Official Football Thread

Anyways, I have to say I don't approve of dives in general but I realise they are a part of the game. Some people are more prone to using such methods to gain advantage but it's not really their fault that referees can't spot the difference.

The part in bold is just why I think video reviews of games should be used to ban players. It would at least help get rid of the blatant ones (like the Rivaldo one that @Black Wizard linked to). The ref doesn't always have the best position to see what happens and he has to make his decision based on what he sees there and then. But if Rivaldo had received a five-match ban for that moronic behaviour, Busquets had been grounded for the next few games for pretending to have been deadly hurt against Inter etc., maybe the top players would consider cutting that part from their game.

Despite Rivaldo's behaviour, the other player behaviour deserved a booking too.

Another Brazilian player (Juninho) also took a dive just five minutes before that (86th minute, I think), winning them a penalty scored by Rivaldo that helped them beat us 2-1. Hence the reaction by the player who was shown a red card. The game's referee had to retire after the game because of the worldwide criticism.

If anything is going to be done about diving it should be tackled at grassroots level. Kids who see Gareth Bale dive and win penalties will try it out themselves and that kind of attitude propagates throughout youth teams and up the age categories until the kid become a professional.

Regardless, he told the referee that there was no foul. If he dived and then got second thoughts - fine. Most players who dive seem to be rather happy with getting penalties from it.

Wiiiiiiiigaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! :D

What a result! What a cock-up from Manchester City. Surely, surely, surely Arsenal can't screw this up now...

Of course, but lightning rarely strikes twice. It's mad enough that Wigan have beaten Mansour al-City for the second season running but I think Arsenal have been warned.

I bet Atletico Madrid are laughing their asses off every time he makes a mistake. Best transfer ever. Got him for free then sold him less than 2 months later for £4.2 million. Genius.

Al City have all the money in the world yet they buy a washed up 33 year old to be their starting center back. Almost as bad as Barca buying defensive midfielders (Mascherano, Song) to play them as defenders.

For a long time he was getting games ahead of Joleon Lescott. Now Lescott isn't the world's best defender by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not as calamitous as Demichelis.

Back