Official Hockey discussion thread

I hate to be selfish, but I hope it doesn't happen. I love my Tucson Roadrunners, and that team wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Coyotes. That aside, yeah, rumors of them folding/leaving have been around forever.

I hate to be selfish, but I hope it doesn't happen. I love my Tucson Roadrunners, and that team wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Coyotes. That aside, yeah, rumors of them folding/leaving have been around forever.
I mean, if Tucson is making it work, it's unlikely that Houston would move them. But that's the future, yeah?

So the universe continues to conspire to convince me to get Disney+. There's all the obvious reasons, Disney classics, Star Wars, and Marvel. Then the hits, The Mandalorian, the nostalgia, The Mighty Ducks and now.... Hockey. Apparently Turner, Disney and ESPN came to a 7 year deal with the NHL. Considering Disney+ is 8.99 a month and NHL.tv was like 300 bucks a season... um.... Yes please!

So the universe continues to conspire to convince me to get Disney+. There's all the obvious reasons, Disney classics, Star Wars, and Marvel. Then the hits, The Mandalorian, the nostalgia, The Mighty Ducks and now.... Hockey. Apparently Turner, Disney and ESPN came to a 7 year deal with the NHL. Considering Disney+ is 8.99 a month and NHL.tv was like 300 bucks a season... um.... Yes please!

It sounds like NHL.tv (which I also pay for), will be on ESPN+ not Disney, though Disney does sell a bundle that includes those 2 plus Hulu (with commercials) for $20-ish a month.

Found this handy pic

cut.jpg

Tortella out as CBJ coach after 6 seasons.
Tocchet out as AZ coach after 4 seasons.
McDavid hits 100 points in 53 games, first in 25 years to do so and his 4th 100 point season to date.
Mathews gets to 40 goals.
Toronto clinches division title.
Penguins clinch their first division title in 6 years.
Ovi couldn't get to a decent goal total due to injury. The shortened seasons already were conspiring against him, now his health. Reachong Gretzky is looking less and less likely.

For a "fake" season, quite a lot of shit went down.... Already looking forward to the playoffs.

It was a weird season, but I do give the NHL credit for making it happen (and last seasons playoffs/bubble) ... they did a good job getting a ton of games played.

I would not mind the 2 game sets continuing next year (maybe just for division games)

I think the 2 game sets are good, but 8-9 games with the same teams was a little tiresome by the end. The semis of the playoffs should be much fun, just to see things change up a bit. Still, this season had lots of good (Connor and Austen going off, the rise of Carolina, Nashville's playoff push, Sid being awesome, Lake Tahoe visuals, Karill in Minnesota), bad (whatever happened in the Rangers front office) and ugly (Tom Wilson, the Lake Tahoe ice).

I think the 2 game sets are good, but 8-9 games with the same teams was a little tiresome by the end. The semis of the playoffs should be much fun, just to see things change up a bit. Still, this season had lots of good (Connor and Austen going off, the rise of Carolina, Nashville's playoff push, Sid being awesome, Lake Tahoe visuals, Karill in Minnesota), bad (whatever happened in the Rangers front office) and ugly (Tom Wilson, the Lake Tahoe ice).
Yeah .. playing all games within the division got a bit old as the season went along. I can see the league shifting the schedule to being a bit more division based next year. I assume teams like the 2 game sets to reduce travel expenses (and I am sure the players like less travel as well). The only thing is they need to be sure to space those sets through the season

But the international aspect of the league obviously made division only games necessary this year. The NBA/MLB had it easier with Toronto having to play exclusively in the US to get around that.

I assume teams like the 2 game sets to reduce travel expenses (and I am sure the players like less travel as well).
Travel expenses and travel exposure to COVID. Thankfully most NHL teams are now vaccinated (well, as much as those guys are going to get vaccinated).

