Official Hockey discussion thread

They lost $56 million last year.  And that's with $14 million in revenue sharing from the league.  So they actually lost $70 million last year.

Fuck me running, that's insane.

Good news.  Keep it coming.

NHL says no to Hamilton, but Quebec?

October 11, 2009
The Canadian Press

QUEBEC CITY, Que. - The return of the Quebec Nordiques to the NHL may be one step closer to reality.

Quebec City mayor Regis Labeaume confirmed Saturday that he met with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman along with former Nordiques owner Marcel Aubut.

The mayor said the talks between him, Aubut and Bettman in New York on Friday were "fruitful."

"It was very welcoming, very profitable, very worthwhile," Labeaume told the media.

"But we'll get back to you in a few days - we still have work to do."

Several Quebec City media outlets are also reporting that a new arena for the city will be announced next week.

Bettman said earlier this month he would consider Quebec City as a possible home to an NHL team if it went through with plans to build a cutting-edge arena and if a team were up for sale.

The Nordiques were sold in 1995 and moved to Denver as the Colorado Avalanche.

The Denver franchise would have to sell the name rights for the Nordiques, though.  Same as if a franchise ended up in Winnipeg.  It'd have to be the Jets.

They don't need to use the name Nordiques.  If push comes to shove, I'm sure the fans and owner will be happy with a new name as long as there is a team in Quebec City.

I understand.  There's history.  It all depends on how much the Avalanche club owner would ask. 

Also building a new arena won't be cheap.  I can't wait to hear the details of this in the future.

It's a good thing to spend money on, both locally and with the government handing some extra cash in as well.

Genghis Khan said:
Also building a new arena won't be cheap.  I can't wait to hear the details of this in the future.

LooseCannon said:
It's a good thing to spend money on, both locally and with the government handing some extra cash in as well.

The answer did not take long to appear.

One good thing about the court case of Balsillie vs NHL is that much of the inner workings of the NHL, especiallly the rules on team relocation and financial problems, have come to the public attention.  Even in this suffering economy Bettman would not be considering what the paper claims (and I hope this is not some crazy mistake  :)), if the NHL Board of Governors could have hidden these inner workings.  The following article needs no further introduction.  Enjoy!

Hamilton holds onto NHL dream

Plans to meet with Bettman

October 12, 2009
Kevin McGran
Torstar News Service

Billionaire Jim Balsillie may no longer be pursuing an NHL team, but that's not going to stop the city of Hamilton.

Balsillie's lease with the city that gives him exclusive rights to an NHL team at Copps Coliseum ends this week. Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger says that once that takes effect, the city will meet with commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league know about its continued interest in attracting a second team to southern Ontario.

"We have certainly talked over the last few months and we still have an agreement with Mr. Balsillie that's due to expire," Eisenberger said. "Once that happens, we'll be taking the next steps to do more work on what the next iteration for NHL hockey in Hamilton is."

Talk of the NHL putting another team in Canada heated up over the weekend, with Quebec officials having returned from a meeting with Bettman. Quebec is expecting an announcement on funding for a new $250 million, 18,000-seat arena for which 70 luxury suites have been sold and $9 million in season-seat deposits already raised.

Bettman has been particularly frank the past few weeks in talking about returning hockey to Quebec, Winnipeg and Hamilton. Up to 10 teams might be for sale or candidates for relocation. It's in the league's interest to let the governing bodies of current NHL cities know there is an appetite for hockey elsewhere as the league tries to get better deals for its owners.

In Long Island, for example, a local council is holding up funding for a new building for the New York Islanders, much to the frustration of owner Charles Wang.

The league still hasn't decided what it's going to do about the Phoenix Coyotes, deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. Balsillie backed away after a bankruptcy court judge rejected his $242.5 million (U.S.) offer for the club because of league rights over relocation.

It comes down to this simple fact: The Sun Belt strategy has failed.  And there are at least three Canadian cities that could support a NHL team.  Halifax would be a better spot for Phoenix than Phoenix.

True. 

Here is another interpretation with all this talk between city officials and the League.  Basically, it argues that the NHL gains by keeping Canadian hopes alive as this strengthens the bargaining chip with current teams in their current cities.

I'd hate to admit it, but it is a well-reasoned arguement.  If NHL really wants or needs a team in Canada, it will pursue it.  Canadian city mayors should not have to do this job. 

Bettman has already said that all local avenues have to be exhausted before relocation is an option.  The man cannot admit that his grand scheme is a failure.  That's what it's all about.  So long as current NHL owners (the top 10) don't complain about supporting teams such as the Coyotes in the desert, there won't be much of an impetus to move a team to a more viable market.

Campbell's Cuts

I know he's right about the past.  But I just find myself wondering...what does the NHL have against making a fuckton of money?  Because a team in Hamilton would do that.  A team in VdQ with a new arena would be loaded.  A team in Halifax would sure do better than the Thrashers do now.

In Bettman's mind a long-term success of NHL clings on the franchise success in USA.  How long he can pursue this while losing millions, is a key question.  Maybe he's hoping he can ride the economic downturn and see the losing teams turn in a profit in a year or two from now.  I hope otherwise.

But I think we are forgetting the fundamental fact that we are talking about a world class wanker in Gary Bettman. He has been successfuly fucking up the NHL for the past 16 years, trying desperatley to win over casual fans who really don't give a shit about hockey, at the expense of true, die hard hockey fans. Until the owners and the board of govenors come to their senses and replace him with someone who is at first in their heart a hockey person, we will see franchises continue to fail in locations that have a population that won't support a NHL team. Even if they win that area a Stanley Cup Championship( I am talking about you Tampa Bay).

Tampa Bay is a prime example of why you can't have hockey in the market.  They have legitimate superstars who would be gignormous in a Canadian city (Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos) and the people of Tampa Bay couldn't give a flying fuck.  Unlike Orlando, which sells a lot of its tickets to people visiting from the North (go listen to them play against Montreal, Toronto, New York, or Boston at home, at least half the fans are snowbirds who came down to Florida to see their team), Tampa Bay doesn't quite have the same tourist market.

I agree with you guys.  Bettman is a douche. 

I just finished watching the Detroit vs Buffalo game final score was 2:6.  It was entertaining especially the second period when Buffalo dominated with four goals.  The third goal by Thomas Vanek was great as it went between two pairs of legs.  Great time.  :)

Vanek has great hands.  How about Dany Heatley?  He's been fantastic in San Jose so far.  He could be league MVP this year.

LooseCannon said:
Vanek has great hands.  How about Dany Heatley?  He's been fantastic in San Jose so far.  He could be league MVP this year.

We'll see.  I haven't paid attention to the Sharks but I hear he is hot.

So...Craig Anderson.  Where the hell did he come from? He's playing up a fuckin' storm for Colorado.  Seems like each year there's a big goaltending surprise, and he looks like he could be it.

Let's remember that Colorado is pure garbage this year.

Back