Official Hockey discussion thread

Ladd has already won one cup with Chicago, why not try for another. He is a really great player, a heart and soul guy. Hawks paid a lot for him, but they want to repeat badly - and I can't blame them.

No, they never really replaced Saad .. despite trying everyone on that line, shit I think I skated a shift with Toews and Hossa :) Still think they will try something to swing another lower end D-man .. but they are looking good for another Cup at this point

Going to the Hawks-Stars game tonight. Should be a good game with best record in the conference on the line and Hossa back into the lineup tonight

How was it?

Bad game, Hawks looked slow and made some horrible mistakes on D. They have been playing very uneven the last month or so. Last 3 years they have pretty much limped into the playoffs, then turned it on then. In part to some serious re-arrangement of some lines and D pairings. I keep telling myself, "don't worry, they are built to play well in the playoffs" .. but, I keep worrying anyway :)

Watching the Hawks-Wild game ... 3 minutes into the game and no announcers (on NBCSN), just the sound from the ice and the arena PA. Not a bad way to watch a game :)

Well they fixed it, took until about 9 minutes into the game

Last edited:
Watching the Hawks-Wild game ... 3 minutes into the game and no announcers (on NBCSN), just the sound from the ice and the arena PA. Not a bad way to watch a game :)

Well they fixed it, took until about 9 minutes into the game
Yeah I was watching that too. It was pretty nice!

Kane with a hat trick .. still 5:44 left in the 2nd ... all three of them just really pretty goals and/or assists.

Kane .. first American to win the scoring title. Unreal. I have some serious concerns about the Hawks in the playoffs, they have just looked off for the past month and a half. Hopefully they can kick it into another gear now that the playoffs are rolling. Them vs Blues is a pretty damn good first round matchup

Playoffs begin today! I'm excited to see if the Hawks will be able to repeat this year. They're going to have a very tough first round match-up with St. Louis. I can honestly see it going 7 games.

In the east, it will be a surprise if Washington doesn't win the conference. It looks like this might finally be their year.

It's also interesting to note that no Canadian team made the playoffs. The last time that happened was 1970.

Playoffs begin today! I'm excited to see if the Hawks will be able to repeat this year. They're going to have a very tough first round match-up with St. Louis. I can honestly see it going 7 games.
When they met in the first round in 2014, St Louis won the two first games, then Chicago won the next 4, so it will propably be a tight battle.

Anyway, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon for the Florida Panthers, since the Calgary Flames didn't make it this year.
It will be 20 years next month since the Panthers upset the Penguins in the Eastern Conference Finals 1996, imagine the reaction from people if they would make it that far again!

GO CATS GO!:D

2 years ago they finished with 66 points, this year they won their division with 103 points - that's a quick turnaround.
Obviously they have something interesting going on, and the mix of veteran stars like Jaromir Jagr and Roberto Luongo with young talent seem to work.

Last edited:
I find my feelings (outside my Sabres, should they ever return to the dance) tend to shift as the playoffs unfold.
But my opening cheers are for Ovi and the Caps.

The Brian Elliott show shut down the Hawks last night. King Henrik joins MA Fleury on the bench. Tampa, a team built almost exactly like early 2000s Detroit, beat the remnants of the same team.

I kinda wanna see the Panthers go deep. Go Jagr!

Kings down 3-1 too - looks like there will be a new Western Conference Champion
other than the Hawks and Kings, for the first time since the Vancouver Canucks went to the finals in 2011.

I am about to hop on a plane to Hong Kong, so I'll have to track the game on the nhl app tonight

The Blues are playing really well .. Elliott is playing out of his mind and they cannot stop Tarasenko.

The Hawks have come back from 3-1 a few times in recent years, but it is looking bad this time around. I really dislike the playoff format .. no matter what, you were going to have one of the top teams in the league out in the first round. I liked the conference seeding better.

Re: Shaw, that last game was a microcosm of his career. He does a lot of really good things on the ice and plays very well at times and plays a variety of roles from 4th line checker, to 2nd line center, to 1st line winger. However, he seems to offset those good things by doing incredibly stupid things. Like taking a foolish penalty down by 1 with 2:06 to go in the game .. eliminating most any chance of tying it up. As for his comments, I do hope that does not define him though ... he does a lot of really nice things in the community.

In any case, he is a free agent after this year and it is doubtful the Hawks can resign him as we prepare for yet another cap purge. I honestly think if you look at all the ex-Hawks since 2010 and put them on a single team, they would be a favorite to go deep in the playoffs. Goalie might be the weak spot (Emery and Niemi) .. beyond that it would be a pretty damn good team

Back