Official Hockey discussion thread

All teams are Canadian teams, so I don't worry about it. Other than the "Canadian cup drought" conversation gets annoying.

All teams are Canadian teams, so I don't worry about it. Other than the "Canadian cup drought" conversation gets annoying.
All teams have Canadian, players... yes. But I think it is important for team based in Canada to reach the final and hopefully win it one of these days, because aside from Toronto, I could be mistaken, the rest are considered "small market," something people criticize Bettman for purposefully hindering. Eeeeh, Vancouver might not fit "small market" either.

For one, I don't care for any allegation of Bettman rigging cups in one direction or another. I remember when Chicago won it's three cups many people said they were Bettman's "darling team," etc. I think it's just fans being butt hurt. But a Canada based team finally winning is good for the sport as a whole.

Montreal has a captive audience of millions in Quebec, it does just fine financially. Right now in Canada only the Jets are struggling. Look, from a business perspective I agree that a Canadian win is good for business, because shoring up Canada is great. But Canadians shouldn't *care* from a nationalism perspective. That time is international competition. We can get worked up when the Olympics shows up in a few years and Canada gets to send an ungodly superteam to Milan.

I don’t like or dislike either team in the SCFs (although I feel a certain debt of gratitude to the Cats for knocking out the Rangers) but I honestly believe this is a brilliant matchup that has the potential to be one for the ages.

I dropped off after the Avs embarrassed themselves against the Stars. In the ECF I was rooting for the Rangers, so meh. Would love to see Edmonton manage a comeback in this series though.

There's still two games to go. Comebacks from 3-0 simply do not happen that often (although more often in hockey than any other sport). If the Oilers do manage to come back, it will be an all-time sports moment, especially with Connor McDavid going supernova to make it happen.

If I'm not mistaken there's only been 4 reverse sweeps or "comebacks" and only ONE in the finals. So yeah... Not likely, but like Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber... there's a chance lol

It would be amazing. In Edmonton’s position I would rather take the home ice advantage on game 6 rather than game 7, so there’s that.

Yeah, a great finals. Only thing it was missing was OT. I would not be surprised to see the Oilers back here next year, that level of talent cannot be denied eventually. Now we move into the buyout period, the draft, and free agency, all over the next 7 days. What a time to be alive!

Yeah, a great finals. Only thing it was missing was OT. I would not be surprised to see the Oilers back here next year, that level of talent cannot be denied eventually. Now we move into the buyout period, the draft, and free agency, all over the next 7 days. What a time to be alive!
Yeah, I love this time of year ... Bruins/Sens made an interesting trade today.
I kinda disagree with Edmonton coming back ... they have top end talent, but a lot of forwards on the wrong side of 30 and Nurse, while I think an overall good player (despite a pretty poor finals) and his contract will quickly turn into an albatross. They pretty much need to get everything right this off season and find someway to shore up the D with no cap room

As a New Jersey Devils fan I was rooting for Florida as thanks for stopping our arch-rival New York Rangers who looked like a serious Cup favorite.
However my favorite player in the series is Oiler Adam Henrique, I would have been very happy to see him raise The Cup.
Rico (as he was called) is forever immortalized in the eyes of Devils fans for this OT goal that clinched the Eastern Conference Finals in 2012:

Back