Travel expenses and travel exposure to COVID. Thankfully most NHL teams are now vaccinated (well, as much as those guys are going to get vaccinated).
Yeah ... COVID for this year was the main driver, but ideally next year travel expenses will be the only factor .. plus some extra rest for players.

Playoffs are on for this saturday. I'm pretty stoked, not gonna lie.

McDavid passes 100 points, hurts to think what he could've done in a full 82 game season.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Fleury became the 3rd winningestest goelie ever.

Oh yeah, Jack Eichel putting Buffalo on blast. We didn't really have drama with the coach firings, might as well have player-management drama.

That Eichel thing was insane, seriously. I've never seen the like of it, sitting at the team's official media availability and just putting the entire group on notice. Good for him, though. As he pointed out, he doesn't have any hard control over his own medical journey, so he needs to execute soft power wherever he can.

Yeah, it's crazy to see how little the league has changed in some regards. Like, you would totally expect this in the 80s and 90s, but now? Post Crosby concussion NHL? Bonkers.

Yeah, it's crazy to see how little the league has changed in some regards. Like, you would totally expect this in the 80s and 90s, but now? Post Crosby concussion NHL? Bonkers.
Before this year, the players had the right to get a second opinion and appeal team medical decisions to an arbitrator, but during the COVID-related CBA rejiggering this was quietly removed. So now, the second opinion goes to the team doc, who makes the final decision regardless.

Rangers fire their coach. After firing their GM. And their president. Chris Drury is now GM/president. That's a name I haven't heard in for EVER. I think he's on some list of the most this, the best that for U.S born players. Most of his accolades came from his university years, though.

Boston wants to retain Hall and Hall says he wants to stay. *sigh*, It's all about the money of course. He's also 29. IMO he's on the wrong side of 20, he's expensive, he's mostly hype. I mean, a #1 pick with only ONE good season. He's clearly talented, broke a few of Gretzky's Oilers records. He did really well when he arrived in Boston. 14 points in 16 games. BUT, but... the price tag has to come down. Boston needs to get YOUNGER, not older. our core is fucking ancient at this point with maybe 2 solid seasons left. Look at Krecji, He's an assist BEAST, but his scoring has all but disappeared. He's never been a point machine, but he could be counted on for like 60 points a season. The only positives I see with the bruins right now is their defense. Yes, losing Dougie Hamilton sucked, so was losing Krug, but losing Chara was a good thing (again, age, contract, etc.) And I really like the guys that are still there. Rask is still good, but like Bergeron and Krecji maybe has 2 or 3 season left in him. Decisions, decisions.

Rangers fire their coach. After firing their GM. And their president. Chris Drury is now GM/president. That's a name I haven't heard in for EVER. I think he's on some list of the most this, the best that for U.S born players. Most of his accolades came from his university years, though.

Boston wants to retain Hall and Hall says he wants to stay. *sigh*, It's all about the money of course. He's also 29. IMO he's on the wrong side of 20, he's expensive, he's mostly hype. I mean, a #1 pick with only ONE good season. He's clearly talented, broke a few of Gretzky's Oilers records. He did really well when he arrived in Boston. 14 points in 16 games. BUT, but... the price tag has to come down. Boston needs to get YOUNGER, not older. our core is fucking ancient at this point with maybe 2 solid seasons left. Look at Krecji, He's an assist BEAST, but his scoring has all but disappeared. He's never been a point machine, but he could be counted on for like 60 points a season. The only positives I see with the bruins right now is their defense. Yes, losing Dougie Hamilton sucked, so was losing Krug, but losing Chara was a good thing (again, age, contract, etc.) And I really like the guys that are still there. Rask is still good, but like Bergeron and Krecji maybe has 2 or 3 season left in him. Decisions, decisions.
Yeah .. I would be wary of signing Hall to any kind of term. If he were to take a reasonable 2 or 3 year contract, sure. But I would not sign him for longer than that .. especially given a flat cap for the next few years

Back