Official Hockey discussion thread

He'd have a shorter career for one. Lindros anyone? I seriously wonder how much Ovechkin will be able to take at the pace he is going. Power Forwards don't have the longest of careers or as long as they could otherwise have since the average career is around 6-8 seasons. Elite players go into the teens.

Lindros had a habit of crossing the offensive blueline with his head down and looking at the puck.  Yeah, I think Ovie is going to feel these early years later on when he is a little over 30.

Loose-- I am signed up!  now it's time for 'game on'!

GK, dunno what to say.  I always thot he was a good player, but I am a big Leafs hater, also.

Season started early this year. Ovie looked like he was in mid season form. But i am amazed at all the great players Montreal picked up. Mara, Gill and Cammalleri are great additions.

Montreal won too, Gionta had a goal and Camm had 2 assists.  Good for them, hopefully Gomez gets going too.  I'd like to see all three chip in 80 pts this year.

Last night the league made history, as all 30 teams played in a single day.  I say as long as Habs keeping winning and Leafs keep losing, like last night, I'm happy.  Leafs did try to mount a comeback in the 3rd period, but failed.  They scored 3 goals last period and still lost 6:4.

I have to admit, I was gloating about the Leafs losing.  Too bad Varmalov shit the bed.

I am optimistic about the young blueliners for the Rangers. They played a heck of a game last night. The first couple of minutes were a mess but they got settled after Torts called the time out. Is it just me or does New York have the least amount of Canadian born players on the team?

I better go look.

Anaheim: 10 Canadians, 7 Americans, 3 Finns, 2 Swiss, 1 Russian
Atlanta: 9 Canadians, 4 Americans, 3 Russians, 2 Czechs, 2 Finns, 2 Swedes, 1 German, 1 Slovak, 1 Kazahk
Boston: 13 Canadians, 4 Americans, 1 Czech, 1 Finn, 1 German, 1 Slovak
Buffalo: 10 Americans, 9 Canadians, 1 Austrian, 1 Finn, 1 German, 1 Slovak, 1 Swede
Calgary: 15 Canadians, 3 Americans, 2 Finns, 2 Swedes
Carolina: 10 Canadians, 8 Americans, 3 Finns, 1 Russian, 1 Swede
Chicago: 16 Canadians, 3 Americans, 2 Slovaks, 1 Czech, 1 Finn, 1 French, 1 Swede
Colorado: 13 Canadians, 6 Americans, 2 Czechs, 2 Slovaks, 1 Belarussian
Columbus: 14 Canadians, 4 Swedes, 3 Czechs, 2 Russians, 2 Americans
Dallas: 15 Canadians, 4 Swedes, 3 Americans, 1 Finn, 1 Latvian
Detroit: 11 Canadians, 7 Swedes, 5 Americans, 2 Finns, 1 Czech, 1 Russian
Edmonton: 17 Canadians, 2 Czechs, 2 Russians, 2 Americans, 1 Slovak, 1 Swede
Florida: 9 Canadians, 5 Czechs, 4 Americans, 2 Russians, 1 Finn, 1 German
Los Angeles: 9 Americans, 9 Canadians, 1 Latvian, 1 Russian, 1 Slovak, 1 Slovenian, 1 Swede
Minnesota: 15 Canadians, 3 Czechs, 3 Finns, 1 Swede, 1 Americans
Montreal: 17 Canadians, 5 Americans, 3 Czechs, 1 Belarussian, 1 Russian, 1 Slovak, 1 Swede
Nashville: 15 Canadians, 3 Americans, 2 Finns, 2 Germans, 1 Czech, 1 Swede
New Jersey: 12 Canadians, 7 Americans, 2 Swedes, 1 Czech, 1 Finn, 1 Lithuanian
NY Islanders: 14 Canadians, 10 Americans, 1 Czech, 1 Danes, 1 Finn, 1 Swiss
NY Rangers: 7 Americans, 7 Canadians, 3 Czechs, 2 Russian, 1 Slovak, 1 Swede
Ottawa: 13 Canadians, 2 Czechs, 2 Swedes, 2 Americans, 1 Dane, 1 Finn
Philadelphia: 17 Canadians, 3 Americans, 2 Finns, 1 Norwegian
Phoenix: 12 Canadians, 5 Czechs, 3 Americans, 2 Finns, 2 Russians, 1 Dane
Pittsburgh: 13 Canadians, 8 Americans, 2 Americans, 1 Czech, 1 Ukrainian
San Jose: 16 Canadians, 3 Americans, 1 German, 1 Russian, 1 Swede
St. Louis: 12 Canadians, 9 Americans, 2 Swedes, 1 Czech
Tampa Bay: 14 Canadians, 6 Americans, 2 Swedes, 1 Czech, 1 Finn, 1 Slovak
Toronto: 11 Canadians, 5 Americans, 3 Swedes, 2 Finns, 1 Belorussian, 1 Czech, 1 Russian, 1 Ukrainian
Vancouver: 14 Canadians, 4 Swedes, 2 Americans, 1 Dane, 1 Finns, 1 German, 1 Russian, 1 Slovak
Washington: 12 Canadians, 6 Americans, 3 Russians, 2 Swedes, 1 Czech, 1 Slovak

I will read that in a second LC.  I know the club has lost US $389 milliion from 2004-2009, and some analysts say that they're expected to lose as much as US $10 million per month during this season.

This article writes that the first Coyotes' home game is a WhiteOut.  Despite the high tournout, the club must be losing money as they're giving away stuff for free.  Key points:

...with all fans in attendance receiving a white T-shirt and white pom-poms.

Moss said he's not at all surprised to see the home opener sold out. Part of that has been making tickets affordable -- lower-bowl seats were priced at $25, upper-bowl seats at $15.

We're really going to be paddling back from not having a selling season because there was so much uncertainly for months and months.

What's gone on here in terms of attendance is more indicative of how the team has underperformed on the ice the last couple years, and that's common to what happens to any marketplace in any sport when the team doesn't win.

But that (sellout for Blue Jackets) shows people are coming here to see the Coyotes."

This is one hockey team I'll keep my eye on.  If the Coyotes keep playing well, they just may keep selling a lot.  But will the fans want to come if the ticket prices rise to meet a more typical NHL price?  I have my doubts.  Once fans get something for cheap, they're not going to wish to pay the real price.  Just look at the music industry as an example.

Back