Official Hockey discussion thread

LooseCannon said:
It's just my hockey sense with Kopitar.  LA has been terrible but that doesn't mean that Kopitar can't hit his potential.  He's had a really good line to work with - Dustin Brown and Alex Frolov.  He hasn't been able to make it happen yet, and I don't know if he's going to get much better.  I'll gladly eat my words if he takes the jump to the next level.

Is it too early for "I told you so"?

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
Its alright, I grew up with my dad and two cousins being huge leafs fans so I have a soft spot for them. They are by no means my team (that would be the Caps, although Ovechkin is starting to piss me off slightly) so you can bash your heart away. Got a question for you guys. Have you been to a NHL game, if so who'd you see play and when?

I got to see the Blues play a few years back-- that was the most fun!!

Derek Smalls said:
Wasted is kicking our asses. I've got Patrice Burgeron and Gagne on IR. Damn.

Pure luck, I don't expect it to last. 

I've seen the Rangers play more times than I can count. I've seen them from the 79 cup run with Espo, JD, Greschner and Ronnie Duguay, all the way up to the present team. I've also saw the Islanders in their early 80's heyday on the Island, plus growing up in Connecticut, I saw the Whalers play at The Mall with Gordie Howe. Nowadays I catch more Flyer's games these days, especially when the Boys in Blue come to town.

I was watching this game live and this has to be one of the scariest things I've ever seen. My prayers are with Ben Fanelli and his family. I cant decide if the hit was intended to hurt him or if it was clean. Ben made the bad decision of turning his back towards the on coming player but Liambas did take a few hard strides that may suggest charging. I hope he makes a full and healthy recovery. Here's the video of the hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPj-kCp1rGI

Kitchener Rangers' defenceman Ben Fanelli is listed in critical but stable condition in Hamilton General hospital after being injured by a devastating hit during Friday night's OHL game between the Rangers and Erie Otters.

The 16-year old Fanelli was rushed to Grand River Hospital in Kitchener then airlifted to Hamilton General after being driven into the endboards by Erie's Michael Liambas half way through the second period.

The Oakville, Ontario native's head hit the glass while his helmet flew into the air before Fanelli hit the ice hard.  Blood pooled on the ice from cuts above Fanelli's eyebrow and face. The game was delayed for 40 minutes as Fanelli was attended to and placed in an ambulance.

Fanelli's parents were among the 6,000 spectators at the Kitchener Auditorium.  Fanelli's mother reportedly fainted and had to be revived following the incident.

Kitchener Rangers Chief Operating Officer Steve Bienkowski stated that Fanelli was conscious when the ambulance was taking him to the hospital. He was diagnosed with skull and facial fractures including a broken orbital bone.

"Ben's parents and family experienced something that we all wish would never happen", said Bienkowski in a statement on Saturday. "Their focus and concern for their son needs to be respected. I can't stress enough the need to respect their privacy and that all media inquires and announcements will be made through the Rangers organization. Our immediate focus will be to assist the Fanelli family and our players as we all deal with Ben's injuries."

Liambas, who was ejected from the game and given a match penalty for boarding, was reportedly very shaken up by the incident.
http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=296735

That's scary.  Fanelli did lower his head at the last second, and there does not seem to be a case for charging.  Keep us updated if you will.

Funny I did not hear this last night while watching the Montreal vs Toronto game. 

I'm Glad that Fanelli is getting better, but this is a horrible call and explanation by the OHL. Respect for the opponent? last time I was told to respect an opposing player was in peewee soccer. There weren't any dirty plays or scuffles during the game to indicate bad blood. He's an enforcer and he went to make a big hit to change the momentum of the game. I've never herd of some one going to fast in to a hit or coming from to far away. The play was bad from the start, they took way to long to move the puck and Liambas moved in to make a play that any enforcer would.

November 04, 2009
By Jeff Hicks, Record staff

KITCHENER – Someone special said hello to Kitchener Rangers coach Steve Spott for the first time in five days on Wednesday.

His name is Ben Fanelli.

