Official Hockey discussion thread

Glad to see the Wild bagging those two. Good for the NHL that a "small market" team can hit that kind of home run.
Besides, Minnesota is hockey country and the Wild have been irrelevant for too long.

Agreed. Hell, thanks to being a "small market" they were able to afford the cap hit as they were getting pretty cheap deals for a while. Hopefully this brings in fans, sponsorships, etc.

Suter wanted to go home, and Parise wanted to play with Suter. It seemed like the Wild thing was done months ago, and it's why the Wild were very quiet this year so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it was worked out in detail and the entire consideration process was very...half-hearted. Habs signed Brandon Prust which I am just fine with, been quiet other than locking up Carey for 6 years.

I find it strange how players and agents can talk about their negotiations, but if owners did that it would be considered "collusion".

Holy Shit ! Philly just signed Weber to an offer sheet.
Things could get interesting.

Preds can't afford that but they have to match.
They can get way more than four low firsts for Weber if they take him to the highest bidder, even with that contract.

I don't know. Apparently every team decided that the asking price was too high, then Philly went...lolz fuck you. Besides, have you seen the structure on the contract? I think the NHL tosses it out. It's bullshit.

you mean it being front loaded and the bonuses? They might. Thought there have been more ridiculous contracts signed and being front loaded. No point in taking a big cap hit if they get permanently injured after age 35.

My understanding is if they are paid 9m a year the first 5 years, but end up only getting paid say... 3 towards the end (because of it being front loaded), then that would be their cap hit... 3 rather than 9m. Correct? That is why nobody wanted to sign Jagr for 3 years.

Yep, which is why a lot of these super contracts have bullshit terms added in at the end for $1 million a year, to lower the cap hit.

Well, there is a new CBA being discussed, they hope to reach terms by 9/15... let's see if there are any changes to that or anything else.

Doesn't look like we will have hockey any time soon. All of the preseason was canceled. What I want to know is how the league was able to operate from 1917 to 1994 without a work stoppage NOT due to illness (the Spanish flu) or war and now, since 1994 it is in its 3rd "lockout." It's retarded how they can't come to an agreement. Greedy bastards, all of them, owners AND players. Most of the discussions are around revenue, fucking give it to charity and play some damn hockey already!

I'm hearing a lot of negative stuff today, but I really think this offer is good starting point for a deal, unless the players actually think they were going to get a bigger piece of a much bigger pie than the previous CBA was designed to carve.

Back