Official Hockey discussion thread

Ken Dryden said he prefers making the nets bigger, and I mean, he ought to know a little about it.
Dryden, beyond being one of the better goalies of all time, is certainly a very smart person. Him pulling for it is one of the reasons I think it is worth exploring, the question is (if they decide to do it) how much bigger and in what direction(s)

Dryden, beyond being one of the better goalies of all time, is certainly a very smart person. Him pulling for it is one of the reasons I think it is worth exploring, the question is (if they decide to do it) how much bigger and in what direction(s)
I think it has to be wider, rather than taller if they go for it. Even a few inches would make goalies move more, and that would help a lot. I mean the game has gone from this:

1614635435544.png

to this:

1614635489792.png

More like from this from when I started watching

Rc5655305a688ad9beabb60233f136a6f

I am thinking 6 inches wider and 3 inches taller

A real shame, he was really good and signed a bad contract (for the team, great contract for him). Too bad he is going out this way, but great career for sure.

Longtime Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook is ending his NHL career due to mounting injury issues.

The 35-year-old blueliner hasn't played an NHL game since November 2019. Last winter, he underwent major hip and shoulder surgeries and had recovered enough to participate in Chicago's 2020 summer camp. But a back injury sustained just before the start of training camp has kept him sidelined.

While Seabrook, a three-time Stanley Cup champion, is effectively retiring, he'll be placed on long-term injured reserve until his eight-year, $55 million contract expires in 2024.

An Olympic gold medalist with Canada in 2010, Seabrook has spent his entire career with the Blackhawks, recording 103 goals with 361 assists in 1,114 games.

Isn't that what they did with Hossa, too? The Bruins did that with Marc Savard.

Kinda, but Hossa's situation was weird, he was still playing pretty well, nowhere near his peak, but he was still effective. But the skin condition he got and the danger of the treatment pretty much forced him to stop playing (and get his contract traded to Phoenix).

Yeah, Phoenix made some boneheaded moves out of necessity. Not just Hossa's, but Datsyuk's as well. Those moves came back to haunt them, I hope it was worth not getting fined for being under the cap or whatever the reason for those moves were.

Phoenix gathered all those LTIR contracts to save money when the NHL was looking for an owner. It's the same move Eugene Melnyk has been pulling with LTIR to field a team while spending well under the cap.

Seabrook had a good one. I don't think he's being held out because of his contract, the hip issues are legitimate and it's a quality of life thing at this point.

Phoenix gathered all those LTIR contracts to save money when the NHL was looking for an owner. It's the same move Eugene Melnyk has been pulling with LTIR to field a team while spending well under the cap.

Seabrook had a good one. I don't think he's being held out because of his contract, the hip issues are legitimate and it's a quality of life thing at this point.
Yeah .. he had 3 surgeries last year and seemed to be ready to come back this season, which honestly was going to cause problems since they wanted to the play the younger d-men (who have been solid to good). Then he had a back issue which seems to be ongoing. It's the right call for him.

Here’s Friedman on the change:
"Well, first of all, we should let everyone know this is not an interim job. Darryl Sutter has been given a three year deal, including this season, which ties him to Brad Treliving, the general manager. They now both have the same term."

And Sutter wants to win another cup:

The sting of defeat still smarts for Darryl Sutter.

It’s been nearly 17 years since he guided the Flames to the Stanley Cup final, only to lose to the Tampa Bay Lightning in a gutting seven-game series.

The result continues to guide Sutter as he returns to Calgary for a second stint as the team’s head coach.

He still remembers sitting on the flight home from Florida, thinking about the loss and how it impacted everyone associated with the club, from the players up to the owners. “For me, it’s unfinished business,” Sutter said Friday.

Having Sutter on for 3 years is one last attempt at success before it's to rebuild again - and trade away Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau etc.

Somewhat ironically, Sutter's failure as GM of the Flames in the post lockout era - clinging on far too long to the 2004 cup run core - Iginla/Kiprusoff/Regehr, set him up for 2 cup wins with L.A.

Last edited:
I was just reminded of the infamous Patrik Stefan missed open net goal:

Fun fact - if Stefan buries that, Edmonton ends the year in 26th instead of 25th place. In 2007, the 26th overall team won the draft lottery and moved up to first overall, drafting Patrick Kane.

Fun fact - if Stefan buries that, Edmonton ends the year in 26th instead of 25th place. In 2007, the 26th overall team won the draft lottery and moved up to first overall, drafting Patrick Kane.
He's about to play his 1,000 game. I wonder if it's going to be as pompous as Crosby's. I remember when all players got was a video. Crosby got a mosaic, the video, his GF beside him, a super stick or whatever.... Curious to see what they do for Kane.

He's about to play his 1,000 game. I wonder if it's going to be as pompous as Crosby's. I remember when all players got was a video. Crosby got a mosaic, the video, his GF beside him, a super stick or whatever.... Curious to see what they do for Kane.
Hawks were on the road, the telecast showed some videos from current and former teammates though the game.

The Hawks put this out, which was pretty funny

Too bad they did not show up to play last night, easily their worse effort of the year (including the first 3 games of the season)

Well.... they allowed 6 goals in back to back games, they haven't been showing up, but then again, we knew that going into the season. The only bright stop, for me, IS Kane.

So Patrick Marleu is only a few game away from most in NHL history, Malkin just reached the 1100 point mark, Ovi tied Esposito in goals and I just can't help but wonder.... how many reachable milestones has COVID fucked over? It kept Ovi and Pastrnak from having 50 goal seasons last year, will it hinder Ovi's chances of reaching/passing Gretzky? Will Crosby reach 500 goals? Will he reach 1300 points like Ovi did?

Back