Official Football Thread

Celtic got absolutely battered by PSG tonight - their worst ever home defeat in Europe. A Celtic fan even ran on to the pitch in the first half and aimed a kick at Kylian Mbappe (and missed), which was closer than any of the Celtic players got to him. PSG are quite good.

I actually watched the Man U match at the pub. Nothing interesting to talk about there.

Watched the PSG game in full. Trying to catch all of their games this season, they might be the most entertaining team to watch in football right now.

Watched the Barca-Juve game yesterday and I think that Lionel Messi is in one of his best forms of his life. He shat on Juve. Nelson Semedo is also incredible, Dembele still needs time to adapt and Suarez is currently pure and utter shit.

Chaos at the Emirates Stadium right now. More Cologne fans traveled to London than the away allocation but away fans bought tickets from Arsenal fans and tried to get over the barriers to get into the away end. Apparently there's loads of away fans in the home sections.

Also, Vitoria Guimarães fielded a team completely made of non-Europeans.

DJ7D_Y5XkAARCRe.jpg:large

So Alexis starts vs Koln and is benched against Chelsea... Wenger is just trolling at this point :p

I have to gripe about the way football is broadcast in the US. The American commentators attempt to call the game like an NFL game (incessant talking about everything and anything, combined with a never-ending litany of statistics).

After all the talk of Barcelona's demise after losing Neymar, they are now on top of La Liga with 5 wins in 5 games and 15 points, while Real Madrid is 7 points behind...

City is playing phenomenal football. 5-0, 6-0 and 5-0 wins in their last three league matches.

Dortmund look like they might legitimately challenge Bayern this season, off to a flying start. 6-1 win against Mönchengladbach today. 5 W 1 D after six matches with a +18 goal difference.

First signs of trouble at Milan this season. Won all 5 European games against much weaker opposition and won 4 out of 6 in Serie A, but got thrashed 4:1 by Lazio and 2:0 by Sampdoria which were our only serious opponents this season. Personally... both losses are on Montella and his odd team selection and late subs.

Against Lazio he benched Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Andre Silva and Kalinic and started with friggin' Montolivo and Borini (and Cutrone who is very talented but still unexperienced for big games). Silva scored 5 in 5 EL games, but Montella doesn't play him in the league (didn't play in 4 out of 6 games, only started one). Then today he started Zapata instead of Musacchio and Zapata basically assisted Sampdoria's first goal. He still didn't make a single sub until we conceded in 70th or so minute. And again Silva wasn't subbed in.

Honestly, if we're not in Top 4 by December he should get sacked. I know we've been doing it a lot lately, but these 2 losses are 100% Montella's fault. Next game against Roma will be crucial to see how it's gonna go for him this season. Even though we won 9 out of 11 games so far, most of those were quite scrappy...

Back