Official Football Thread

Leeds were a basket case of a club though. Peter Ridsdale took out a humongous loan in the expectation that Leeds would be in the Champions League the next season but they didn't qualify and everything went downhill from there. I don't know how well Sunderland is run but I don't think relegation that would hurt them as badly as it hurt Leeds. Don't you want to win a trophy?

Leeds were a basket case of a club though. Peter Ridsdale took out a humongous loan in the expectation that Leeds would be in the Champions League the next season but they didn't qualify and everything went downhill from there. I don't know how well Sunderland is run but I don't think relegation that would hurt them as badly as it hurt Leeds. Don't you want to win a trophy?

Not at the risk of being left with a big expensive stadium with nobody in it. It's not a wealthy area, and second-rate matches just wouldn't be worth it for a lot of people.

It's a pity that Sunderland couldn't hold out against City.

On a different note, the prize for "silliest football personality of the weekend" goes to Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:

gwu.gif

Brigantium, I saw lots of the Mackems around Marylebone after the match, and spoke to a few. Seemed like they were all in good spirits and enjoyed the day despite the result. They were more concerned about the next pint, haha. Sounds like it was a good game too.

Yeah, everyone I know was just delighted to get the chance to go to Wembley. Sunderland did well in the first half and that threw down the gauntlet. It would have been a dull match if City had dominated right from the start.

Last edited:
That's great news for every other team in Italy.

The Italian football team will be wearing a kit that massages them during the World Cup: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-26450531

The shirts, which will be worn for the first time at Wednesday's friendly against Spain, contain a special tape that provides "micro-massages" for the wearer, Italian news website Il Sole 24 Ore reports. The massage strips "maximise muscle power" by allowing the body to recover from exertion more quickly, the manufacturer says.

Back