Official Hockey discussion thread

Great. I decided to get into hockey this season and it turns out there is no season. Fuck.

But you can watch NHLers in the German elite league this year, like Christian Ehrhoff.

Ugh, I the only thing I hate more than German sports is Germans playing American sports.

I watched Los Angeles and Buffalo on TV when they played a regular season game in Mannheim last year.
Crowd seemed to be having a great time and it looked like a fun event.

Yeah, it's just that when I watch sports, I do it for escapism only, and part of what what I want to escape from is all that's German.

GB: I work for the owners but I work for the game. What I do transcends what I do for the owners. I do work for the game and I try to do the best I can for the game. You'll find in the course of labour disputes, there's always a lot of rhetoric. Most of it is just noise. Most of it is misinformed. There's propaganda. It's just a fact of life that you live with. By the way, I love the players. Nobody should think for a moment that I don't. If I didn't I wouldn't do this job. I couldn't do this job. I believe in the players. I don't believe in what's going on right now. It's part of the business of the game. The least attractive part of the game.

It's official... Bettman is.... TRON!

Hawks are looking good so far, Hossa has played really well the first two games ... the lockout probably helped him quite a bit, had the season started on schedule, there is no way he would have been ready

I'm really excited for this season. Given it's only 48 games every single game counts. The short season may, oddly, benefit NJ since Brodeur is now older and won't have to play so much. It may also help Jagr and Salanne. I also like that it will be conference/division play only. The whole "rivalry" thing is really making the games feel like playoff games and it's not even two weeks in!

Yep, I have no lingering resentment over the lockout at all.
I'm just excited to see hockey back, and I agree with the "every game means so much" argument.o

We're a sixth of the way through the season already, scary, eh?

Here's my thoughts.

1. How about them Habs? Did anyone expect them to be in a playoff position at this point? I sure didn't. TSN projected they would finish 12th in the East, so we'll see if they collapse. They look damn good so far. Markov being healthy, I think, has really helped the team. He's been one of the best defensemen this year in terms of points, +/-, and TOI.

As an interesting aside, Carey Price was the only goaltender a HNIC panel unanimously decided should be named to Canada's 2014 Sochi team. Personally, I think Price is the best Canadian goaltender out there, and I hope he gets a chance to shine again on the international stage.

2. Thomas Vanek has been incredible. He's a streaky player, so who knows where it'll go, but he is showing that $7 million/year form for once.

3. The youth movement in Edmonton has them in the playoff hunt, while LA has fallen behind the pack. Most embarassingly, however, Calgary is in last place in the east. This doesn't surprise me - Calgary is still trying to make it with an odds-and-ends team. They have a lot of valuable pieces that just don't have a good core. It's time to blow the team up and move on.

As much as I really hate to admit it, the Blackhawks are doing an outstanding job.

I'm happy that the Blues are in the playoff hunt (5th, maybe right now?)

We're a sixth of the way through the season already, scary, eh?

Here's my thoughts.

As an interesting aside, Carey Price was the only goaltender a HNIC panel unanimously decided should be named to Canada's 2014 Sochi team. Personally, I think Price is the best Canadian goaltender out there, and I hope he gets a chance to shine again on the international stage.

Agreed. Brodeur is too old, Luongo is too much hype, no delivery with a weak as shit glove side. Price will do perfectly.

3. The youth movement in Edmonton has them in the playoff hunt, while LA has fallen behind the pack. Most embarassingly, however, Calgary is in last place in the east. This doesn't surprise me - Calgary is still trying to make it with an odds-and-ends team. They have a lot of valuable pieces that just don't have a good core. It's time to blow the team up and move on.
[/quote]

Shit, what is it? Three? Four 1st overall picks? It was about time they started paying off.

Personally I like how my Bruins are doing. I'm surprised how badly the Rangers are doing and I'm pretty sure you meant Calgary was last in the WEST. They do need to blow it up and move on. As well as the Bruins are doing the east is still wide open. The west seems more locked up between the Hawks, Canucks and Sharks.

Win or lose, as long as it's a good game, I'm happy. It's all about the cup ;). I was talking about that with my GF two nights ago... it's been 20 years since a Canadian team lifted the cup :(. The closest was Calgary in '04 and Edmonton in '06. Oh, how could I forget Vancouver's epic fail in '11 hehe. :p I think Ottawa came close in the early 2000's, right? Didn't they lose against Detroit?

Right! Gees, I need to brush up on my hockey stats and history. Am I the only one taking perverse pleasure in watching Washington implode? :p

Chicago throttled Phoenix last night (it took all of 2 mins into the game for a fight with Torres) ... 9-0-2 .. including 7-0-2 on the road, they have a ton of home games coming up. The only thing I worry about is that they might be peaking too soon, but with the short season, they could wrap up a playoff spot pretty quickly.

Hawks look really good.
In other news, my Sabres play defence like a going out of business sale, but Thomas Vanek has been amazing.

Back