Official Hockey discussion thread

Kane surpassed Sidney Crosby's 25-game streak, set in 2010-11, for the longest in the league since 1992-93. The Blackhawks' right wing has 16 goals and 24 assists during his run, and a point in 29 of Chicago's 31 games.

Well, the longest modern point streak is nothing to sneer at. It will be awhile before someone goes that long again.

Funny, I consider 'modern hockey" as starting in 1976 (when I first started watching it) .. says the ancient mariner :)

Ha ... okay, let's go with that. But Kane's streak was pretty amazing in today's hockey. If he is not the best player in the league, he is certainly in the top 5. Love watching him play, especially on the line he is on this year .. him Panarin and Anisimov play so well together, the skill level is just off the charts.

If he is not the best player in the league, he is certainly in the top 5.
He is definitely a great modern player. This year he is doing excellent, and certainly if we gave out awards today, he'd get a buttload of them.

all I know is he is about the only player I see going into the offensive zone 1 on 3 and think "we have a chance to score or at least get a decent shot on goal"

all I know is he is about the only player I see going into the offensive zone 1 on 3 and think "we have a chance to score or at least get a decent shot on goal"
Ovechkin used to be like that, not anymore. Max Pacioretty, Steven Stamkos are the only other finishers that I put in that category.

I'll agree with those guys, the talent level in the NHL in general is at an all time high. Some of the things these guys do is just incredible. Used to be you would have one skilled line, one semi-skilled line, and 2 lines of thugs. Now it seems most teams have 2 or 3 skilled lines (and of course there are many more teams now)

I'll agree with those guys, the talent level in the NHL in general is at an all time high. Some of the things these guys do is just incredible. Used to be you would have one skilled line, one semi-skilled line, and 2 lines of thugs. Now it seems most teams have 2 or 3 skilled lines (and of course there are many more teams now)
It feels like that, anyway. Part of that is that we draw from so many more countries, and part of that is we are getting more and more Americans in the league - a huge pool of skilled athletes that used to play other sports, but now more of them are playing hockey. Another big part is the emphasis on conditioning in the league, compared to even the 1980s. No more boozing and eating pizza for these guys.

I have to say, I really like the 3 on 3 OT rule. Better than a shootout by a mile. Watching all the skill the Hawks and Pitt ran out last night in OT, that was a fun 3 minutes.

3 on 3 has been a great success for the NHL.

Finland topped Russia at the World Juniors yesterday in what can only be described as a hell of a game, with a beautiful OT goal for the hosts to seal the deal.

10 in a row for the Hawks, Kane with his first regular season hat trick (had 2 in the playoffs) .. he also assisted on the other goal for a 4 point night

Nice story

CapyoqzUAAAJrUB.jpg

Hockey is the greatest.

Phaneuf traded to the Sens from the Leafs. All the Sens fans at work here are walking around like they were just mortally wounded.

Huge move for the Hawks

Ladd (plus 2 prospects) to the Hawks, Marko Dano, a 1st rounder in 2016, and if the Hawks win the cup, a 3rd in 2018. Jets retain 36% of Ladd's remaining salary.

Q wasn't a Dano fan, otherwise he would be up when Hossa got hurt

Back