“He said ‘Hi’ to me,” said Spott after visiting the 16-year-old Rangers player in intensive care at Hamilton General Hospital.

Meanwhile, the Ontario Hockey League said goodbye to Mike Liambas.

The OHL suspended the last-year Erie Otters player for the rest of the season and playoffs over a hit that sent the rookie Fanelli into hospital with a fractured skull and facial injuries.

A bodycheck from a fast-moving Liambas spun Oakville’s Fanelli, who was moving the puck, into the boards in midgame last Friday. Fanelli’s helmet flew off as his head slammed into a Zamboni entrance glass support at the Aud.

Five days later, with Fanelli in serious but stable condition, OHL commissioner Dave Branch banished Liambas, 20, from the league.

Dirty hit or clean hit, whatever your opinion, Branch ruled Liambas should have had more respect for his opponent.

“I wouldn’t necessarily argue that it was technically an illegal hit,” he said.

“I wouldn’t characterize it as a check from behind or necessarily a check to the head. What we observed clearly was a considerable distance travelled and the speed at which the player (Liambas) was travelling. That’s most concerning.”

The severity of the injury demanded the tough ruling.

“Arguably, if you don’t have such a substantial injury, you may not have any discipline at all,” Branch said.

“No question, that was a very big part of it.”

http://news.therecord.com/Sports/article/624480

So he hit the guy whilst on trolley tracks.  What's the problem?  That's hockey.  Are you going to go through the great hitters of history, guys like Bobby Clarke and John Leclair and Scott Stevens (and now Dion Phaneuf) and tell them that because someone might get hurt that they shouldn't play the game they way they do?  No.

People get hurt in hockey.  Every hockey player knows this from the moment they hit the 12-13 year old level and hitting comes into the game.  That's how it is.  Sometimes it's a high stick.  Sometimes it's a puck.  Sometimes you fall funny, and sometimes a guy hits you.  Sometimes the guy hits you dirty, and that's wrong.  But sometimes he hits you clean.  And that's the way it goes.  But every player knows that when they step on the ice there's a chance something bad will happen.  And they accept it.  They know they might come out physically maimed, every game - every practice, even.  They need to stop pussifying the sport and let players PLAY.

It was a clean hit.  It was a good hit.  These guys respect each other - very few players want to hurt someone, because they know that the next time someone is gunning for them.  But they have a job.  Get the 2 pts.

That's why when you play, you not only have to play with your head up, but it also needs to be on a swivel. First thing they teach in Peewee hockey, and to reinforce that, they used to have the older players really deck the first year kids during scrimage. Not to hurt or haze the kids, but to teach them to have awareness on the ice at all times. I don't think they do that anymore because the overprotective nature of today's players would make it impossible.

Had this same discussion with a few friends of mine yesterday, and it comes down to the fact that the first thing you learn is how to hit and take a hit.  Trolley tracks get people hurt.

I'm sure Don Cherry would agree with you guys.  I just hope Liambas' career does not suffer after his suspension is through.

Wow, no posts in a week and a half. How about that Marian Gaborik. Just wish the Rangers would all play as good as him. I also think Tavares is having a pretty good start to his NHL career. Islanders might be a future cntender if they can build around him.

Gabby has been great for the Rangers, and Tavares's ball is still starting to get rolling. He has great things in his future.  Is he the next Sidney Crosby? No.  But he could be almost as great.

How about that Carey Price!!

LMAO....Goalie Fail. How about that Danny Briere getting suspended 2 games for hitting Scott Hannan. Reminded me of the Dale Hunter hit on Pierre Turgeon back in the early 90's. Would'nt have pegged Briere for taking that kind of cheap shot on someone.

Christ, Ovechkin won't stay off my injured list, and he can't be traded off.

I missed the names, but caught a defenseman (?) taking a frustrated swing and smoking his own goalie in the head.  Smooth.

Keith Ballard smacked up Tomas Vokoun.

They FINALLY suspended Ovechkin for being a greasy cockbite.

no, I get that-- i was just being an asshole.  I meant getting suspended for being a greasy cocksucker.  bad joke.  :innocent:

Back