Official Hockey discussion thread

Onhell said:
LOL you were way too nice!

Gotta say I told all yalls! GO PENS! WOOHOO! I celebrated till 4AM and still made it into work at 9 hahahahaha

Fuck you Hossa! Fuck you Conklin! :p
Yes, fuck those carpetbagging, non believing motherfuckers!!!

On another note, all I have to say is that the maturity level of Sidney Crosby has grown by leaps and bounds. I know that I have been critical of him, especialy last season in the playoffs. He is now The Real Deal. He quit trying to work the officials and focused on what He has to Do. It paralells another Great's learning curve, that of none other than the Great One himself. During the 83 finals, the Islanders, Clark Gillies especially, worked him over physically. He complained about what should have been called. The next year, in the 84 finals, in a rematch from the previous year, Gretzky focused on what he had to do, not what the officials were not calling. Very similar. I will not flame Mr. Crosby in this thread again, for trying to work the officials. I think a big turning point in the series was at the end of game 2 when Malkin wanted to go with Zetterberg. I remember Malkin got pounded by Upshall in the Philidelphia series last year, and I believe it intimidated him the rest of the playoffs. Glad to see him make the adjustment to the NHL playoffs and he deserved to be awarded the Conn Smythe.

Ovie swept the awards, big surprise there. I'm glad for Thomas though, his "joke" said it all, from struggling to make a roster to winning the Vezina... wow. Boston had a great season and it was reflected in their awards. So can the next season start already? :) OH! The draft! Dun dun dun!

I believe it will be difficult to find any takers on Dany Heatley. He has 3 years left at $8 million and a 4th at $6 million. With the cap expected to fall in the next two seasons, it is going to be a bitch to get any team to accept that kind of cap hit for the next 4 years. If Heatley was a more multi-faceted player, then there would be more takers.

Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, and Brian Leetch will enter the hall of fame next year.

Let me check hockeybuzz.com.

The Blues have 46 mil committed for next year.  Given the likelyhood of the cap not changing, they'd need to move someone back to Ottawa in the trade.  Possibly Alex Steen, or even Andy McDonald.

Scott Gomez has been traded to the Habs for Christopher Higgins. Tom Pyatt and Mike Busto were also traded by the Rangers to Montreal for Ryan McDoagh and Pavel Valentenko. I don't know if this is a good deal because Higgins only played 57 games last year because he was banged up. I think it was done more to get rid of some cap space. I think it is a good thing for Montreal. Who knows for the Rangers.

On another note, the Flyers signed both Ray Emery and Chris Pronger. Wow, a mean team just got alot meaner. But I don't think that Pronger is going to get any leaway playing on the Flyers because the has been targeted by Colin Campbell. Pronger is going to have to keep his flippers tight to the body, otherwise he's going to get alot more headshots called against him. As for Emery, well my feelings were pretty well expressed last year. I think it is a huge mistake signing this prima donna. He is a cancer in the dressing room, does'nt respect his team by being habitualy late or missing entire practices and has embarrassed his team before with his roadrage incident. He is talented, but he has an attitude problem of the nth degree, and being the ultimate team sport, you cannot have a winning team with that kind of guy in the mix. Wow, I guess I really did just scorch him in this post, hopefully he learned a thing or two in his time away from the league.

Not gonna lie to you, last night I was all yay over the Gomez trade, but he's making 7.3 million for a 60-70 pt season.  Ugh.  Higs might get good, so you guys may get a 50+ point player for half the price you were paying for Gomez.  I hear Sather's really interested in D-Heats as well.

Whoever lands Heatly is one lucky GM. Pronger in Philly, beefing up against the Pens? LOL, signing Emry was a HUGE mistake. Biron is good enough to get them a cup, they need better D and signing Pronger was a good solution.

Heatley is becoming a prima donna.  I'm not sure he's worth it, he has a huge cap hit - 7.5 mil.  7.5 MIL for 40 goals?  It's a rough question.

