liked Pike in Discovery and I also like the show too, from a Sci-Fi point of view. I'm not a Star Trek nerd so I didn't get triggered by it not feeling like Star Trek, although I agree it doesn't feel like Star Trek.

I'm also finally watching DS9 for the first time - now nearing the end of season 4! It's making me think about how I never understood all the hate for Discovery and Picard... sure, they feel different than TOS and TNG and had spotty quality in places, but so does DS9 (especially early on) and that series is almost as lauded as TNG by hardcore fans these days.

I'm also finally watching DS9 for the first time - now nearing the end of season 4! It's making me think about how I never understood all the hate for Discovery and Picard... sure, they feel different than TOS and TNG and had spotty quality in places, but so does DS9 (especially early on) and that series is almost as lauded as TNG by hardcore fans these days.
DS9 is my favorite of the Trek shows ...and you are not even at the best parts yet.

Back