Official Hockey discussion thread

They can announce it in arena, but the actual credits are assigned by Hockey Ops in Toronto, just like video review and stuff. Hockey Ops is a really cool place.

They can announce it in arena, but the actual credits are assigned by Hockey Ops in Toronto, just like video review and stuff. Hockey Ops is a really cool place.
Yeah .. now .. but pre- hockey ops is a different story. Would be interesting to see 1980s point splits home and away .. particularly for the North Stars .. they were always the worst offender.

Yeah .. now .. but pre- hockey ops is a different story. Would be interesting to see 1980s point splits home and away .. particularly for the North Stars .. they were always the worst offender.
Absolutely. The 80s are a weird time for stats for a ton of reasons, and hometown inflation isn't the least of them. You'd need to watch every game over again and hope you have good enough quality to get it right, though. Be an interesting experience, anyway.

Absolutely. The 80s are a weird time for stats for a ton of reasons, and hometown inflation isn't the least of them. You'd need to watch every game over again and hope you have good enough quality to get it right, though. Be an interesting experience, anyway.
I had hoped someone would have spent this pandemic time doing that :)

I have this bad habit when I'm watching a movie with someone I point out what other movies an actor I recognize has been in or tell them the actor's bio or what other actor they look like.

My GF and I are watching Vikings season 6 and this new guy shows up for like 3 episodes. I tell her, "That dude looks like this hockey player... Brent Burns, has the beard and missing teeth... so weird." She's like, "That's nice honey." Then I'm like, "No, I'm serious look...." I google him and show her a picture, she says, "Babe, that IS him," Obviously I google "Brent Burns Vikings" and holy shit it IS him! LOL. Dude nailed his part! That's what threw me off, the acting was so good I was like, this is NOT the pro athlete, but it was. Guess he can always turn to hollywood after retirement.

A bit of a revelation for me earlier this week. I have never liked the points system after they got rid of ties just based on some games being worth 3 points and others 2.

The Hawks went to OT in back to back games and lost both to the Preds (one in OT and one in a shootout).

The second game really drove home why I dislike the points system so much, from 12:00 to about 2:30 remaining in the 3rd, the game was really exciting, good pace, some good chances (and excellent goaltending on both sides). Few stoppages, etc.

Then around 2:30 both teams really packed it up and played to get at least the 1 point. Really brought the game play to a crashing halt.

I really wish they would change this system and make all games worth the same number of points. Either 3 for a regulation win or get rid of the extra point for an OTL

Funny, I heard they instituted the new system, because teams were just playing for the tie and no incentive to win.

Funny, I heard they instituted the new system, because teams were just playing for the tie and no incentive to win.
I think they just wanted to get rid of ties. I would rather they gold back to the old system but keep 3 on 3 in OT. If tied after 5 either play another 5 or end it in a tie.

Hawks take 4 points from the Stars .... they are 6-1-4 since their first 3 games, where they looked like completely horrid. Lot's of young players contributing and Kane is Kane, but looks like they found their goalie.

Added bonus, they got Bowey in a game. He looked horrible, but he is now eligible for exposure in the expansion draft and lets them protect Murphy

Yeah, important to get those guys in to be able to expose them. Chicago is doing good, beating the Stars twice makes them look better than expected. Goaltending is voodoo and you never know when someone will explode and take off - or come crashing down to earth.

Speaking of better than expected, some canadian teams are reaping the rewards of not playing american teams

Lot's of young players contributing and Kane is Kane, but looks like they found their goalie.

I'm very happy for Kevin Lankinen getting this chance, he's been very promising and he pretty much played himself into the hearts of the Finnish people in World Championships 2019. Chicago is definitely good place for such a goaltender at the moment, since you definitely get to play... Obviously it tells more about their selection of goalies, but all the more reason it's a great change for Lankinen to make his breakthrough to NHL level.

If Lankinen keeps playing well, he's also a strong candidate for the Finnish Olympic team next year, among few others of course.

Kaner, man. He's a great freaking player, and he's pulling the Hawks on his back this year. One of the best goal scorers of the dead puck era.

I thought the dead puck era was the 90s.... But yeah, He's on fire, seems to only get better and dude is 33.... hope he plays a few more years.

I thought the dead puck era was the 90s.... But yeah, He's on fire, seems to only get better and dude is 33.... hope he plays a few more years.
The Dead Puck Era starts in 1995 and continues until today, no matter what people tell you. Goals per game are still at or below 6.

The Dead Puck Era starts in 1995 and continues until today, no matter what people tell you. Goals per game are still at or below 6.

True, but in the 95 NJ popularized the TRAP, then, fairly recently Tampa and philly tried that 1-2-1 crap or whatever. Aside from "systems," athletes throughout the line-up are better. Better fed, better trained, better skilled than their 70s/80s counterparts. Goalies are "athletic" and routinely 6'4. Gone are the days of Richter or Vernon and the 5'3, 5'5 goalie or "the fat kid." Goalies have MUCH better equipment that doesn't weigh a ton by the end of the game from sweat and melted ice. I don't see anything "fixing" that. No shootout, no 3-3 OT, or getting rid of lines on the ice.

I am not really sure it needs fixing, they did crack down a bit on the goalie pads and eliminating the 2 line pass were good changes IMO. I'd hate to see them do anything else with the lines. I do agree that the goalies are the biggest difference, they are big and incredibly athletic. There have been suggestions to make the net bigger, I see pluses and minuses to that depending on how much bigger and if they are talking about wider versus taller.

There have been suggestions to make the net bigger, I see pluses and minuses to that depending on how much bigger and if they are talking about wider versus taller.
Ken Dryden said he prefers making the nets bigger, and I mean, he ought to know a little about it.

Back