Official Hockey discussion thread

Sad to see the Hawks exit so early again, they clearly need to get better on the back end and a more physical presence on offense. Some sad new, I read that Hossa is considering retirement due to his injury from the cheap shot ... Torres still got off too easy. I hope Hossa is okay, class guy and a hell of a player.

I don't Think Torres got off easy. BERTUZZI got off easy. I don't know how he was allowed back after nearly killing that player. A year off and a court date? Fuck that, if that other player has lifelong injuries and can no longer play, he should have not been allowed to come back. While I am sorry for what happened to him I don't think Hossa is a class guy at all. 3 teams in 3 years? solely to chase the cup? Can I blame him? Yes... yes I can. Just because you are a skilled player doesn't mean you deserve a cup. All players do, skilled or otherwise.
Bruins got kicked out... These playoffs are turning the hockey world on its head! So unpredictable, pretty cool I must admit.

Loving the unpredictably and how close the first round was (in the east anyways). Washington and the Rangers should be another tight one, I think that Philly is going to make quick work of Jersey. Looking at the west I have no idea who to cheer for or bet on.

The Torres hit was insanely vicious. 25 games wasn't enough. If Hossa retires...argh, I don't even know.

Meh, to each their own. This a great time to promote this film though, seen it twice! reminescent of Slap Shot :D

Also, what is up with LA?! Freakin' giant killers! I know it's only one game, but wow.

I can't wait to buy it to complete my Holy Trinity of Hockey movies with Slapshot, Miracle and Goon :)

So, call me crazy, but LA are really looking hot right now to win it all. Rangers are a bit streaky so far and while I root for them to beat the Devils I'm not sure they've got what it takes to beat LA.

If the Rangers beat the Devils, I think they'll make it interesting. I don't know that the Devils can. It should be one hell of a final. I'm not writing Phoenix off yet, but I have a feeling LA will come through. The team is phenomenal on paper, and it seems they're finally starting to score the way they should.

My money is on L.A to win it all. As Natalie said, NY is pulling a Boston by taking it to game 7 after game 7 while L.A is just dismantling everybody. It will be a great final that's for sure.

Also, how 'bout them Ruskis? 10-0 through at the Worlds.... damn impressive though I did notice a lack of NHL talent Playoffs aside from the other squads.

HOLY SHIZNIT! L.A up 3-0!! I'm praying for a sweep, historic run in more ways then one, they DESTROYED every opponent!

AND big news for Le Canadiens, Michel Therrien is their new coach! Seeing what he did with the Pens prior to Bylsma I'm excited. What do you think LC?

Yeah I'm excited too, especially considering yesterday's game where they absolutely took Jersey to pieces in 2 periods. I hope they can do it (they certainly look the part) and it would be all the sweeter if they can do it in only 4 games. Go LA. :)

I'm still not convinced the Kings are a great team, but man are they ever playing that way.
I like their new management team, but I dont think the Therrien hire was a good one for Montreal.

I'm still not convinced the Kings are a great team, but man are they ever playing that way.

Quick is a great goalie, and Kopitar is a legit star. Tried to go to the game last night, but the ticket I bought on StubHub was a fake. I'm getting my money back, but still a major bummer.

Congratulations to the LA Kings, who have won a Stanley Cup in pure style. The Devils made them sweat for it, but only because I think they were a young team. Dean Lombardi has built a hell of a contender, if you ask me. Top name talent in every position, on every line, and in the net. What an organization.

Now if only someone could convince LA to care.

Now if only someone could convince LA to care.

You misunderstand us. We care, but only because the Kings made it to the championship. LA is a passionate, but fair-weather and fickle, sports town. If a team stinks, there is too much else to do rather than pay attention to that team, so people don't really care. Once a team appears to be good, LA rallies behind it. (Exhibit A: 2011 Los Angeles Dodgers vs. 2012 Los Angeles Dodgers; Exhibit B: 2010-11 Los Angeles Clippers vs. 2011-12 Los Angeles Clippers.) The Kings are no different, with one exception: Kings fans are more loyal than most other LA sports fans, because hockey has never been that trendy here anyway (until the last few weeks), but the fans have still filled the arena. The other perception about LA -- that fans arrive after the start of the game and leave early to beat traffic -- is 100% true, except in the playoffs. We take our playoff games seriously.

I for one am an exemplar of everything I just wrote. I managed to make it to the game last night, and it was cool seeing the Cup, though it was a fairly tension-free game after the first period. No, I'm not a season ticket holder, I'm a complete bandwagon jumper like most other Angelenos. But I still got excited, and Staples Center was loud during the decisive early 5-minute power play, and in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I suppose I meant the LA media, but as you have stated, that's really emblematic of the LA people in general. I'm glad you managed to see the game, even though it was a blowout. Steve Bernier was actually once arrested for a very similar hit when he was in the QMJHL, so I was completely unsurprised to see him head-hunting. It robbed the game of its sport.

The current Kings have the ability to keep winning. Hopefully more people become hockey fans in LA.

Yes, many a congratulations to the LA Kings. What a superb playoff run. And I'm glad to see Quick get the recognition he deserved, he really carried them throughout the season and the playoffs.

Seeing your team win the cup at home.
Happy for you Cornfed, fairweather fans or no.

Interesting off-season so far. J. Staal refused a 10 year deal with Pittsburgh only to sign the exact same offer with Carolina to be able to play with his brother. Jagr jumped to the west coast signing with the Stars being the second 40+ player to be signed along with Ryan Whitney. The biggest "winners" so far have been the Wild signing the supposed top forward AND defenseman in Parise and Ryan Suter.

Back