Such a shame Heatley is going down that road.....seeing how 6 years ago he was involved in a very tragic accident that not only could have ended his career, but taken his life as well. I kind of figured that Slats was moving Gomez to clear some cap space to help get a scorer on the wing for Drury. Drury is a huge playoff and big game performer, but he needs to have the right guys to compliment him. Not too sure if Heatley is the right guy.

Oh by the way Happy Canada Day, LC!!

Drury is Captain Clutch, I'd love to see him play with Heatley.  Or Hossa.  Or Gaborik.  Or anyone.

PS, I am hoping Marty Havlat gets a good deal somewhere.  He's hurt a lot but he's fantastic when he's fit.

Hey thanks mate.

PS NEWS: Mattius Ohlund signs in Tampa!
Hossa to Chicago,62 mil over 12 years!

Wow, Chicago is going to be a force to be reckoned with for quite a long time. Brashear signed with the Rangers Don't know the terms, plus Hockey Buzz.com is reporting Mariam Gaborik is going to the Rangers. I am very psyched if that is the case.

Gaborik to Rangers is official, there's a winger for Drury for you.

Montreal has Gomez, Cammalleri, and Gionta.  Should be an interesting team.

Gaborik and Havlat are great players, but they've never been 100% in a single season that I can remember. Shame they are so fragile, because they could carry teams pretty far if healthy.

Rex re-ups in Beantown.  I love the fact that Recchi is still coming back for more.  He'll score 60 pts again I bet.  Not bad for a 43 year old.
In a new aside, Olympics fever is starting.  The USA and Canada have named their Olympic Camp rosters.

USA

Goalies: Tim Thomas (Boston), Ryan Miller (Buffalo), Jonathan Quick (LA)

Defensemen: Tom Gilbert (Edmonton), Tim Gleason (Carolina), Ron Hainsey (Atlanta), Erik Johnson (St Louis), Jack Johnson (LA), Mike Komisarek (Toronto), Paul Martin (NJ), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh), Brian Rafalski (Detroit), Rob Scuderi (UFA), Ryan Suter (Nashville), Ryan Whitney (Anaheim)

Forwards: David Backes (St Louis), David Booth (Florida), Dustin Brown (LA), Dustin Byfuglien (Chicago), Ryan Callahan (NYR), Chris Drury (NYR), Scott Gomez (Montreal), Patrick Kane (Chicago), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver), Phil Kessel (Boston), Jamie Langenbrunner (NJ), Ryan Malone (Tampa), Mike Modano (Dallas), Kyle Okposo (NYI), TJ Oshie (St Louis), Zach Parise (NJ), Joe Pavelski (SJ), Bobby Ryan (Anaheim), Paul Stastny (Colorado)

Canada

Goalies: Martin Brodeur (New Jersey), Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh), Roberto Luongo (Vancouver), Steve Mason (Columbus), Cam Ward (Carolina)

Defensemen: Francois Beauchemin (UFA), Jay Bouwmeester (Calgary), Dan Boyle (SJ), Brent Burns (Minnesota), Drew Doughty (LA), Mike Green (Washington), Dan Hamhuis (Nashville), Duncan Keith (Chicago), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim), Dion Phaneuf (Calgary), Chris Pronger (Philly), Robyn Regehr (Calgary), Stephane Robidas (Dallas), Brent Seabrook (Chicago), Marc Staal (NYR), Shea Weber (Nashville)

Forwards: Jeff Carter (Philly), Dan Cleary (Detroit), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh), Shane Doan (Phoenix), Simon Gagne (Philly), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim), Dany Heatley (Ottawa....for now), Jarome Iginla (Calgary), Vincent Lecavalier (Tampa), Milan Lucic (Boston), Patrick Marleau (SJ), Andy McDonald (St Louis), Brenden Morrow (Dallas), Rick Nash (Columbus), Corey Perry (Anaheim), Mike Richards (Philly), Derek Roy (Buffalo), Joe Sakic (Colorado), Patrick Sharp (Chicago), Ryan Smyth (Colorado), Martin St. Louis (Tampa), Eric Staal (Carolina), Jordan Staal (Pittsburgh), Joe Thornton (SJ), Jonathan Toews (Chicago)

My question: who'd be on your teams, using the camp rosters as a starting point?

Back