Official Hockey discussion thread

I think Ovi's play this year has hindered his chances of breaking Gretzky's records more than the pandemic.

Crosby will get to those metrics. He'll get to 1300 points very soon, he's only 8 away! I don't know if 27 more goals this year are in the hopper, but I feel like he'll get there next year. Sid's still really damn good.

I just watched the first episodes of the new Mighty Ducks show. I really liked it.

Making fun of hockey parents will always work for me. They're obnoxious and horrible and spend a huge amount of money trying to make hockey exclusive for people who have the money to spend. It's such a problem in Toronto, in real life, that Toronto hockey stars are trying to buy the kid's league so they can make it more accessible (despite themselves profiting on the way the system works). Emelio Estevez is back and great as Gordon Bombay. He feels real and just the same character, more broken down.

Great to see Dylan Playfair of Letterkenny doing great. He gets hockey, his dad was a pro player and coach of the Flames, but he seems to love lancing hockey culture.

I always connect, mentally, with the kid who is bullied and excluded, just like I did in the original Mighty Ducks movies. So yeah, that is always gonna work for me. Tossing in a bullied parent helps too. Law firms, again, are designed to be a representative of evil, and they go to a cartoonish length to show it. At some point we know that Evan's mom will quit her job and do hockey full time, or get a job that doesn't involve working for law firms. Sorry lawyers, you're irrevocably evil.

Actually, almost makes me wonder if Gordon Bombay will start a law firm for the underprivileged or something, to bring his story full circle.

When Evan wears the maroon Minnesota sweater, just like Charlie Conway used to, I smiled. It made me very, very happy.

Overall, really good and fun start.

How 'bout that ref getting fired for getting caught not being fair? lol. Like... we KNOW it's a thing.... this dumbass just got caught.

Yo! Boston just acquired Taylor Hall Curtis Lazarfor Anders Bjork and a 2nd round pick! Can we say... STEAL! Well... at least on paper, who knows how they'll perform on their new teams and that second round pick could end up being a revelation. But for now... WHAT A STEAL!

How 'bout that ref getting fired for getting caught not being fair? lol. Like... we KNOW it's a thing.... this dumbass just got caught.
He didn't really get fired. He was a month from retirement, they just told him to not show up again. So he got a paid vacation before he could go get his pension.

Yo! Boston just acquired Taylor Hall Curtis Lazarfor Anders Bjork and a 2nd round pick! Can we say... STEAL! Well... at least on paper, who knows how they'll perform on their new teams and that second round pick could end up being a revelation. But for now... WHAT A STEAL!
Yeah Kevyn Adams did a terrible job getting value out of Taylor Hall. Jarmo K. in Columbus got two firsts for spare parts and Adams only got a 2nd for a guy who was league MVP 3 years ago. It's pathetic.

Yikes, that is pretty bad. I've seen a couple of videos of, "are the sabres the worst team ever?" And they all place the blame on ownership and management, not really the players since, again, on paper it's a solid cast.

What's funny is The Bruins selected Seguin AFTER Hall, they got rid of Seguin and now traded for Hall. He's price tag is expensive, doubt he'll resign and he's 29. B's are definitely in the "win now" mentality.

The Hawks just got more for Janmark (an 2nd and a 3rd for Janmark and a 5th) than the Sabers did for Hall. Happy with that trade for sure, really all the moves the Hawks have made look pretty good. Hoping there is one more for either Kampf or Soderberg for a late pick.

Yeah, Stan Bowman is doing a good job refilling the cupboards. Good on him. A pretty weak deadline, but that will happen in a fake season with a flat cap.

Fuckin Steve Yzerman just fleeced the Caps. Anthony Mantha for a 1st, 2nd, Richard Panik, and Jakub Vrana.

Just don't talk to Yzerman, guys.

Fuckin Steve Yzerman just fleeced the Caps. Anthony Mantha for a 1st, 2nd, Richard Panik, and Jakub Vrana.

Just don't talk to Yzerman, guys.
Yeah ... Mantha never reached his potential .. part of the question is how much of this is him versus playing on the Red Wings recently .. but that is an impressive haul for him. I expect him to be better on the Caps, but not that much better.

Yeah ... Mantha never reached his potential .. part of the question is how much of this is him versus playing on the Red Wings recently .. but that is an impressive haul for him. I expect him to be better on the Caps, but not that much better.
He scored in his first game. So far so good.

Know a few folks have Athletic subscriptions ... if so, you should read this if you have not already. I would go see this movie/watch this series

Yeah, I love The Athletic! I mostly got it for Sean McIndoe's hockey humour, but I read three or four articles every day there.

The Hawks chances of making the playoffs pretty much ended last night, their record against Nashville did them in. Still a much better than expected season, I have watched all but 3 games and they have some young talent and I feel good about next season. Word is Toews will be back, he is obviously not the player he was, but he is still pretty effective.

In other news, the U18 World Championships are playing near me. Just bought tickets to see Germany v Finland next Friday. The US game was sold out. Might try to get to one other game as well, but so far schedule-wise, that is the one I know I can make for sure. Will be cool to see an actual live event.

In other news, the U18 World Championships are playing near me. Just bought tickets to see Germany v Finland next Friday. The US game was sold out. Might try to get to one other game as well, but so far schedule-wise, that is the one I know I can make for sure. Will be cool to see an actual live event.
Always a good tournament! Have lots of fun.

Yeah. Looking forward to it. Never thought this would be held in Texas. The rink is a 20 min drive from.my house. Nice rink. The Stars use it for training camp
Given the work the Stars have done growing the game in Texas, it's a good reward. If the rumours turn out to be true and the Coyotes end up moving to Houston, that's going to be further proof of the work they've done preparing the state for a winter game. It's pretty freaking cool.

Given the work the Stars have done growing the game in Texas, it's a good reward. If the rumours turn out to be true and the Coyotes end up moving to Houston, that's going to be further proof of the work they've done preparing the state for a winter game. It's pretty freaking cool.
Yeah. Houston makes a ton of sense. Huge population, many transplants from traditional hockey cities, good corporate base, and a really nice arena in a really good location.

Back